• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

When Robert LaFosse did Jerome Robbins' Broadway, was he still with ABT or had he already moved over to NYCB.   So sorry I never got to see that show.  It came out when I was just getting started in my career, so no funds available for cultural events. I wish they would revive it.

#17 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Wow. I never knew LaFosse had been with ABT. In fact, the only thing I knew of his work was when the cast of Fosse: The Musical, appeared on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy  telethon. 

I'm just in awe of the breadth of knowledge of the people on this forum.  

#18 SingerWhoMoves

SingerWhoMoves

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

I believe it was Stroman who suggested Tiler begin taking classes at SAB. :-)
Also, dont forget Stephen Hanna who dod Billy Elliot on Broadway, went back to NYCB and then back to Billy.
There are also a few former NYCB women who did Phantom on Broadway and on tour. Amanda Edge springs to mind first.

#19 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

SingerWhoMoves, that's a cool name.  

#20 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

Wow. I never knew LaFosse had been with ABT. In fact, the only thing I knew of his work was when the cast of Fosse: The Musical, appeared on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy  telethon.

There's a very nice write-up on his extensive career on his faculty page at Barnard College, where he teaches in the Dance Department: https://dance.barnar.../robert-lafosse

#21 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

I believe it was Stroman who suggested Tiler begin taking classes at SAB. :-)
Also, dont forget Stephen Hanna who dod Billy Elliot on Broadway, went back to NYCB and then back to Billy.
There are also a few former NYCB women who did Phantom on Broadway and on tour. Amanda Edge springs to mind first.

This is a little off the subject perhaps, but the late (great) actor, Eli Wallach was a student of Martha Graham's for quite awhile.  He even did her warm ups pre performance.

#22 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

Going back a ways there was the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo in Song of Norway with choreography by Balanchine.

Charles Ward of ABT was in Bob Fosse's Dancin'.

#23 NinaFan

NinaFan

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

When Robert LaFosse did Jerome Robbins' Broadway, was he still with ABT or had he already moved over to NYCB.   So sorry I never got to see that show.  It came out when I was just getting started in my career, so no funds available for cultural events. I wish they would revive it.

LaFosse had already been a principal at NYCB for several years before performing in Jerome Robbin's Broadway. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):