Birdsall

2014 White Nights Festival at the Mariinsky

139 posts in this topic

Hey I've just seen an audience recording of the La Bayadere performance on the 12th - are they now using the costumes from the reconstruction on a permanent basis? Because if they are, good! Many of those costumes are absolutely beautiful.

Hey I've just seen an audience recording of the La Bayadere performance on the 12th - are they now using the costumes from the reconstruction on a permanent basis? Because if they are, good! Many of those costumes are absolutely beautiful.

Some of the costumes were different, but even seeing the July 12 (Kolegova danced; Gergiev conducted) and comparing with July 13 and 14 (Tereshkina; Gruzin conducted) there were differences between Nikiya's costumes. I think Tereshkina wore the traditional Nikiya costumes. Kolegova wore ones I never saw that include a type of tight pants/leggings with the skirt. I will have to go back and re-watch the reconstruction to see if these are the same.

Some of the new costumes were nice but some were awful. The Indian who charms the snake right before the Kingdom of the Shades had a turban that looked more like a sombrero and a friend said from higher up it looked like a fried egg on top of his head, b/c there was a yellow circle in the middle of the white turban.

I have to say that I much prefer Nikiya's maroon (traditional) costume during her death scene. That is what Tereshkina wore.

Yeah the two Nikiya costumes from Act 1, scene 1 and Act 2 that Kolegova wore on the 12th are the ones from the reconstruction and it's good to see them being used again. I actually prefer those two Nikiya costumes than the traditional ones because sometimes I feel the traditional ones can be just a little bit too exotic... lol

Also the reconstruction costumes are better because they're more historically accurate, though I do prefer the traditional Act 1, scene 1 costume for Solor (the one Askerov wore) and I also prefer the traditional tutus for the Kingdom of the Shades. At least this performance showed that you can use both the traditional and reconstruction costumes together.

Oh and Bart, you were absolutely right about Oksana Marchuk's costume - why the hell was she wearing the American flag?! Lol!

The worst part about Marchuk's costume was the "X" on her midriff. What was that supposed to be or mean? I think her costume was the worst costume on the stage, but the Indian drummers also had hats that reminded me of the New Wave rock group Devo. There were just a lot of weird costumes. But still seeing 3 Bayaderes back to back at the Mariinsky was wonderful. I can't really complain. It was nice to see 32 shades instead of 24 (ABT).....and I love the Nikiya and the Slave scene which is a Soviet interpolation. I think when the reconstruction first appeared they left out the Golden Idol (because that was also a Soviet interpolation), and people were really upset by that, b/c they have come to love the Golden Idol. I do too.

Indeed, I don't understand that big "X" either lol!

Well the Golden Idol was included in the première of the reconstruction and it was taken out afterwards, but then it was put back in due to popular demand. I'm actually not a fan of the pas de deux for Nikiya and the Slave because just like so many dances Konstantin Sergeyev put into these ballets, it's so unnecessary! Plus the music comes from La Esmeralda, another ballet that is notated in the Sergeyev Collection and another ballet that needs reconstructed.

Actually one thing I can't understand is why no one anywhere has reconstructed the original so-called "Scarf Duet" from the Kingdom of the Shades because Petipa's original version is not a duet, it's a solo for Nikiya with the scarf. What happens is she enters holding one end of the scarf and the other end is attached to a wire up in the rafters above the stage and when Nikiya lets go of the scarf halfway through the dance, it flies away across the stage and disappears into the rafters as if it were supernaturally guided. Why no one has reconstructed that, I really don't know because not only is it absolutely wonderful, it's the sort of thing that the audience likes to see! I would love to see that!

I have always viewed the "Scarf Duet" as more of a solo variation, to tell you the truth. She is really the only one dancing and he is just pretty much standing there helping only with the scarf and not really much help to her (although that could be debated, I suppose, since he provides tension on the scarf), and then he leaves with the scarf, and she finishes. So even though I know people refer to it as a scarf duet, I have always personally viewed it as her variation.

I have always viewed the "Scarf Duet" as more of a solo variation, to tell you the truth. She is really the only one dancing and he is just pretty much standing there helping only with the scarf and not really much help to her (although that could be debated, I suppose, since he provides tension on the scarf), and then he leaves with the scarf, and she finishes. So even though I know people refer to it as a scarf duet, I have always personally viewed it as her variation.

Yeah exactly, all the more reason why the original should be restored.

And also Bart just going back to the reconstruction, what did you think of seeing the Grand Pas d'action in the final act instead of the second act?

I like the reconstruction for the knowledge it affords us. But I have to admit that I also love the now "traditional" version of Bayadere as well. It is hard for me to choose both ways. My wish is that the Mariinsky had filmed the reconstructions of Sleeping Beauty and Bayadere so there is a nice clear high definition copy for everyone to purchase and have access to and that they would perform these versions on special occasions but also maintain the "traditional" versions as well. After all, they continue to play both versions of Nutcracker that they do (the Soviet one and the Chemiakin version). So why not do the same with the other ballets?

