This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Laurent Hilaire to leave the POB

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

Mr Millipied has already criticised the  long established style of the dancers, wanting to make them more . like ABT. Quite what he means by this I do not know.  Virtuosity  is their style, not the well schooled and quality of the POB.  When you look at ABT they are a very mixed bunch of people from different countries and techniques.

In his New Yorker profile he said he wanted to make the company more diverse and less white. While a laudable goal, I wonder how is he going to do that? He can't just hire whom he wants because prospective dancers come in through the Concours, and he sits on the jury with other people. Or does he expect to either 1) change the recruitment process or 2) control the jury? Encouraging more minorities to attend the Ecole won't affect the company for several years -- at best.

#17 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

By leaving, Hilaire and Legris position themselves well to return to the top job at POB should Millepied for whatever reason leave.  It's a good strategic move for them either way.  It's good politics.  

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

Mr Millipied has already criticised the  long established style of the dancers, wanting to make them more . like ABT. Quite what he means by this I do not know.  Virtuosity  is their style, not the well schooled and quality of the POB.  When you look at ABT they are a very mixed bunch of people from different countries and techniques.

In his New Yorker profile he said he wanted to make the company more diverse and less white. While a laudable goal, I wonder how is he going to do that? He can't just hire whom he wants because prospective dancers come in through the Concours, and he sits on the jury with other people. Or does he expect to either 1) change the recruitment process or 2) control the jury? Encouraging more minorities to attend the Ecole won't affect the company for several years -- at best.

Well, guest artists are a way to start, while you're waiting for the school process to cycle through.

I think, though, that this is related to the current BA discussion about the lack of Asian and Asian American performers in some US companies.

#19 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

After Aurelia's  out spoken remarks I think she will definately be an under standing coach, in a clip from the  filming of a fashion  video she is seen with her progeny as their Petite Mammon talking to four girls    There does not seem to be any harsh words only kindness. In the documentary that Cedric Klaplish made about Aurelie. her relationship with Clotilde Vayer seemed very close, which will be very good for her, as she will be taking over from Laurent Hillarie who is leaving.  The fact that Aurelie has children of her own, must  mean she is used to dealing with young people. Her husband Jeremie Belingard is known as a comedian and is considerate and pleasant so it would seem she enjoys a life full of happiness and laughter, so surely this will follow into her new career. You can see Aurelie collapse on the floor with exhaustion as people in the back ground laugh  in Nicholas Le Riche's documentary and the other by Klaplish letting us see her sense of humour.

#20 Balletgoal

Balletgoal

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Very sad for the French Ballet world!

#21 tomorrow

tomorrow

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

With regards to Millepied's commenrs about the lack of diversity, which caused outrage in France, I was under the impression the company only started recruiting externally (that is, not from the POB School or the Paris Conservatoire) in the early 2000s. Changes to labour laws meant institutions and companies couldn't solely rely on their feeder schools anymore, something like that.

The POB School (which gave some of its students from minorities publicity soon after Millepied's comments!), like both the internal and external concours, relies on body measurements. It is, according to an interview with Mathilde Froustey, only free if you join at a young age. That's not going to produce a wide demographic, and certainly not when only the top ranking applicants gain a place.

Millepied is not a diplomat and far from a smoother talker anyway. He didn't credit the dancers to Elisabeth Platel but Claude Bessy, despite the latter retiring ten years ago, and it is obvious he took the job because he wants the extensive resources. In a recent interview he said he arrived convinced he was going to have to hire dancers externally to bring the company upto scratch, but was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case. I mean, seriously? Can you imagine City Ballet hiring a director who doesn't even know the company? Just more insult to Hilaire and Legris.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hilaire moved into theatre. A fine, fine dancer-actor, he hinted that is an area he wants to try when he retired. Sylvie Guillem also wants to try theatre, so perhaps we will see this legendary partnership reunite. Excited for Mr. Hilaire but still sad. The life of POB fans eh? ;-)

#22 tomorrow

tomorrow

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

Can we please boycott the POB, Benjamin Millepied's ballets and the company's dancers when they're guesting?

This is a very strange turn of events. According to this, Laurent Hilaire was invited to resign by the incoming general director in exchange for a bonus of 200k: http://www.mediapart...d94459898d04a13. A review of the Paris Opera's spending has been ordered. (Is this OK to post? Just checking.)

For me, Aurelie Dupont and Clotilde Vayer just went from respectable individuals to avoidable. Sickening. Why is Laurent Hilaire being judged by the actions of Brigitte Lefevre? Why are the company's dancers silent and supportive of Benjamin Millepied's arrival? Why, when the ballet world was quick to damn the mess at the Vaganova, are people still quiet? I cannot comprehend this at all.

Edit to add: I don't understand French labour laws, so I don't know if it's possible to offer a payout when there's no basis to fire somebody, or if you have to have a reason. Can anyone confirm? I can't see how Laurent Hilaire is unreliable so unless he is guilty of misconduct, I assume the former...

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

I don't know why managers would not be able to choose their own assistants, who are part of management.  French law may differ, but it is Lissner, Millepied's boss, who, according to the Google translation of the linked article, is cleaning house throughout the Paris Opera organization, not Millepied.

#24 tomorrow

tomorrow

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:59 AM

I don't know why managers would not be able to choose their own assistants, who are part of management.  French law may differ..

Hm OK, I'll take that view instead. In the UK I don't think this is a particularly common occurance although I may be wrong. I guess Mr. Hilaire could have refused, and 200k is an awful lot (although still tiny compared to the small salary of those above him).

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:10 AM

Top management salaries and perks compared to the rest was certainly one of the main points of that article. If Heymann makes 6,000 Euros a month, I hope rents are cheaper in Paris, because corps members at top companies with seniority can make 5,000-6,000 USD a month, and for those living in NYC without a mortgage interest deduction, the taxes paid to city, state, and federal governments are similar to total tax rates in Europe.

#26 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

In a French state financed institution like POB is, €6000 is not considered a low salary, especially since it is a minimum salary which can be topped by extras (although the case of Heymann is a bit miss chosen as he has danced very little since he’s Etoile due to injury so he probably doesn’t get much extras inside the company). What is more debatable is the salary of Brigitte Lefevre but I guess that is the old cruel story of the world of labor,  the boss and the worker…

#27 sparklingtonic

sparklingtonic

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I am very new to learning about the POB - what I know of the dancers I love and I certainly admire the loyal and involved POB audience.   In the short time I have looked at the POB I have truly fallen in love with the on-stage character of Laurent Hilaire.  He was a very giving dancer - always in the performances I saw he gave a performance of high technical quality but also he gave of himself to the audience, he gave of his personality .. his stage character.  After watching closely the documentaries mentioned and the Great Ballets of Rudolf Nureyev that featured Hilaire he seemed funny, interested, interesting and in the La Bayadere caring (I noticed for instance that he has trouble talking about Nureyev without swallowing and this long after Nureyev's death).  It makes me very sad that the Paris company seems to have thrown him away like an old shoe.  However, the separation packet he received (if that is true) should help grease his path and I hope they have not said 'and never darken our door again!' (Isn't his daughter Juliette in the corp??) -- he is known far and wide and should he choose I do not think he will have trouble finding another situation that should please him.  I thought I understood that he was close to his family and perhaps a new job outside France might be difficult - still he is a luminary in the ballet world.  It is difficult to explain but even while watching the videos his warmth and character seem to permeate the screen.  I do not believe that he will abandon his love (dance) nor that it will forget him.  I certainly will not.  In fact in anyone is interested I have some bits of Hilaire  on my YT channel should you want to see them, the channel is Judith Booth --

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):