This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Solo For Two w. Osipova and Vasiliev

This just turned up with Google Alerts: an explanation for why Carmen and the San Jose Ballet were cancelled from the Osipova/Vasiliev engagement. If this is to be believed, despite severe financial problems and unexpected staff turn-over, the real reason was a disagreement about the order of the program.

Last week, Parry offered an explanation for the grand tour’s cancellation. “There was a falling-out over where Carmen was going to appear on the program,” Parry said last Thursday, explaining that the presenter insisted that it should close the show, which didn’t work for the artists. Parry added that there is no quarrel between BSJ and Ardani. “We’re hoping it might happen next summer.”

https://www.sfcv.org/article/why-ballet-san-jose-stayed-home

BTW -- It's interesting that Ballet San Jose, Pennsylvania Ballet, and Colorado Ballet (and others, I'm sure) all have the same number of dancers on contract (30).

If a ticket is for a specific venue on a specific date for a specific time (and often, a specific seat), and the producer can change the program and/or casting, I don't know how it could be legal if the producer fails to produce a show on that date and does not offer a refund, even if there is a reschedule on another date. I would request a chargeback from my credit card company, if a venue refused to refund under those circumstances. I've never had that happen.

From Ticketmaster's website (http://www.ticketmaster.com/h/returns.html?tm_link=tm_i_rp):

Refunds for Rescheduled Events

We'll contact you with the new date and time ASAP. Can't make it? Refunds are up to the artist, team, venue, or promoter - but we'll do everything we can to help.

which implies that you are not necessarily legally entitled to a refund if a show is rescheduled.

Don't see how any organization could legally deny a refund for an event when the date of the event is changed. The date is a fundamental term of the contract between the vendor and the purchaser, and once that is changed the contract is voidable.

It totally depends on the language in the ticket agreement -- some of them have quite elaborate "If (this changes) then (that changes)" situations laid out in detail. The ticket seller can make some pretty complicated requirements, with the ultimate response to complaints being "you don't have to buy the ticket."

Just to be clear, I did not contact SCFTA about a refund; however, the date change was not something they even made the slightest announcement about to the subscribers suggesting they felt no qualms about changing the date once subscribers paid for tickets (but before they received the tickets).

As another anecdote, SCFTA completely cancelled a program from this season's subscription packet and subscribers were informed about it when tickets were finally mailed. The letter read that the ticket amount "will be held on account." When I contacted them, a bit pissed, about what that actually meant they said they could refund it but they just "didn't know what each subscriber would want to do with the money." Um, get it back? Without having to take time out of my day to contact you to get it back? They won't refund my credit card, so I am now waiting 4-8 weeks for a check in the mail. I am less than impressed.

Just to be clear, I did not contact SCFTA about a refund; however, the date change was not something they even made the slightest announcement about to the subscribers suggesting they felt no qualms about changing the date once subscribers paid for tickets (but before they received the tickets).

As another anecdote, SCFTA completely cancelled a program from this season's subscription packet and subscribers were informed about it when tickets were finally mailed. The letter read that the ticket amount "will be held on account." When I contacted them, a bit pissed, about what that actually meant they said they could refund it but they just "didn't know what each subscriber would want to do with the money." Um, get it back? Without having to take time out of my day to contact you to get it back? They won't refund my credit card, so I am now waiting 4-8 weeks for a check in the mail. I am less than impressed.

I think that's kind of appalling...I've been treated better by the Met and the Koch theaters when I was on less firm ground...

Since I don't know the particulars, it's hard to make a firm comment, but I'm really disconcerted by this description -- I'd have to know what the actual language of the ticket agreement includes, but I'm very surprised that they didn't, at the very least, include more information in the general mailing about refund options. Unless that's part of the micro-type in the agreement, it doesn't sound like standard practice.

I got a full refund for the cancelled ballet. Called SCFTA and was told I could hold the money in my account or have a full refund. When I asked for the refund I was given options on how the money could be refunded, and I had no trouble having it crdited to my credit card account.

Called again yesterday; they said that they only can refund by credit card for "special circumstances" and it requires individual approval from a manager (luck you, Giannina!). Then she said, "well I'd have to get your cc info all over again! We don't keep that on file!" Oh the horror. Still refused a credit card refund. Check still not processed or sent out yet. After they fumbled around for a few hours trying to get an eta on the check, I received a call back estimating it in another two weeks.

In contrast, I bought some tickets for National Theater Live broadcasts at the Irvine Barclay and missed the (very small) byline that said if you bought three for the series you were eligible for a discount and reduced fees if you clicked through the special link. I called them up and asked if it was possible to retroactively receive the discount; they volunteered to cancel the order and redo it. Their machines were down and could not process a refund through my credit card at that time and so they sent a check refund that I received by the end of the week, for a mistake that I made. I offered this example to the SCFTA staff as a contrast and her only response was that they are a non-profit so it's very complicated. The Irvine Barclay is a non-profit that operates under the UCI campus, a public institution.