La Bayadere

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

Any recommendations for which cast to see?   The Friday and Saturday nights are out.  Are any of the guest artists worth seeing?  Otherwise, I'm leaning toward the Part matinee.   

#2 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:05 AM

Any recommendations for which cast to see?   The Friday and Saturday nights are out.  Are any of the guest artists worth seeing?  Otherwise, I'm leaning toward the Part matinee.   

I love Part and if I weren't working during the day, would definitely go see her Nikiya.

Tereshkina and Shklyarov should be exquisite, and Smirnova/Muntagirov - at the very least intriguing.

Those would be my top three choices

#3 nanushka

nanushka

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:30 AM

Bayadere is one of Part's best roles, if not her best.  She's always gorgeous in it, and it sounds like her partnership with Whiteside has really blossomed.  I'd strongly recommend that one!

#4 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

I saw Part dance Nikiya twice, both times with Gomes and they were both spectacular.  I've never seen Whiteside as the lead in a full length ballet.  I did see him dance (with Herrera) in Theme and Variations  last November and I was very impressed with Whiteside.  I'm really looking forward to his Solor. 

I saw Tereshkina dance the Russian girl in Serenade in 2008 and she was really lovely.  I saw Shkyarov dance in Rubies and Etudes in 2008 and as the lead in The Little Humpbacked Horse in 2011.  He was not only a sensational dancer but a very good actor.  I don't think you can miss seeing both of them.  If I could get to Manhattan (from Staten Island) on a weekday evening I would certainly see their performance in La Bayadere.

#5 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:02 AM

Part it is!

I know this has been asked many times before, and I myself have asked it, but: Right now, there is the choice of Orchestra Row H on the center aisle or Grand Tier Row A in the center.  Which would you choose?   

#6 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

To see the corps formations in the Kingdom of the Shades you would need to be in Grand Tier.  So I would go higher.

#7 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

I also have tickets for the Part Matinee. Looking forward to seeing Stella Abrera as Gamzatti!!!

#8 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

In my opinion, orchestra Row H is too close for viewing any ballet at the Met, especially La Bayadere and the glorious kingdom of the shade segment (this has already been said).  I think you have to be in row L or further back at the Metropolitan Opera House to really enjoy a ballet at the Metropolitan Opera House.  The David Koch Theater is quite a different story.  Orchestra row H is very good viewing at the Koch .  But then I think practically any orchestra seat at the Koch Theater is good for watching ballets.  From what I have read and heard, we have Mr. Balanchine to thank for this.

#9 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I've tried several different locations and they all have their pluses and minuses.  I was in Row J on the center aisle two nights ago, which in a Broadway theater would be perfect, but at the MET is still seemed far away and I needed my glasses to see clearly.  

#10 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

At the risk of repeating myself, IMHO every seat at the Met is a compromise for ballet. My first choice is Orchestra Row J on the center aisle, but my second choice is Orchestra Row A. Even though you miss the very bottoms of the dancers' feet, you see their facial expressions and the details of their dancing with magnificent clarity. Row A in the Grand Tier is way too far back for me.

#11 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

Isn't it uncomfortable to try to look up from Orchestra Row A? 

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Yes, very uncomfortable to look up to the stage. I once sat in Row B.  My neck hurt the entire time.

#13 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Go with Row A in the GRand Tier.  "Bayadere" is about spectacle and certainly the corps work in the Shades scene.  Too close and it's lost.   The orchestra loses too much perspective.

#14 Ceeszi

Ceeszi

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

It is after midnight - I will write more tomorrow, but just have to post that it was a magical Bayadere last night. All three leads were at their absolute best.

One funny thing - when they moved Solor's divan/couch in Act II, something dropped on the floor that sent a couple of sparks flying. As the Shades were entering, a visible hand came out from behind the curtain to clean up whatever that was.

#15 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

Agreed with Ceeszi--Vishneva and Gomes as the leads were superb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):