This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Cubanmiamiboy in Italy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Rome.  By All Means, Rome.  I will cherish my visit here, in memory, for as long as I live.  

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Yes, I meant the free visits to churches, although as Mashinka notes, some of them DID have a person in the entrance collecting a fee to tourists. On the other side, almost all of them had written instructions for parishioners or just for those who solely wanted to pray, in which case there's no fee.  Now, many churches have their best paintings in the sacristy-(as with Tintoretto's "Marriage at Cana" at Santa Maria della Salute)-for which you have to pay a separate fee, even if the church itself is free. Some other works were just there in plain view in hidden churches, almost invisible to tourists, like Bernini's"L'estasi di Santa Teresa" in Santa Maria della Vittoria, which I bumped into almost by chance...

#18 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Thank you for the clarification! 

It still sounds as if you had an amazing time, and I am happy for you and glad you took the time to tell us about it! 

-d-

#19 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hi Cuban,

For as long as I could remember, Italy has been my dream destination. I think everyone has a place or several places that resonate with them on a completely personal and intimate basis. Italy has been my special dream place.

This year, after much tight-fisted savings, we managed to finally go to Italy.

I'm thrilled to report that it actually lived up to my inflated expectations. Rome made me feel like I've always secretly wanted to see myself. Sophisticated and cosmopolitan, even though I am neither of those things.

Sipping Asperol Spritzes while seated at an outdoor table at a trattoria with my husband, while gazing upon Ponte Cavour each evening was like a dream come true.

But, it was Venice that made me feel like I had plucked myself out of one of my own daydreams and set me down in my heart's desire. I remember thinking to myself after getting off the train and boarding the water taxi up the Grand Canal, "This can't be happening! It's all some strange, wonderful dream!". Venezia truly made my heart sing and pump into a happy and contented rythmn. It's what I imagine being able to dance Balanchine choreography feels like. 

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, but your post compelled me to respond.  Thank you for sharing your trip.

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

I'm so glad that your trip lived up to your expectations, and that you shared a bit of it here!

#21 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

Welcome back, 

Hi Cuban,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, but your post compelled me to respond.  Thank you for sharing your trip.

Hi and welcome back, Perky! Isn't Venice just fabulous...?  Just like a fairy tale place... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):