This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ladies' SP results

dirac

This isn't turning out to be a great world champs. Everyone fell apart from Irina, Yoshie Onda and Fumie Sugari. So much for home-pressure! They were fantastic and very, very different. I think it'll be great if one of them can snag another gold for Japan! And Irina was so determined and lovely and really deserved those 6.0s.

And I've just been watching Victoria Volchkova on a relive and I feel so sad that she isn't fulfilling her potential. She is THE best jumper out there and she can be so graceful with her long limbs but she has a confidence problem and a useless choreographer.

[ March 22, 2002, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: sylvia ]

Normally I'd agree with you, alexandra, but in this particular instance I do think the use of the designation "ladies" has a significance that goes beyond political fashions in nomenclature. I recall reading at the time of the Nancy/Tonya imbroglio a judge being quoted as saying something to the effect of, "Nancy's a lady, we can all see that." (And men have been "men" in sport since the long gone days of Gentlemen v. Players.)

Anyway. It's too bad about Volchkova. I didn't see her this time around, but it really is unfortunate to see someone with her potential go to waste. Her "Gone with the Wind" program was really odd to watch -- it wasn't just that the choreography was uninspired, but there was no attempt to fit it to the music technically or thematically (I'm not saying she should have worn a hoop skirt or Miss Ellen's portieres. smile.gif )

I am sorry I missed "Gone with the Wind."

dirac, I didn't mean that I preferred "ladies" or was predicting its return. Substitute "broads" or whatever smile.gif I meant that the term was so far behind the times that it wouldn't change until the change itself was far behind the times.