This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sascha Radetsky to Give ABT Farewell PerformanceJuly 3

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

I think TV pays pretty well, so his gig on Flesh & Bone should give him a nice income, assuming the show lasts more than one season. In addition, he must be getting a pension from ABT.  Certainly a good idea to continue with his education if that's what he wants in the future.

#47 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

The NYT is not looking for a degree per se, but earlier comments are correct -- the quality of your portfolio is the significant issue. If you run a search on any of the writers currently working for the paper, you'll find a long work history.

#48 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

I really hope Sascha will pursue writing in some capacity after his dancing/acting days are over. His twitter is full of his musings and reactions to currently writers and their works -- it's quite clear he understands and appreciates the medium, and has his own personal thoughts about it. I really think there is a place for his voice should he choose to fully explore it.

Here's a pretty interesting interview with him regarding the subject as well as a full compilation of his published writings thus far (aside from the Vogue pieces) -- all of which are wonderful reads! I think the interview may have been shared on this forum previously? or maybe not... http://balletfocus.c...detsky-writing/

#49 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Here's a pretty interesting interview with him regarding the subject as well as a full compilation of his published writings thus far (aside from the Vogue pieces) -- all of which are wonderful reads! I think the interview may have been shared on this forum previously? or maybe not... http://balletfocus.c...detsky-writing/

He's certainly got good (and broad) taste as a reader!

#50 CTballetfan

CTballetfan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Maybe his gig w/ Vogue will evolve into something permanent?  Someone said on this blog he'd be a great dance reviewer for the Times.  That would be an awesome coup.

I agree. What a wonderful writer of clear insight and inventive images that are totally "right" for the piece, and all so seemingly effortless and generous. If the Times prefers its critics pompous and often belittling, surely another publication would welcome regular insights from a dancer who knows dance from the inside but can also see dance in its perspective among the other arts and humanities. I look forward to seeing him in his new TV series and here's to a great new career for him. His writing is like a breath of fresh air that we take after exiting a stuffy room!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):