This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Saturday, May 24

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:29 AM

A review of Boston Ballet in "Jewels" by Iris Fanger in the Patriot-Ledger.

“Rubies,” perhaps the audience favorite for its bouncy rhythms and playful attitude, was led by Dusty Button as the sexy vision of a Hollywood goddess. At one point, she stood on one toe as she was turned and stretched by four adoring men. The pairing of Misa Kuranaga and Jeffrey Cirio followed in an adorable and flirty but assured pas de deux. Cirio is simply on target as a Balanchine dancer, hitting every note with crisp delivery to match it, complemented by a mischievous air as if to insist, “Watch me.” Kuranaga is every bit his match in teasing and style.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

An interview with Myles Thatcher by Mary Ellen Hunt in The San Francisco Chronicle.

At 19, Thatcher set his first ballet, "Timepiece," on students from the Royal Ballet School, the Hamburg Ballet School and the National Ballet School of Cuba, an experience he describes as both fun and terrifying.

"It was the first time anything I had choreographed was shown in front of an audience," he says laughing. "I didn't even speak all the languages they did, but even at that age, communicating with the dancers and seeing what I could get out from everybody was fascinating to me."

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:36 AM

A review of Alonzo King Lines Ballet by Allan Ulrich in The San Francisco Chronicle.

The evening opens with excerpts from three vintage King dances. A good idea: There's lots of salvageable material in those works, and King's ballets rarely depend on linear continuity for their success. In a bit from the 1996 "Klang," Beresford, Harvey and the dancer who calls himself Babatunji deliver a widely spaced unison; Wilkes leads a women's parade on pointe. A more turbulent male ensemble and a gorgeous Pharoah Sanders score represent the 2008 "Radius of Convergence."

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

A review of Houston Ballet by Theodore Bale for CultureMap Houston.

Karina Gonzalez and Simon Ball gave an articulate interpretation of the somewhat hedonist “Sanguinic” pas de deux, flashy without vulgarity, really edge-of-your-seat thrilling. And if there was ever a corps de ballet member desperately in need of a promotion, it is William Newton, who nearly stole the show with his deeply committed “Phlegmatic” variation. This is always where I feel the ballet accumulates a certain power, and the section needs the right messenger. Newton’s series of side extensions, in particular, were a kind of miracle: elastic, perfectly aligned, and each as beautiful as the one preceding it.   

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

The memory of Frederic Franklin will be honored this week.

From the Horse’s Mouth, a group that brings dance people together, is presenting three evenings dedicated to Franklin, featuring reminiscences, films and videos. 

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

A review of American Ballet Theatre by Deborah Jowitt in her blog, "DanceBeat."

The choreography, like the music, diverges from conventional harmonies—exploring jaggedness, sharpness, off-balance steps, and, at times, a certain sportiness. At the performance I attended, the music was admirably played by pianist Emily Wong and violinist Benjamin Bowman, and the dancers were Paloma Herrera and James Whiteside. Watching them, I wondered whether ABT dancers have been advised that to perform Balanchine ballets, they have to remain neutral and simply execute the movement as musically as possibly. Certainly Herrera and Whiteside look and perform excellently together, despite their differences. Her dancing has a warmth and an amplitude; although she’s never off the beat, she gives the impression of dancing slowly to try to fill out the steps. Whiteside, on the other hand, is very correct in his behavior, almost stern—executing the steps extremely well, but without ease (there’s that word again).

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Dance teacher Nina Clarke looks forward to meeting "the Wayne Sleep." Nice pic of teacher with her charges.

She said: “Wayne Sleep is one of the biggest names in ballet not just in this country, but throughout the world and I am thrilled that I am going to meet him.

“He is so knowledgeable and passionate about ballet and I am looking forward to hearing him speak and passing on his wisdom and enthusiasm to all me and all my babyballet stars.”

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Natalie v. ScarJo in "American Women in Paris."

The Black Swan actress had a head start by marrying Benjamin Millepied, a French dance star who is due to take over the Paris Opera Ballet this autumn, and by learning to speak French (Johansson’s fiance, Romain Dauriac, par contre (on the other hand), is a journalist). But Portman has also remained characteristically discreet — a quintessential Parisian quality — about her integration, something Johansson would have done well to emulate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):