This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Solo For Two w. Osipova and Vasiliev

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

This Ardani production is coming to NY City Center March 7-8, 2015.  Tickets are on sale already. 

Program is

1.  Excertps from Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui’s Mea Culpa,

2.  Passo by Ohad Naharin

3.  Facda by Arthur Pita

Is this the same program they are bringing to California in July?

#2 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

This announcement in Broadway World was just posted by Google Alert. The Segerstrom program in July appears to be the same program just announced for City Center. What's puzzling is that there had been an announcement a month or two ago that the San Jose Ballet would be performing with them in Carmen. I haven't seen any reports about why that fell through, but this is quite a change!  

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/Natalia-Osipova-Ivan-Vasiliev-to-Return-to-Segerstrom-Center-725-27-20140529#.U4ehFPFOXIU 

Edited by California, 29 May 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#3 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

Here's the May 5 story about San Jose Ballet performing with them (I thought it would be pulled down by now and perhaps it will be soon): 

http://www.broadwayw...25-89-20140505#

#4 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Rather sad that SJB has been dropped. Does this mean that SJB will not be performing in London and Moscow with Osipova and Vasiliev?

#5 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

This was awful (just back from today's matinee). If you are determined to see it in NY or London just to see Osipova/Vasiliev, I wouldn't pay more than $15-20 for a ticket (and that is pushing it immensely). I didn't think Ardani productions could get worse than Reflections, but this really takes the cake.

Just for the record, there were about 45-50 minutes of dance in total. No piece was immune to the muted-colored underwear-as-costume trend. Having "agreed" to this as a subscriber when the program originally included the Kingdom of the Shades, I would really like some of my money back from Segerstrom.

#6 GianninaM

GianninaM

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'm with ksk04.  Just got back from the Sat. night performance and I'm thunderstruck.  We don't get a chance to see these dancers, also Veshneva when she came a while back, so we go to these performance looking forward to seeing their classical abilities and we get this instead.

#7 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

The umbrella of contemporary dance is really abused by Ardani in presenting these shows. I have seen modern dance and modern ballet, and contemporary dance and contemporary ballet, that I like. This is not that.

Just a bit more in brief:

"Mercy" joins the hundreds of revolutionary works to explore domestic violence through dance. The piece begins with Vasiliev beating Osipova in silence. The music then comes in (which featured live singers, a small blessing) and is operatic in nature and then shifts to Indian Classical music with a local male vocalist. There is a "pas de deux" of the beating, a "solo" for Vasiliev, and then another "pas de deux" with their relationship mended. My boyfriend commented that most of it looked like yoga. I agree.

"Passeo" begins with noise and a lot of posing and preening. Then English traditional music kicks in (Greensleeves, I kid you not). There is a lot of really silly choreography including a sequence where Vasiliev and Osipova crouch down, walk like ducks with their hands folded up their chests like birds (imagine it over the chorus to Greensleeves), and then right themselves and beat their chests. There was a lot of flummoxed laughter around me.

Both of these are a maximum of 10 minutes or so, I believe. Empty stages. Dark lighting.

"Facada" is the only coherent piece. It's explained as being a possible back story to Myrtha from Giselle. There is live music as well in the form of a Portuguese-flavored guitarist (who plays a viola or violin at one point and a drum) who also plays during the preceding intermission. There is also a set (wow!) in the loose form with some potted plants and watering components. Osipova and The Lady in Black (played by Gay Storm) prep for the wedding (Osipova has a little real dancing for about 40 seconds); as Osipova stands with Vasiliev to say the vows, he looks nervous and screams and literally runs out of the auditorium via a side door. Osipova, comforted by Storm, cries buckets of tears (for about 5 minutes, not overestimating this) which are then used to water the plants. All the buckets are hung off of her arms and she walks around the stage despondently in heels multiple times. End scene. Vasiliev enters and does a solo (actual dancing again) and removes his tux so that he is down to his underwear. He struggles with a bow tie and gets a knife to cut if off. Osipova walks on and tells us "Faca in Portuguese means knife." Then she comes back on and puts a new bow tie on him (I guess the Chippendale's look is in?). She has a dream sequence where they are on their honeymoon. She then burns her bridal dress and gets down to her underwear as well (what a surprise). She then squishes or squeezes him to death??? The mode of death is not clear. She and Storm then put a table over Vasiliev's body and Osipova does a dance on top of the table and then walks away. I mean the fact I can even actually write about a plot is a considerable step up from the rest of the show, I do agree. If this were on a different bill, it might be more palatable but it's still not ready for prime time or the ticket prices they are charging for this type of event.

#8 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Thank you for these detailed reports. I thought of Jeff Koons while reading them: is Ardani having the last laugh at the fools who pay good money for this stuff?

Is this the program they have planned for City Center this fall? The managers at CC must be very worried at this point.

They could have done Le Jeune Homme et la Mort (which Vasiliev has been doing elsewhere), surely a role she could learn, if she doesn't already know it. The Carmen they previously announced with Ballet San Jose would have been interesting, too.

#9 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I also saw this performance yesterday and posted this brief comment elsewhere.

In its favor, at times, this performance did show Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev to be extremely fine dramatic talents as well as highly adaptable and remarkably accomplished dance artists.

#10 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

They could have done Le Jeune Homme et la Mort (which Vasiliev has been doing elsewhere), surely a role she could learn, if she doesn't already know it. The Carmen they previously announced with Ballet San Jose would have been interesting, too.

This program is produced by Ardani.  It's a  money making venture for all involved.  Hiring San Jose Ballet would have cut into the bottom line and watered down the profits for Danilian, Osipova and Vasiliev.  I do hope they do Jeune Homme, since it doesn't require any additional performers.   

#11 Andre Yew

Andre Yew

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Passeo sounds like Naharin doing his usual remixing of past works. In this case, it sounds similar to a piece called Passomezzo that Hubbard Street carries.

Here's a video of it:

#12 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

This program is produced by Ardani.  It's a  money making venture for all involved.  Hiring San Jose Ballet would have cut into the bottom line and watered down the profits for Danilian, Osipova and Vasiliev.  I do hope they do Jeune Homme, since it doesn't require any additional performers.

Ah, but they would have to pay for the rights to perform Le Jeune Homme! Have they announced the NYC program? Glad I'm not planning to attend that one!

Did they have a full orchestra for the pieces they did do? If not, that would also explain skipping Le Jeune Homme.

#13 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Yes, to what Andre posted. See 2:09 for duck walk except Osipova and Vasiliev bounced more and held their hands at nipple height producing a much sillier effect.

Not a full orchestra, no. However, Ardani has never balked from large swaths of recorded music.

#14 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reports, I was on the fence, now I'll save my pennies for the upcoming Mariinsky NY season. However, the LA Times has a more generous review: http://www.latimes.c...0726-story.html

So the whole show finished in 75 minutes including intermission? How's the reaction from the audience?

#15 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

. . . the upcoming Mariinsky NY season. . .

When and where is this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):