This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Pennsylvania Ballet at 50 on PBSMay 2, 2014

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

PBS schedules vary widely, of course, but "Pennsylvania Ballet at 50" is being shown on Denver PBS (Ch. 6) on Friday, May 2, from 9-10 pm. The DVD will be released on May 13, 2014, on Amazon. The program includes Part I of "After the Rain" and "Diamonds."

http://www.pbs.org/p...ylvania-ballet/

If you order it from Amazon, be sure to go through the Amazon box on this site: 

http://www.amazon.co...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thanks California.  It's going to be shown on New York's Channel 13 on May 2 at 9PM.

#3 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

According to the PBS page linked to above, we're waiting until Sunday May 11, Mother's Day, in Chicago, when Channel 11 is scheduled to carry it at 2 PM; the page carries a reference to "Diamonds" suite.  Any idea what this is about, or just another example of a copy-writer's not quite got it?  But thanks to you, California, it's on my calendar now. 

#4 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

And there's nothing scheduled for Seattle/KCTS.

A question -- on the website there's a photo that looks like a pose from After the Rain, but the costumes look like the Calder work -- am I hallucinating?

#5 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

the page carries a reference to "Diamonds" suite.  Any idea what this is about, or just another example of a copy-writer's not quite got it?  

Is that Channel 11's page? The PBS page says that

The third featured ballet is “Diamonds” from Jewels by George Balanchine. 

#6 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

Depends what block of text ya' read.  The main text, the one you quote, below the still image, is pretty good, but there's another on the right with the channel and time that says

A celebration of the Pennsylvania Ballet's golden anniversary, featuring performances of Christopher Wheeldon's "After the Rain"; Margo Sappington's "Under the Sun Pas de Deux"; and George Balanchine's "Diamonds" suite from his three-act "Jewels." Also: remarks from Pennsylvania Ballet founder Barbara Weisberger; and artistic director Roy Kaiser.

(The text is the same even when you change the station.)

So we may get the whole ballet!  That'd be nice.  I  think there might be enough time:  The other dances we glimpse in the video clip seem to be the Wheeldon excerpt movement, in gray costumes, and the pas de deux from the Sappington ballet inspired by Calder, shown mis-captioned in the still image, in the bright colors.  We'll see what we'll see, but I thought somebody might have spotted an intelligent preview article in the press. 

#7 mira

mira

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:35 AM

PBS did tape the entire After The Rain but when they decided to release it for purchase (not just broadcast),  Chris Wheeldon felt that because the pas was created and is so closely identified with Wendy Whelan, that he could not give permission to have that part of ATR sold.

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

I'm a bit confused -- so the video for sale has the "rest" of After the Rain, but not the duet? 

#9 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

Since Wheeldon has given (I mean sold) performance rights to After the Rain to numerous ballet companies, it seems incongruous to assert that he doesn't want the pdd of that ballet on video because it is associated with Wendy Whelan.  The entire heart and guts of the ballet is the pdd.

#10 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm wondering how many companies present just the duet (PNB for one) and how many perform the whole work.  Is the rest of the work often performed without the duet?

#11 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

AT NYCB, the pdd is frequently performed alone, but the work has never been performed without the pdd.

#12 Kaysta

Kaysta

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Just watched it. They did show entire Diamonds. Looked like Julie Diana and Zachary Hench danced the leads, they were both superb.

This is the first time I saw Under the Sun pas de deux and it was fantastic. Couldn't tell who was dancing it? Was it Brooke Moore and Ian Hussey?

I didn't enjoy the After the Rain segment as much as the others.

#13 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

... They did show entire Diamonds. Looked like Julie Diana and Zachary Hench danced the leads, they were both superb.

Thanks for that!  Looking forward, here in Chicago.

#14 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:11 AM

I was glad to see the complete Diamonds, but I didn't like the camera work for the large ensemble sections. One of the amazing things about Balanchine (as a commentator on the show pointed out) is his genius at moving large groups of people around stage. Yet the camera often picked out a small group from the ensemble and focused on that instead. I like to see the evolving patterns of the large groups in his choreography and this was often missed. Great principals, as others have noted.

#15 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

Uh, oh.  So you knew part of the show was hidden from view.  Well, Matthew Diamond has not been one of my top favorite directors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):