5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

A review of the Royal Ballet by Luke Jennings in The Observer.

I wanted to like Alastair Marriott's new ballet Connectome, and for the first few minutes I thought I was going to. The curtain rises on a forest of Perspex rods shadowed to give the appearance of genome sequence data, and in between these we glimpse Natalia Osipova darting around in skimpy white. Any opportunity to see Osipova at work is fascinating, but despite its neuroscientific design trappings and pages of programme notes concerning brain-wiring and emotional mapping, Connectome shakes down to an all-too-predictable series of tropes.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

"Le Corsaire" is performed in Buenos Aires.

It’s certainly a display piece for traditionally oriented dancers, and the cast I saw did a very good job. I do find some of the choreography rather arch but there’s still much to enjoy. Due to a lesion of Juan Pablo Ledo, Federico Fernández had to tackle Conrad in all six performances; I saw the third and I found him in fine form. Lithe, tall and blond, Fernández is nowadays one of our best dancers; but there’s a deficit of personality in his corsair, which needs the temperament of a Nureyev for it is a role larger than life.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

A review of Hubbard Street Dance Chicago by Hedy Weiss in The Chicago Sun-Times.

For all performances but Friday’s simulcast, the work at the center of the program was “Quintett,” by William Forsythe, that maestro of the post-modern who created it in 1993 for Ballett Frankfurt. The dancing, by Jacqueline Burnett, Lopez, Schulz, Fredrickson and Shannon, was nothing less than bravura, with a continual shift among solos, duets and trios. But I still find the score, Gavin Bryar’s “Jesus’ Blood Never Failed Me Yet” — a destitute man’s chant that has been tape-looped 58 times — akin to slow torture.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

A visit to the Edward Gorey House by Rob Duca for The Boston Globe.

Although his work was unpredictable, Gorey himself was a creature of habit. He ordered the same breakfast and lunch virtually every day at nearby Jack’s Outback Restaurant (as a framed month of receipts proves), and he attended every performance of the New York City Ballet for 27 seasons, saving each ticket stub. Although eccentric, he was not the recluse that many people believe.

“Nothing could be farther from the truth,” Jones says. “When he was in New York, he went out almost every night, whether it was the ballet, the theater, or a movie. But he tended to compartmentalize his friends. There were his theater friends and literature friends and Cape Cod friends. The local people didn’t know the literary ones, the literary ones didn’t know the theater ones.”

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

An interview with Daria Klimentová.

"Classical ballet is already getting smaller and smaller. I hope that it is not going to disappear. But what I see around me is a lot of choreographers who are destroying the classics. I wish that instead of doing Sleeping Beauty in some crazy new way, they would just go and invent their own full-length ballet story."

Klimentová exempts Matthew Bourne's acclaimed and innovative company from her criticism. It has set out to challenge the classics. It is the national ballet companies that annoy her when they attempt to copy Bourne's tricks.....

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,215 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

Jackson's Thalia Mara Hall gets a makeover in time for the International Ballet Competition.

The USA IBC is an “Olympics-style” contest and festival of classical and contemporary dance held every four years that puts Jackson in a global spotlight. Respected worldwide in dance circles, the IBC will see 92 dancers from 20 countries vying for medals, cash prizes, scholarships and company contracts on the Jackson stage.

The 2010 event had a $10.2 million economic impact on Mississippi and drew an attendance of 34,235 that represented 43 states, Puerto Rico and 10 foreign countries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):