Vaganova Academy Graduation Concerts 2014

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

At the Bolshoi that "can of worms" has been opened, I am afraid, earlier.

#32 elianam

elianam

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

It is hard to predict what will happen to Ksenia Zhiganshina at the Bolshoi. The whole landscape is currently changing there, eroding the unique power previously concentrated in the hands of Sergei Filin and a narrow circle around him.

At the Bolshoi Ksenia will be arriving already a "professional", not an "apprentice". From now on she must be directing all her energies towards refining her technique and artistic means of expression, work on her "physique" and, of course, not miss any opportunities she may be presented with in near future.

Agreed that the landscape is changing in the Bolshoi and that Zhiganshina has to work very hard to make best use of opportunities. But I am impressed that despite the change, they still manage to get in a Vaganova top-grad in directly as a soloist (for how many top-grads in Moscow who worked hard for a number of years are waiting for promotion). Also, judging from the opportunities Zhiganshina has been receiving at the MT in the past several years, Fateev's offer should also be very advantageous. Yet she finds something in the Bolshoi offer more promising. I don't know if her new rector at the Vaganova made her some recommendations or suggestions or not.

Regarding Smirnova, despite the initial miscasts, I have the impression that Filin was having the leads of Diamonds in mind when he made the hire. For at the time, there were not much Bolshoi dancers who fits that part better than Smirnova at school. (This is only a guess, but I cannot think of anyone better in that part at the Bolshoi except Zakharova, and perhaps Obraztsova, another Vaganova grad) Zhiganshina is not a pure Vaganova production, but I wonder if someone in the Bolshoi recognized something in her, other than fame and fancy, to be able to make the offer convincingly, given the change of landscape.

And again, I am curious about with whom she will be working with, and wish her best luck!

#33 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

To say that the Bolshoi offered her much better terms would be an understatement. The terms offered by Fateev were truly humiliating. Ksenia was provided with a number of great opportunities by Fateev earlier. When she was ready to graduate his interest in Ksenia, sadly, diminished.

The interest that the Vaganova Academy graduates evoke at Bolshoi has a simple explanation: their own graduates (by which I mean the graduates of the Moscow State Academy of Choreography) haven't been particularly impressive in recent years. Thus the desire to get the best from elsewhere. I expect this trend to continue in the future. One cannot even blame them for "stealing" the best from the Vaganova's Academy. The one to blame is the reckless acting director of Mariinsky Ballet.

The next year promises to be very interesting, with Nika Ckhvitaria, Svetlana Strebko, Renata Shakirova, and above all Anastasia Lukina, all graduating. I just hope that the girls will be able to control their physical development better than this year graduates. If Fateev doesn't reverse his policy of active lack of interest in giving opportunities for growth to the best Vaganova graduates, I am afraid these girls should be looking elsewhere or are doomed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):