#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,056 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

A thoughtful review by Ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

Where is Tanztheater Wuppertal five years after Pina Bausch's death? She had been the troupe's core and driving force. On entering Wuppertal's opera house one bumps first into a stall offering Pina Bausch books and posters. The audience sitting near me spoke reverently about 'her' pieces and when 'she' did them. Compare this with Stuttgart Ballet, for example, which has John Cranko at its heart. The Stuttgart is a most vivid company. It amalgamates looking forward with its vital history. I remember a comment by Vladimir Klos (one of Stuttgart Ballet's former key dancers and now the associate artistic director of State Ballet Karlsruhe) at a panel discussion in celebration of the 50th birthday of Cranko's “Romeo and Juliet” in late 2012. Klos spoke of Cranko's spirit, which still would be present at Stuttgart's opera house. He was right. In Wuppertal, however, Pina Busch's spirit has gone.

#2 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Very interesting! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. 

I saw Tanztheater Wuppertal a few times back in the early 80s. 

Just a few months ago I had the opportunity to go back and see another performance (not one I had seen before, though). 

The difference between the "older" dancers, those who had actually worked with Pina for many years (and there are still more than just a few, it seems, actively performing) and the newer, younger ones was somewhat striking. 

It is as if the newer dancers are more involved with the steps, such as they are, and they faithfully "reproduce" what was before. It does not seem "spontaneous" and as if they "own" what they are doing. Or so it seemed to me. Surely just subjective. 

The comparison with Stuttgart Ballet under Cranko and now is intriguing. Of course, Cranko died a very long time ago; the company has had a lot of time to find their way and incorporate his "spirit" into the current company without turning him into an icon.

I also wonder if the fact that a ballet dancers' career is often significantly shorter than a dancer who does the sort of thing Pina Bausch did could have any influence on the way things are going? 

Or are they all financial reasons? Wuppertal is not Stuttgart, by any means. 

It will be interesting to see what happens; how things develop. 

-d-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):