50 replies to this topic

#46 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Here's more:

The choreography does remind me a little bit of the folk/modern choreography that might have been presented in an "artistic" evening in the USSR. In those evenings I think artists were expected to drop the Don Quixotes and could choose a mixed bill of "modern" choreography.

#47 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

I don't know of any "modern" dance in the Soviet Union that required a new movement vocabulary.  Were there such dance movements which ballet dancers would leverage, and, if so, what are they now?

#48 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

There has been variations of modern dance taught and performed in Russia for a number of years (remember Isadora Duncan spent time teaching there) but I think the modern/folk dance referred to here is more along the lines of the theatricalized folk work of the Moiseyev and other groups.

#49 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

Moiseyev is worlds above the choreography set forth in the above video clips. 

#50 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

I thought the Soviets eventually expunged most of what we'd consider modern dance as decadent along the way.  I didn't realize there were still remnants.  I wonder that Russia looks so much to the West when it adds rep, rather than leveraging what was there..

#51 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,444 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

It's not so much that it was expunged as it was co-opted -- most of what I've heard described as "modern dance" has been produced in fairly conventional settings. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):