• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Recently I've been watching as many clips as there are online of this beautiful ballet.  I think it is a shame that the work is getting into oblivion, being as it is a wonderful vehicle to show the best of foot work in its ballerinas.  I is also a shame that the current core of young female dancers is not having enough exposure to the singularities of the romantic era projection.  I haven't seen this ballet live after I left Cuba, and I have the sad feeling that I won't be be seeing it for a long time.  So...

When was the last time you saw GPDQ live...?

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

About 10 years ago, in a student production at Cornish College.  I've learned most of the parts, at one point or another, and taught excerpts from them in classes (when I still taught) -- they are indeed good for performance quality as well as the clarity of the footwork.

#3 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

About 12 years ago I set this ballet for some extra-talented students at the university where I taught. As far as I can remember, we did most, but not all of the sections. They LOVED doing it, learned a lot, and did a reasonable job of it. And I loved being able to introduce this to my students and the audience, as I think it is a lovely, now-little-known gem of a ballet.

#4 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

I wonder when was the last time it was done by ABT...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):