• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:07 PM

On the other hand, the new AD and ED can start together as a team... I hope the Board really stands behind whoever it is...

#17 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

This will be very challenging for this company which, unlike PNB or NYCB, has not spent the time/resources to develop a strong organization.  IMHO. 

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

I think almost any organization that has managed their leadership transition will tell you it's very important to have some continuity in the administration when you're making this kind of change -- with both the AD and the ED walking out the door, taking a significant amount of institutional memory with them, this could be a very fraught time at the company.

#19 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

I wonder if the Interim Director, David Gray, will bring his wife with him in any capacity??  

#20 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Interesting. Thank you. I never seem to remember names. His brother in law was lighting director for PAB back in the 90s. The company may be in good hands. Wonder who will come next...

#21 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

The question might be, which came first the chicken or the egg? We only know the order of announcements. The times are changing for sure. The chances of a Weisburger protégée leading PABallet (FYI in the 1970s and 1980 we called it PBC) seems quite slim. There is Christine Cox, still in Philadelphia choreographing and directing Ballet X , who is young enough and has quite a bit of experience as an ED as well, more so than R. Kaiser when he took the helm in the 1990s, but chances are they will be selecting from an international pool, leaving the talented Ms. Cox with her Ballet X. The point I am trying to make is that if it is not Ms. Cox, the connection to Weisburger will be lost.

#22 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

I'll throw in a random name: Damian Woetzel. Companies with a Balanchine connection have hired nycb alum. His peers (Boal and Hubbe) are all running companies. He's done a nice job with the Aspen/Vail festival (where he's brought in some of the biggest names in American dance), has a degree from Harvard, has a connection with the Kennedy Center and important people. And I'm guessing he knows Gray and the Kaiser family.

His bio:

http://www.aspeninst.../damian-woetzel

#23 mira

mira

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Roy Kaiser is staying on to help with the transition at Pa Ballet and will be named Artistic Director Emeritus.

#24 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

But won't the artistic team under Roy Kaiser still be in place and don't they have a long history with the company? I thought Gribler & Kaiser were the same generation. Christine Cox is doing an admirable job with Ballet X and should be much funded, but has she any interest in presenting the canon of ballets Philadelphia expects from PAB? It would be like Morphoses coming to Miami City Ballet. How has that worked out, by the way?

#25 mira

mira

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

I think everyone stays in place until the new Artistic Director takes over.  Yes, Roy Kaiser and Jeff Gribler and Tamara Hadley have a shared history as dancers and then as Artistic Director and Artistic Staff.   To try to shed some light on your question about Morphoses/Miami City Ballet - thus far the rep seems to be unchanged.  Edward Villella had been commissioning new works prior to his departure and Lourdes Lopez is continuing in that creative direction as well.

#26 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

Dale, my vote would be for Damian, too.  He is the first person that came to mind.  He not only has the Balanchine connection, but I believe he would be open to expanding the rep in other directions - more pure classical and more cutting edge contemporary.  I believe there are others who would be able to do that, but they don't necessarily have the Balanchine connection/sensibility.  I am hoping the board really thinks it through.  There are those out there and available with a "name," but I am not sure they would necessarily be good for the company.

#27 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Just FYI, Woetzel is presenting PAB at Vail this summer:

http://www.vvf.org/c...-upclose-jewels

#28 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Just FYI, Woetzel is presenting PAB at Vail this summer:

http://www.vvf.org/c...-upclose-jewels

It's a tiny, tiny world!

He's been doing some excellent work at Vail, and he's certainly heading for a larger stage.  Not sure if he thought it was going to be this stage at this time, but you deal with the opportunities that come your way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):