This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Megan Fairchild to Make Her Broadway Debut in "On The Town"

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

When Robert LaFosse did Jerome Robbins' Broadway, was he still with ABT or had he already moved over to NYCB.   So sorry I never got to see that show.  It came out when I was just getting started in my career, so no funds available for cultural events. I wish they would revive it.

#17 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Wow. I never knew LaFosse had been with ABT. In fact, the only thing I knew of his work was when the cast of Fosse: The Musical, appeared on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy  telethon. 

I'm just in awe of the breadth of knowledge of the people on this forum.  

#18 SingerWhoMoves

SingerWhoMoves

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

I believe it was Stroman who suggested Tiler begin taking classes at SAB. :-)
Also, dont forget Stephen Hanna who dod Billy Elliot on Broadway, went back to NYCB and then back to Billy.
There are also a few former NYCB women who did Phantom on Broadway and on tour. Amanda Edge springs to mind first.

#19 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

SingerWhoMoves, that's a cool name.  

#20 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

Wow. I never knew LaFosse had been with ABT. In fact, the only thing I knew of his work was when the cast of Fosse: The Musical, appeared on the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy  telethon.

There's a very nice write-up on his extensive career on his faculty page at Barnard College, where he teaches in the Dance Department: https://dance.barnar.../robert-lafosse

#21 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

I believe it was Stroman who suggested Tiler begin taking classes at SAB. :-)
Also, dont forget Stephen Hanna who dod Billy Elliot on Broadway, went back to NYCB and then back to Billy.
There are also a few former NYCB women who did Phantom on Broadway and on tour. Amanda Edge springs to mind first.

This is a little off the subject perhaps, but the late (great) actor, Eli Wallach was a student of Martha Graham's for quite awhile.  He even did her warm ups pre performance.

#22 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

Going back a ways there was the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo in Song of Norway with choreography by Balanchine.

Charles Ward of ABT was in Bob Fosse's Dancin'.

#23 NinaFan

NinaFan

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

When Robert LaFosse did Jerome Robbins' Broadway, was he still with ABT or had he already moved over to NYCB.   So sorry I never got to see that show.  It came out when I was just getting started in my career, so no funds available for cultural events. I wish they would revive it.

LaFosse had already been a principal at NYCB for several years before performing in Jerome Robbin's Broadway. 

#24 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

http://www.playbill....pcoming-Revival

I happened to see this item on the efforts of producers of On The Town to raise additional capital for the show from small "accredited" investors.  I don't regard this as a good sign.  When a musical or play seems like it will be a big hit, the regular roster of broadway investors line up in droves because they feel they can make a tidy profit.  .

#25 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

http://artsbeat.blog...nline/?ref=arts

Here is another article on the unorthodox fundraising method for On the Town. 

#26 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

I know two people who made small investments in a few Broadway musicals. They weren't theater people and (to the best of my knowledge) weren't plugged into a network of theatrical investors. I don't know if they made a decent return, or even if got all their money back, but they had a blast and felt very proprietary about "their" shows. It may be that the Kagans are trying tap into the kind of investors who want to have a little fun with their investment "mad money" and hadn't realized they could throw the dice on a Broadway show. 

#27 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

I know two people who made small investments in a few Broadway musicals. They weren't theater people and (to the best of my knowledge) weren't plugged into a network of theatrical investors. I don't know if they made a decent return, or even if got all their money back, but they had a blast and felt very proprietary about "their" shows. It may be that the Kagans are trying tap into the kind of investors who want to have a little fun with their investment "mad money" and hadn't realized they could throw the dice on a Broadway show. 

Back in the Day.   My third Broadway show was "A Time for Singing", a re-make of the film "How Green Was My Valley".  It starred the late, great Tessie O'Shea and Shani Wallis.   Donald McKayle did the incredible choreography.  He actually choreographed a pas de deux on me and my partner, Sterling Clark.   We in the cast were invited to "invest" in the show and many of us did, pooling our money and buying our "shares".  I don't know if this was a common practice.  Sadly, the show did not run and we lost our "investment", but oh, what a very special show that was!!  

#28 mira

mira

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Tapfan - not sure what you mean by "prep school vibe"?  care to give more context?   tia

#29 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Tapfan - not sure what you mean by "prep school vibe"?  care to give more context?   tia

NYC Ballet reminds me of that movie Pleasantville.  Everything there seems to be so insular and conformist.

#30 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

Tiler Peck appeared on Broadway in the "Music Man" when she was 11, so she's going home to Broadway. 

I saw her in the NY Phil production of Carousel.  She was great.  Louise is a mostly dance role but she does act and sing in the chorus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):