• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

The second movement is substantially different. In particular, the famous sequence of swooning backbends into penchée arabesques is not in Palais.

#17 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

If only to be more confusing, there is a 1963 b&w recording of the Dutch National Ballet performing Le palais de cristal choreography to the title Symphony in C, complete with colored costumes (I checked, the choreography was identical). Makes me wonder when the 
"new version" finally settled down enough to be recognizably modern. This was on Youtube but has since been deleted. However, you may be able to find Ghislaine Themar coaching the Movement 2 pas de deux to Ciaravola-Moreau. 

The other iconic moment, that of tiny stamping motions en pointe by the ballerinas in the last movement, is completely absent. There is something similar as the dancers promenade forward on a series of dégagés off the music.

In general, the choreography felt more "courtly", especially in the partnered sections, as well as there being more à terre steps — perhaps also a by product of the POB's general legginess — than in the modern version. 

#18 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

I've been thinking the white costumes appeared when the ballet was staged by NYCB, which, having fewer dancers than POB, had many dancers doubling roles among the movements.  With them all in the same color, no one would know.  Not so?

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

I've been thinking the white costumes appeared when the ballet was staged by NYCB, which, having fewer dancers than POB, had many dancers doubling roles among the movements.  With them all in the same color, no one would know.  Not so?

I know that's been suggested as an explanation before, but don't know if it's true.

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

It has to be, because Francia Russell describes doubling up in the corps for the ballet, and I think Allegra Kent did, too, either in an interview or her book.  Once Russell had to do corps and Third Movement soloist and described having to tear one hairpiece out between movements.

Symphony in C has 48 roles:  one Principal couple, two Demi-Soloist couples, and six women.  That's 36 women and 12 men.  I don't even know if Ballet Society had 36 women in 1948.

#21 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Symphony in C has 48 roles:  one Principal couple, two Demi-Soloist couples, and six women.  That's 36 women and 12 men.  I don't even know if Ballet Society had 36 women in 1948.

It didn't, but the School of American Ballet had been running for about 15 years.  In Repertory in Review, Nancy Reynolds counts the casts:

... in the Paris original, each movement was a different color; in the finale, with fifty-two dancers, the stage was divided into color areas.  In New York, Balanchine couldn't have duplicated this for many years because his dancers were so busy doubling from movement to movement.  (Although fifty dancers, many of them students, were rounded up for the Ballet Society presentation, during the early years of the New York City Ballet it was often performed with forty or fewer.)

#22 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

There was a thread here on Symphony in C and its origins as Palais de Crystal in the (sometimes bad) old days of extended discussions –

http://balletalert.i...-c/?hl=sapphire

rg pointed out that –

[Richard] Buckle seems to have had his own sense of the color-coding intended by Fini's design scheme, but it seems her ideas went, in order of the ballet's four movements, according to the following precious materials:
1. The Rubies = allegro vivo
2. The Black Diamonds = adagio
3. The Emeralds = allegro vivace
4. The Pearls [note: NOT diamonds] = allegro vivace

Also the first part of Dominique Delouche's 2011 documentary Balanchine in Paris has a tutorial on Palais de Crystal.

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

The POB has posted some rehearsal footage of Daphnis & Chloe. Naturally it's one of those rapid-edit jobs that makes it very difficult to get a sense of what the piece is really like.

#24 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:08 AM

There are cast changes in Palais already. Amandine Albisson is now scheduled for the first movement in place of Laëtitia Pujol and is in turn replaced in the fourth movement by Nolwenn Daniel. Emmanuel Thibault replaces Mathias Heymann in the third movement.

#25 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:14 AM

It would seem that this Palais de Cristal is the original version.

Of more interest is the choreography, which is a departure on several counts from Symphony in C. More traditionally virtuosic, it lacks some of the iconic moments associated with the later piece, particularly in the adagio; its focus is on intricate leg work, and the French accent that is so problematic in other Balanchine ballets is fully justified here.

http://www.ft.com/in...l#axzz31hc949eE

Some of Lacroix's costumes:

second movement - http://www.resmusica...P-PALAI-040.jpg

fourth movement - http://www.resmusica...P-PALAI-062.jpg

#26 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Oh, thanks for the link to the Lacroix -- how lovely!

#27 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

I was at this performance last night and really liked the costumes. They were very glittery! The green ones looked a little like a tinsel-bedecked Christmas tree, but the midnight blue ones were stunning. A Ballet Met dancer was in attendance and reported that almost 50% of the steps were different. It's not as if I have Symphony in C engraved on my brain, but I certainly did notice some differences to what I am used to.

#28 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

The conclusion of the first movement of Palais.

http://www.operadepa...lais-de-cristal

#29 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

Oh, thanks for the link -- those are really red costumes!

#30 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

Gosh, more Palais cast changes before Tuesday's performance. Valentine Colasante is now scheduled for the third movement, and Pierre Arthur Raveau and Emmanuel Thibault will switch places in the third and fourth movements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):