• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#91 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Good eyes, susanger.  Hanna is listed as part of the ensemble.

http://www.broadwayw...st_type=current

#92 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

Here is an interview with director and choreographer Josh Bergasse regarding On the Town.

http://broadwaydirec...paign=issue 105

#93 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

If anyone is considering going to see Megan Fairchild/On the Town, this is rehearsal footage from the "Miss Turnstiles Ballet" with Ms. Fairchild:

(Actually, as far as I can tell, it's footage of the entirety of the ballet).  Ms. Fairchild seems quite charming in the clip.

And in case anyone is wondering, no, Ivy, her character is an entirely non-singing role, and there's really not a whole lot of non-dancing acting in her part either.  It's really almost entirely dancing, and most of that is heavily ballet based.

Early reviews and buzz for the Broadway transfer seem positive.  It could run for a while.

#94 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

http://www.playbill....pcoming-Revival

I happened to see this item on the efforts of producers of On The Town to raise additional capital for the show from small "accredited" investors.  I don't regard this as a good sign.  When a musical or play seems like it will be a big hit, the regular roster of broadway investors line up in droves because they feel they can make a tidy profit.  .

These "crowdfunding" platforms are the new vogue in business fundraising, and I've seen a bunch of these new platforms are being launched in the wake of the JOBS Act.  I didn't know that theatrical producers were attempting this as well, but I can't say I'm surprised.

#95 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

For Megan Fairchild:  in the last few years she has seemed to develop as an artist, something that I have found reflected in (what I would call) her musicality in particular. I wish her success if she wants to do Broadway, but I'm not altogether convinced that doing a Broadway show is the best choice for her to continue developing as a ballet dancer.  Broadway aficionados may be able to explain to me why it could be and she may have other things in mind anyway. (Probably does.) I do hope it at least expands her ability to project and dance 'big' -- which I think could add to her palette as a dancer.

Honestly, I don't know if this will be a net positive if we're looking at it solely through the prism of her career as a ballet dancer.  However, I think stretching boundaries, opening horizons and being exposed to other artistic approaches is a good thing as an overall artist and as a person.  

I also think it's interesting that you bring up musicality as the area that she has grown the most in recently because I do think that a year of dancing to Bernstein and working with professional jazz dancers could be a positive for her in this area.  The score to On the Town is interesting, complex and certainly food for musical thought, and Tony Yazbek who is playing opposite her is an exceptional jazz dancer and musical theatre performer.

As an audience member, I am more concerned for Robbie Fairchild and An American in Paris.  In the Gene Kelly role, Mr. Fairchild is going to have to carry that piece, and in the clips I've seen of him jazz dancing I'm not totally sold on his ability to do that yet.  The Gershwin music is tough, and I'm not sure he has the chops to phrase the music well and it's really crucial for that to work.

#96 NinaFan

NinaFan

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

I saw “On The Town” on Saturday and it was great!  The story line is pretty much the same as in the movie.   Megan was terrific as Ivy.   Her dancing was gorgeous, and as far as her acting, I would never have known it was her first time in a speaking role.  She didn't sing, except to just go through a few bars in a singing class.  The dancing was very balletic throughout the show, whether it was the corps or the lead three sailors and Megan.  The actors playing Hildy and Claire did all of the female solos, with Hildy having a particularly commanding presence and a really strong voice.  All three sailors were a lot of fun.  This show should be a hit for balletomanes and anyone who loves a great Broadway musical.

#97 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the review!  Glad you enjoyed the show.  I'm seeing it in  a few weeks.  I heard an interview in which J. Bergasse said that given the high level of Megan's skills, he increased and expanded the choreography for the Ivy character compared to the show's previous out of town production in Barrington MA two years ago (which Megan was not a part of).

#98 NinaFan

NinaFan

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

abatt, you’re going to love the show!  I didn’t know they ramped up the role of Ivy for Megan, but it does not surprise me.   I was so happy to see the choreography make complete use of her talents.   The audience really seemed to appreciate her dancing.   At intermission I overheard what were probably some casual ballet goers mention that they thought she was from ABT.  I hated to look like I was eavesdropping, but I corrected them anyway.  ;-) 

#99 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,580 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

Nice cover on Dance Magazine

#100 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted Today, 05:16 AM

This is an article from today's NY Times.  It discusses ticket sales of various shows and mentions that sales for certain shows, such as On the Town, have been "slow". 

http://www.nytimes.c...l?ref=arts&_r=0

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):