By the way, thanks for asking about my injuries. I am much better. It will take time!

By the way, thanks for asking about my injuries. I am much better. It will take time!

Aww that's good, wishing you a speedy recovery from Northern Ireland. smile.png

I know, it's so disappointing that they didn't film the Sleeping Beauty and Bayadere reconstructions, though at least the Raymonda, Le Corsaire and Coppelia reconstructions were and they're absolutely fabulous also.

I was really happy that Vikharev reconstructed La Bayadere because it meant we all got to see the original fourth act - that is the one thing I hate about the "traditional" version, the omission of the fourth act. I hate La Bayadere ending on the third act because it feels so unfinished! I'm not a fan of Natalia Makarova's version, but I do applaud her for putting in the final act, though I really wish she used the original libretto...

Oh yeah, that Chemiakin/Simonov Nutcracker... what the hell?! Were those guys high on drugs when they created that creepy as hell version of the world's most popular ballet?! And I thought Matthew Bourne and Mark Morris's versions were absolutely bonkers... I had to study the former when I studied Dance at school.

Thanks for the info, Mathilde K.! I am glad the Yacobsen Ballet is considered worth attending since I felt that way too!

I strongly recommend the DVD Everything Turns into Dancing & Don Juan .

It consists of two ballet-films, the first appeared, I think, in 1978 but was filmed probably just after the death of Leonid Jakobson. Its video quality is not even Thirld World. It offers some very interesting choreography (Female variations are fantastic) and frequently spectacular quality of dancing. It presents Jakobson's troupe, Хореографические миниатюры (Choreographic miniatures), soon after the grand mâitre's death and under the new artistic director Askold Makarov.

The second film on the DVD is a mini-ballet Don Juan by Sergei Vikulov (recorded not later than 1988), with Sergei Berezhnoi, young Zhanna Ayupova, Veronika Ivanova, Olga Likhovskaya and Yuri Zhukov.

...Oh yeah, that Chemiakin/Simonov Nutcracker... what the hell?! Were those guys high on drugs when they created that creepy as hell version of the world's most popular ballet?! And I thought Matthew Bourne and Mark Morris's versions were absolutely bonkers... I had to study the former when I studied Dance at school.

I have never seen that Nutcracker and was surprised at the youtube videos. It reminds me of Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. Is that the only Nutcracker currently performed by the Mariinsky?

No, the Mariinsky does two Nutcrackers.....one is the Soviet version which is like a traditional version (done in 3 acts and prologue) and the other is the Chemiakin version (done in 2 acts). I think they tend to play the more traditional one much more often.

Chemiakin is actually a fascinating artist. I have seen an exhibition of his artwork which I enjoyed, and there is a modern looking Peter the Great sculpture by him in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg.

Thanks for the info, Mathilde K.! I am glad the Yacobsen Ballet is considered worth attending since I felt that way too!

I strongly recommend the DVD Everything Turns into Dancing & Don Juan .

It consists of two ballet-films, the first appeared, I think, in 1978 but was filmed probably just after the death of Leonid Jakobson. Its video quality is not even Thirld World. It offers some very interesting choreography (Female variations are fantastic) and frequently spectacular quality of dancing. It presents Jakobson's troupe, Хореографические миниатюры (Choreographic miniatures), soon after the grand mâitre's death and under the new artistic director Askold Makarov.

The second film on the DVD is a mini-ballet Don Juan by Sergei Vikulov (recorded not later than 1988), with Sergei Berezhnoi, young Zhanna Ayupova, Veronika Ivanova, Olga Likhovskaya and Yuri Zhukov.

Thanks for that tip! I added it to my cart!

I did notice that in the Yakobson Ballet's Swan Lake at the Alexandrinsky that Odile's variation was different (and with different music). I wonder if it was Yakobson's choreography or some famous ballerina's version.

...Oh yeah, that Chemiakin/Simonov Nutcracker... what the hell?! Were those guys high on drugs when they created that creepy as hell version of the world's most popular ballet?! And I thought Matthew Bourne and Mark Morris's versions were absolutely bonkers... I had to study the former when I studied Dance at school.

I have never seen that Nutcracker and was surprised at the youtube videos. It reminds me of Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. Is that the only Nutcracker currently performed by the Mariinsky?

No, the Mariinsky does two Nutcrackers.....one is the Soviet version which is like a traditional version (done in 3 acts and prologue) and the other is the Chemiakin version (done in 2 acts). I think they tend to play the more traditional one much more often.

Chemiakin is actually a fascinating artist. I have seen an exhibition of his artwork which I enjoyed, and there is a modern looking Peter the Great sculpture by him in the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg.

Yeah I do have to admit that that artwork by Chemiakin is fascinating, especially for the second act - he certainly captured the whole atmosphere of a land made of sweets.