Next Artistic Director for ABTPoll

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Next Artistic Director for ABT (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Should Be the Next Artistic Director for ABT?

1. Victor Barbee (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Julio Bocca (4 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

3. Jose Manuel Carreno (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Angel Corella (6 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

5. John Gardner and Amanda McKerrow (8 votes [13.79%])

Percentage of vote: 13.79%

6. Laurent Hilaire (2 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

7. Susan Jaffe (5 votes [8.62%])

Percentage of vote: 8.62%

8. Gelsey Kirkland (6 votes [10.34%])

9. Johan Kobborg (6 votes [10.34%])

10. Ethan Steifel (21 votes [36.21%])

Percentage of vote: 36.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

Vote your conscience -- you only have one vote!

#2 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

Wondered if I should be surprised that Ratmansky's name was NOT included - given (i) his now established commitment to ABT and (ii) the fact that he ran the Bolshoi ... 

#3 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

I think it would have to very hard to run a company while regularly choreographing new work.

#4 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hard to choose for me, from ex-ABT alums. I'd say Bocca or Gardner/McKerrow (someone needs to save Tudor and bring pathos and excellent training back to ABT) top the list. Though, Bocca is doing great things with his company (as is Corella), so it's hard to say that they should leave and have those companies potentially fall apart being so new. Regardless, most of these people should be coaching regularly (especially Kirkland) if they are not part of the admin--this is the second biggest problem after the director issue.

Absolute no to Victor Barbee. He's a part of this mess right now, and while I have no evidence of whether he supports McKenzie's decisions he is certainly in the room about them and nothing seems to be changing.

#5 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

My first choice Ratmansky is not listed. He'd be a shoo-in, the only thing is whether he wants the job. Another top choice of mine is Ananiashvili but with her own company and family being in Georgia it's long shot she'd take the job.

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,142 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

When he ran the Bolshoi, a company whose corps is bigger than ABT, Ratmansky managed to choreograph major works, and the politics and time  wasted on them there make ABT seem like Romper Room.  While he might not want the job -- or very well might -- I'm surprised he's not on a short list, let along the long one in this poll.

#7 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

That's why I am not voting because of exclusion of Ratmansky.

#8 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but when they celebrated KM's anniversary in 2012, he had just signed a new ten-year (yes, ten-year) renewal of his contract. Barring some financial catastrophe blamed on him, he's not going anywhere soon. And as far as considering Barbee as a new AD, that would mean we'd still be seeing Julie Kent dancing as a principal when she's...well, to put it diplomatically, as old as I am.

#9 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but when they celebrated KM's anniversary in 2012, he had just signed a new ten-year (yes, ten-year) renewal of his contract. Barring some financial catastrophe blamed on him, he's not going anywhere soon. 

oh, good heavens.....

#10 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

The poll function only allows for ten choices so I tried to strike a balance between obvious choices and unconventional ones.  Feel free to "vote" for the person of your choice in the comments section if that person doesn't appear on the list.

#11 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

When he ran the Bolshoi, a company whose corps is bigger than ABT, Ratmansky managed to choreograph major works, and the politics and time  wasted on them there make ABT seem like Romper Room.  [...]

rofl.GIF 

(Though probably this image should be supplemented by sad.png .)

#12 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

I voted for Steifel, though Ratmansky would have been my first choice. I think Golden Idol is right, the board is highly unlikely to get rid of McKenzie, but we can still hope...

#13 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

It would cost a lot of money to buy him out of his remaining contract. What was the board thinking?

#14 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,142 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

We need to be prepared in case of stray meteors.

#15 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Any one who could get rid of those incessant "week-long" warhorses---the dullest programming ever! Oh! for the glory days of Ballet Theatre......GWTW!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):