This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Initiative Podcast featuring Balanchine dancer, Carol Sumner

32tendu

Check out the new Ballet Initiative Podcast here:

http://www.balletinitiative.com/podcast/2014/6/13/carol-sumner

Carol Sumner was a soloist with the New York City Ballet from 1958 to 1978. Under the direction of George Balanchine, she danced principal roles in Concerto Barocco, Divertimento No. 15, Agon, Western Symphony and The Nutcracker.

I've found the relationships between Mr. B and his dancers to be fascinating, and often complex. In this case, it's very sweet. Ms. Sumner was moved to tears when she recalled his final days and ultimate passing. I appreciate her candid nature.

If you'd like to see images of Ms. Sumner from this period, go here while you listen.

http://artsmeme.com/2012/01/25/what-makes-a-balanchine-ballerina-meet-carol-sumner/

Twitter: @balletinitiativ

Facebook: Ballet Initiative

Thank you - another great addition to the Ballet Initiative library of interviews.

It's worth noting that Balanchine earned royalties whenever his ballets were performed (as any choreographer should). And my understanding is that Balanchine lived mainly off this royalty money as well as his various Broadway/Hollywood fees. When the time came that Balanchine had to accept a salary as part of the NYCB creative directorship (I believe the Ford Foundation had insisted on this as part of their grant conditions), he apparently used the money to pay Barbara Horgan, rather than himself.

I just heard the pod cast with Vicky Simon. Great stuff. I remember years ago, when I was in classes taught by Vicky, she mentioned getting into NYCB. If I remember correctly she said that Mr. B came in to watch the advanced class at SAB. They were doing pique turns and a lot of girls started doing doubles and triples. Vicky stayed with singles, making them as beautiful as she could. She was the only one hired. Christian, if you speak to her again you might want to ask her about it.