63 replies to this topic

#61 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

here is the NYPL dance cat. listing for the Petit work.

it's been shown in new york, a while ago and excerpts have been sometimes performed.

Intermittences du coeur: Chor: Roland Petit; mus: Act I: Hahn (L'Heure exquise), Franck (Sonata for vln & pf, 1st mvt), Fauré (excerpts from Ballade), Saint-Saëns (Harp concerto, 1st mvt), Debussy (La mer, Syrinx), Franck (Psyché excerpt), Saint-Saëns (Symphony no. 3, excerpts); Act II: Beethoven (Quartet, op. 131, "Presto"), Saint-Saëns (Havanaise, Marche héroïque), Debussy (Danse infernale), Fauré (Elégie), Wagner (Overture to Rienzi); lib: After Marcel Proust's Remembrances of things past. First perf: Monaco Festival of the Arts, Aug 24, 1974; Ballets de Marseille.//First perf. in Paris: Théâtre des Champs-Elysées, Nov 14, 1974; Ballets de Marseille.//U.S. premiere: New York, Uris Theater, Sept 12, 1980; Ballets de Marseille; scen: René Allio; cos: Christine Laurent.

#62 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

I have seen the Petit--I remember finding it not uninteresting, but little else about it. I would not be keen on seeing ABT revive it.

Faux Pas: Perhaps Cojocaru or Osipova could be interesting in "The Invitation" if it is, indeed, revivable. (Not clear Osipova has any future with ABT these days and in some ways it might even be more appropriate for the Royal to revive it.)

#63 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

There is a DVD available for Petit's Proust, Intermittence Le Coeur, performed by Paris Opera Ballet. It is a beautiful work and I
like this work very much, but a very French work and I doubt ABT's audience will like it. There is some nudity in this work. The male duet is frequently performed at galas, and Marcelo Gomes, David Hallberg has performed that part in galas.

MacMillan's Invitation is a powerful piece (I also have seen it in full) but this ballet has a violent rape scene of an adolescent girl and I doubt it will be acceptable for the ABT audience too.

#64 Vicx

Vicx

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Diana Vishneva with Marcelo Gomes. Magnificent, soul-stirring connection.  He mastered several sequences of long, slow turns, every inch of legs and body in elegantly held tension. At the "party", her heart-crushing coldness as she repeatedly looked directly at and through him, then blankly turned  away. She really is a whore, I thought. Interesting suggestion of rape by the jailer while he knelt and dragged her leg underneath one thigh to just momentarily make that horrible connection.  In the swamp, their final series of three death-defying lifts -- Marcelo tossing her into frightenly high, complicated turns -- that peaked with her death midair. What a face!  What a death!  Wow. I've never seen such a dangerously athletic, trusting partnership in dance. I flew out from San Francisco just to see this performance.  I bow to you, Vaganova Ballet Academy, for the privilege of seeing your dancers:  Nureyev, Makarova, and Vishneva. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):