This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cinderella

I especially got a kick out of Tom Forster - he has a very sweet face in real life and actually was a pretty good looking "ugly" step-sister! In fact I'd like to see him in the role of the prince.

I agree! I grabbed a ticket for the Saturday 6/14 Cinderella matinée to see Joseph Gorak, whose Prince was delightful in all of the ways that I expected it to be: no disappointment there. But the performance I really carried away with me from the theater was Thomas Forster's bossy -- and utterly endearing -- Stepsister. Thank goodness Cinderella forgave her at the end -- I would have been heartbroken if she hadn't! wink1.gif Forster's comedy was broad, but done without a trace of camp, and all the better for it.

I don't know if could or should be cast as the Prince, but I'd love to see more of him.

I thought Forster/Easton were a much funnier pairing than Zhurbin/Salstein. Zhurbin/Salstein seemed to just play the sisters as campy men in drag. Forster/Easton were much zanier, sillier, and more endearing. Easton in particular really made something sweet and touching out of the "timid" stepsister.

I saw Gillian dance the part of Lise in La Fille Male Gardee in 2003 (with Ethan Stiefel). They were

both wonderful. In fact the whole production was exquisite. I don't know why ABT has not revived it

since then. I saw Xiomara Reyes as Lise (with Corella) in 2002 and she was just perfect. Both times I

saw Cornejo as Alain. I think he would be even better as Colas. I would be so happy if ABT would

revive La Fille hopefully next year.

I would be thrilled if they do revive it.Herman(w/ S Lane) would be perfect as Colas but i wonder if Marcelo would be too mature/tall to play Colas.

I saw Gillian dance the part of Lise in La Fille Male Gardee in 2003 (with Ethan Stiefel). They were

both wonderful. In fact the whole production was exquisite. I don't know why ABT has not revived it

since then. I saw Xiomara Reyes as Lise (with Corella) in 2002 and she was just perfect. Both times I

saw Cornejo as Alain. I think he would be even better as Colas. I would be so happy if ABT would

revive La Fille hopefully next year.

I would be thrilled if they do revive it.Herman(w/ S Lane) would be perfect as Colas but i wonder if Marcelo would be too mature/tall to play Colas.

I think ABT borrowed the production from National Ballet of Canada, and for the last few years the NBOC Fille costumes had been in a dire state of repair. The costumes were mostly rebuilt for the NBOC's last outing with Fille a couple of years ago and doubtless they are ready to be rented out again.

I also attended the June 14th matinee performance of Cinderella.

Frederick Ashton’s ‘Cinderella’ is a delightful ballet for both the young and the young at heart. Ashton’s choreography set to music by Sergei Prokofiev, bring the fairytale characters to life. The movements for the fairies of the four seasons are intricate and demanding. The twelve stars create magnificent geometric patterns when they dance. One of the most thrilling moments in this ballet is when Cinderella descends the stairs of the ballroom on pointe. She looks like she is floating. The pas de deux Ashton has created for Cinderella and the Prince are wonderfully romantic. The audience, as well as the young couple, are caught up in the glorious love story. David Walker’s costumes and scenery are gorgeous, especially in the Act II and III ballroom scenes.

All the young dancers perform the complicated Ashton choreography beautifully. Some, however, stand out. Xiomara Reyes as Cinderella displays her exquisite musicality. Her turns a la ménage are wonderfully done. Reyes has a very expressive face which clearly shows Cinderella’s hopes and fears.

Young corps member, Joseph Gorak, is a perfect Prince, reminiscent of a young David Hallberg.

He is an attentive partner who performs great turns and light leaps with the softest of landings. Reyes and Gorak have lovely chemistry and are a very sweet fairytale couple.

The ugly stepsisters are one of Frederick Ashton’s most memorable creations. In the tradition of British pantomime they are danced by men. For years Ashton himself, along with Robert Helpmann, performed the parts to great acclaim. Thomas Forster and Kenneth Easter are both funny and believable in the roles. Forster and Easter are not just men in dresses hamming it up. They are actors portraying real characters. Forster is the domineering sister (the Helpmann role) while Easter is the bashful but flirtatious younger one (played by Ashton). They stay in character even during the bows. Easter is given a huge bouquet of flowers while Forster gets a much smaller bouquet. Forster immediately grabs the larger bunch of flowers from Easter and gives him the tiny bouquet.

Corps member Devon Teuscher is a perfect Fairy Godmother, performing with smooth, honeyed movements. The fairies of the four seasons and the twelve stars all dance their roles wonderfully. Arron Scott is an exciting and funny Jester. His leaps and turns are absolutely amazing. I especially like it when he talks to the little jester doll he’s holding. Usually what he seems to be saying is “Let’s scare the silly younger stepsister.”

I hope ABT keeps this lovely ‘Cinderella’ in their repertoire for many years to come. I also hope they promote Joseph Gorak and Devon Teuscher to soloists soon. These are two extraordinary dancers who deserve a chance to show what they can accomplish.

I attended Friday's evening, Saturday's matinee and evening. I enjoyed all performances! I have seen the Royal's performance danced by Cojocaru and Kobborg. I do love the choreography.

Most impressive Cinderella was Xorama Rayes, and most impressive prince was Marcelo Gomes.

Julie was weak at one pointe-standing. She struggled some points even supported by Gomes. However, she could do many turns helped by her prince, and had fragile beauty as Cinderella. Her port de bras was fluid and expressive.

Rayes's dancing was so strong, charming and really commanding.

Above all, incredibly high speed chaines was breathtaking. She stole the show.

Murphy had good technique as well as Rayes though Rayes was more cheerfully and showed more explosion of energy. (Today I saw Murphy's Myrtha, she seemed to be not top of her game... got tired?)

Marcelo's dancing was completely flawless. His acting was so noble, warm and sometimes comical( ex. taking glass shoe back from stepsister). Highest and most secure lifts among them, and only he did perfect vertical lift at Act 3. Jumps and landing positions were exact and noiseless.

Gorak had noble atmosphere and secure technique. Though his acting was on development comparing with other two princes, he seems promising as a classical prince. I loved his dancing.

Hallberg danced princely. Well matured in dancing and acting, especially his turns were superb. But no warm feelings to Cinderella. He showed chreepy feelings about her.