Don Quixote - Spring 2014 MET Season

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 c-green

c-green

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:01 AM

I attended at 5/16's and 5/17's evening shows. I really enjoyed both performances, but especially 5/17 evening !! That was magic.

5/16 Paloma Herrera and Ivan Vasiliev

Paloma Herrera was still most charming as Kitri! When she appeared, she stole the stage. Her balance keeps were very well, andjumps were sharp and high.
Ivan Vasiliev gave very high and tricky jumps(ex. suddenly opened his legs in the air).That was worth seeing.
In solos, he showed off himself thrillingly. The audience applauded loudly to him.

However, I did not find love between them not at all. It's the most disappointing point in this performance.
Also Vasiliev slowed in his pirouette in last solo in Act Ⅲ, it fizzled out in the end.
But as a exhibition of ballet-techniques, that night was very enjoyable.

5/17 Polina Semionova and Marcelo Gomes

I think everyone who watched Marcelo and Polina dance that night would smile widely and feel happiness.
Polina was filled with the joy to dance with her brilliant, reliable and dedicated partner. Her technique was superb and seemed that she was at the top of her game.

Marcelo really seems to love showing off Polina,so she tried to hand him the huge bouquet in their curtaincalls with her heartfelt gratitude, it was supremely convincing.
(He was surprised at it and give back it to her with laugh)

Marcelo's dancing and acting were totally perfect. Though he seems to be somehow moderate in the forest scene, he entirely controlled his power and his power grew more and more through the production.
His "One hand lifts" was absolutely incredible!! These were the most wonderful lifts I've ever seen. He looked like lifting a little bouquet, not a ballerina. He lifted her highly with his one arm, and his the other arm dangled at his side. It lasted for a long time.
His multiple manage, beautiful fouette and turns were also so gorgeous.

He command entire stage and paid attention to soloists and corps de ballet. Of course, to Polina, most passionately.

#32 seattle_dancer

seattle_dancer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

I anybody has comments from Friday evening's Herrera/Vasiliev performance, I'd love to read since I had to leave NYC on Thursday.  Last year he lifted Osipova with one arm, did a low arabesque, and then went up on releve!  Curious if he is doing this trick with other partners and in general how he is working with different partners?  Thank you in advance!

On Friday w. Herrera, Vasiliev lifted her one one arm and did a low arabesque, but he did not go up on releve, based on what I recall. 

#33 seattle_dancer

seattle_dancer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

Thank you abatt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):