• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

The entire program is now online and is supposed to stay up for the next six months. For the moment I am not encountering a geo-block--though I was prepared to start using all sorts of tricks to work around it. For those of us with only fuzzy memories of how Palais de Cristal differs from Symphony in C, it is a fascinating comparison. 

The ballerina in the second movement is Ludmila Pagliero rather than Marie-Agnès Gillot.

http://culturebox.fr...lanchine-157321

#32 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Wow. This is amazing to have up there. Thank you, volcanohunter!

#33 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

It seems to be geo-blocked for me (in Toronto).

#34 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

I can work my way around French TV's geo-block with a VPN, but their block is cleverer than most. First I have to clear my browser's cache of everything, so that no cookies can be used to figure out where I've been. In fact, I use one browser exclusively for watching French TV online and never open it without first masquerading as a Parisian.

(My browser's default language is also not set to English, which probably helps in this case.)

#35 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

I ... never open it without first masquerading as a Parisian.

This has all kinds of possibilities!

#36 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

Bien sûr!

#37 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

Lovely to see Thibault again . . . but bittersweet knowing that the top prize will most likely elude him.

#38 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Wow the second and fourth movements almost unrecognizable ... so many iconic movements not there. Interesting to see. 

#39 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

Ludmilla Pagliero is exquisite.

#40 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

I use Incognito Mode in Google Chrome. No need to clear caches or masquerade as a Parisian (best I can do is Belgian). Popped up and started streaming immediately.

EDIT: I'm a dope (and should not answer questions after eight hours of hiking). The broadcast is available in the US, so the Incognito workaround only applies when you want to hide your web browsing habits from the server (e.g. volcanohunter's problem). People experiencing geoblocks (that is, being blocked by country or by IP address) would need to find a good VPN service from France or from the US (where it is not blocked) to stream the video.

#41 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

That was really enjoyable. Great to see an earlier Balanchine work that has been well preserved. Even the camerawork was decent. And the ornate costumes (Lacroix?) interested me - a good choice to keep the colors dark and saturated though to keep the decorative appliqué from looking way over-the-top (as with the pink costumes). But it felt a little weird to watch a POB production without Letestu, Dupont, Osta, Pujol or Gillot (though those last two are still with the company). Very much a view of the new generation of POB.

Note that I watched this in the U.S. without any special software 'maneuvers'. Shocking.

EDIT:

Millepied's Daphnis et Chloé has some terrible Op Art geometric visuals to watch during the musical introduction, as in, "lets throw in something completely unrelated to the myth or musical thematics and see what happens!" Golly. Mixing impressionist music together with plainly soulless, anti-organic visuals and you get a needless disruption of the mood that should be created by this passionate music. Not a good start to a ballet.

But we do get to see Dupont dance, and that is something.

#42 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

I use Incognito Mode in Google Chrome. No need to clear caches or masquerade as a Parisian (best I can do is Belgian). Popped up and started streaming immediately.

Thanks for the tip! For some reason Palais de Cristal is not geo-blocked but Daphnis is. I will try your workaround.

#43 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

From California, I've tested the video broadcast in Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome (all on a Mac) and each have loaded properly, though with Safari it recquired a second try - I recieved a blank video space the first time.

#44 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

The version POB is dancing this May has new (coloured) costumes designed by Christian Lacroix

...and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM..!! Oh, the ballet looks SO regal in its full original regalia..I very much would love to see it like that live-(same as with Ballet Imperial)

#45 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

I think they are beautiful but I do not like the way the corps tutus move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):