Ray

Ballet Parody

24 posts in this topic

"I really love expressing expressions."

And the original that's being parodied, an ad that has had ballet teachers and institutions calling out the lack of technique and training all across social media:

The first time I saw this (the original) I was utterly convinced that it was a joke.

I must admit that I was quite shocked to discover that, no, probably the people who made it were serious! :o

The parodies are wonderful.

I do feel sorry for the original model, who surely did her best and had no idea what she was getting herself into.

(I also think the text was NOT her own)

-d-

"When I feel extra expressionist I want the world to feel all the expressions I'm expressing.." happy.pnghappy.png

and then ...

Please tell me that this one is a joke too. At this point.....I can't tell!

It is so hard for real dancers to fake physical ignorance... I love that last one but it's obviously anbody trying hard to make mistakes, not one oblivious to them...

My favorite parody of the original advertisement which I _thought_ was a parody is this one:

-d-

The last one reminded me of the So You Think You Can Dance auditioners who are highlighted every year and told to take lessons, and they're almost always guys. I thought it was real at first, but it turned out to be a double parody.

This was full of throwaway moments -- I particularly enjoyed the swiveling 4th position around :25.

In the very firsts video linked (firsts post), the best part for me is the end. An elaborate preparation for a pirouette followed by the final triumphant pose, but without the actual pirouette. Worthy of Carol Burnett, Dawn French, and other great ballerina wannabes.

The problem with these is keeping a straight face when seeing the original. I recently had to beat down visions of Amelia's drunk ballerina scene from "The Turning Point" during PNB's recent "Giselle" run.

Mumbling my favorite line from "The Turning Point" - "Once more, with no feeling please." innocent.gif