This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2014 White Nights Festival at the Mariinsky

Hey I've just seen an audience recording of the La Bayadere performance on the 12th - are they now using the costumes from the reconstruction on a permanent basis? Because if they are, good! Many of those costumes are absolutely beautiful.

Some of the costumes were different, but even seeing the July 12 (Kolegova danced; Gergiev conducted) and comparing with July 13 and 14 (Tereshkina; Gruzin conducted) there were differences between Nikiya's costumes. I think Tereshkina wore the traditional Nikiya costumes. Kolegova wore ones I never saw that include a type of tight pants/leggings with the skirt. I will have to go back and re-watch the reconstruction to see if these are the same.

Some of the new costumes were nice but some were awful. The Indian who charms the snake right before the Kingdom of the Shades had a turban that looked more like a sombrero and a friend said from higher up it looked like a fried egg on top of his head, b/c there was a yellow circle in the middle of the white turban.

I have to say that I much prefer Nikiya's maroon (traditional) costume during her death scene. That is what Tereshkina wore.

The worst part about Marchuk's costume was the "X" on her midriff. What was that supposed to be or mean? I think her costume was the worst costume on the stage, but the Indian drummers also had hats that reminded me of the New Wave rock group Devo. There were just a lot of weird costumes. But still seeing 3 Bayaderes back to back at the Mariinsky was wonderful. I can't really complain. It was nice to see 32 shades instead of 24 (ABT).....and I love the Nikiya and the Slave scene which is a Soviet interpolation. I think when the reconstruction first appeared they left out the Golden Idol (because that was also a Soviet interpolation), and people were really upset by that, b/c they have come to love the Golden Idol. I do too.

I have always viewed the "Scarf Duet" as more of a solo variation, to tell you the truth. She is really the only one dancing and he is just pretty much standing there helping only with the scarf and not really much help to her (although that could be debated, I suppose, since he provides tension on the scarf), and then he leaves with the scarf, and she finishes. So even though I know people refer to it as a scarf duet, I have always personally viewed it as her variation.

I like the reconstruction for the knowledge it affords us. But I have to admit that I also love the now "traditional" version of Bayadere as well. It is hard for me to choose both ways. My wish is that the Mariinsky had filmed the reconstructions of Sleeping Beauty and Bayadere so there is a nice clear high definition copy for everyone to purchase and have access to and that they would perform these versions on special occasions but also maintain the "traditional" versions as well. After all, they continue to play both versions of Nutcracker that they do (the Soviet one and the Chemiakin version). So why not do the same with the other ballets?

By the way, thanks for asking about my injuries. I am much better. It will take time!

Thanks for the info, Mathilde K.! I am glad the Yacobsen Ballet is considered worth attending since I felt that way too!

I strongly recommend the DVD Everything Turns into Dancing & Don Juan .

It consists of two ballet-films, the first appeared, I think, in 1978 but was filmed probably just after the death of Leonid Jakobson. Its video quality is not even Thirld World. It offers some very interesting choreography (Female variations are fantastic) and frequently spectacular quality of dancing. It presents Jakobson's troupe, Хореографические миниатюры (Choreographic miniatures), soon after the grand mâitre's death and under the new artistic director Askold Makarov.

The second film on the DVD is a mini-ballet Don Juan by Sergei Vikulov (recorded not later than 1988), with Sergei Berezhnoi, young Zhanna Ayupova, Veronika Ivanova, Olga Likhovskaya and Yuri Zhukov.

...Oh yeah, that Chemiakin/Simonov Nutcracker... what the hell?! Were those guys high on drugs when they created that creepy as hell version of the world's most popular ballet?! And I thought Matthew Bourne and Mark Morris's versions were absolutely bonkers... I had to study the former when I studied Dance at school.

I have never seen that Nutcracker and was surprised at the youtube videos. It reminds me of Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. Is that the only Nutcracker currently performed by the Mariinsky?

No, the Mariinsky does two Nutcrackers.....one is the Soviet version which is like a traditional version (done in 3 acts and prologue) and the other is the Chemiakin version (done in 2 acts). I think they tend to play the more traditional one much more often.

Chemiakin is actually a fascinating artist. I have seen an exhibition of his artwork which I enjoyed, and there is a modern looking Peter the Great sculpture by him in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg.

Thanks for the info, Mathilde K.! I am glad the Yacobsen Ballet is considered worth attending since I felt that way too!

I strongly recommend the DVD Everything Turns into Dancing & Don Juan .

It consists of two ballet-films, the first appeared, I think, in 1978 but was filmed probably just after the death of Leonid Jakobson. Its video quality is not even Thirld World. It offers some very interesting choreography (Female variations are fantastic) and frequently spectacular quality of dancing. It presents Jakobson's troupe, Хореографические миниатюры (Choreographic miniatures), soon after the grand mâitre's death and under the new artistic director Askold Makarov.

The second film on the DVD is a mini-ballet Don Juan by Sergei Vikulov (recorded not later than 1988), with Sergei Berezhnoi, young Zhanna Ayupova, Veronika Ivanova, Olga Likhovskaya and Yuri Zhukov.

Thanks for that tip! I added it to my cart!

I did notice that in the Yakobson Ballet's Swan Lake at the Alexandrinsky that Odile's variation was different (and with different music). I wonder if it was Yakobson's choreography or some famous ballerina's version.