Sascha Radetsky to Give ABT Farewell PerformanceJuly 3

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Amour

Amour

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

somehow the orchestra went from about 1/2 sold this morning to maybe 85% sold tonight.!

I know people who waited until today to buy their tickets because it was very unclear whether Sascha was actually going to be able to dance tonight (he's been out the whole season). Thank goodness he tweeted early in the day that he was dancing so that gave many people the green light to buy tickets.

#32 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

From Daniil Simkin:

Photo: Sascha Radetsky’s last page bow on the MET stage as a dancer… #a_dancers_life #onstage #niceCalfsSascha http://ift.tt/1ru8puM

#33 Rstorms

Rstorms

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Cautiously entering the forums, where I have been lurking for a year!

I attended last night's performance, as I have enjoyed Sascha Radetsky's performances over the last few years.  He truly seems to enjoy dance.

Last night was the first time I have ever seen Coppelia, and I was underwhelmed by the ballet itself.  I think I expected a more dramatic role for Radetsky's final performance.  So I was somewhat surprised that he spent the entire second act slumped over in a drunken stupor!

During the Act I, it was fun to be a part of an audience so warmly supporting him.  His arrival was met by sustained applause, and he seemed to truly delight in it.  He played Franz as quite a flirt, equally engaging the audience, Swanhilda, and all the young ladies around him.  It was humorous when he appeared visibly frustrated by Coppelia's lack of interest.

I was in a box seat, and could tell that Radetsky was struggling a bit during the 3rd Act.  During one lift, I felt some concern that he didn't seem very steady.  That being said, his delight and joy in dancing made the evening fun.  The audience roared its support and appreciation for this obviously beloved dancer!

It was a "who's who" in the dance world kind of night.  Many ABT luminaries were there.  During the 1st intermission, I noticed David Hallberg graciously posing for photo after photo with a group of young girls in the row behind him.  (He made a quick departure after Act II to get a drink- I don't blame him!)

Below me sat Ethan Stiefel & Gillian Murphy- what a radiant couple!  His hair was VERY closely cropped, like a crew cut. I hardly recognized him at first. Gillian stood out with her red hair.  What was especially heartwarming was Stiefel's enthusiasm in leading the applause.  Even as the audience filtered out, he and Gillian remained applauding vigorously and shouting encouragement.

The audience appeared to be full.  Not Nutcracker full, but definitely full.

Looking forward to hearing from others!

I tried to post a couple of photos here, but clearly haven't figured that out yet.  One is of Stella Abrera embracing Sascha at the curtain call.  It was very sweet. 

#34 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Welcome RStorms -- we're glad you decided to join in the discussion.

You can't post a photo as an attachment, but if it's published to a public-facing website, you can link to it.  For example, David Hallberg tweeted

Embracing the company after curtain down w his wife, Stella.

and this is the link to the tweet with the photo:

https://twitter.com/...207670761484288

#35 Rstorms

Rstorms

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

You can't post a photo as an attachment, but if it's published to a public-facing website, you can link to it.  

Aha.

Photo of the audience in the orchestra section- the other sections appeared to be relatively full as well

Photo of Stella Abrera & Radetsky

#36 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

You can't post a photo as an attachment, but if it's published to a public-facing website, you can link to it.  

Aha.

Photo of the audience in the orchestra section- the other sections appeared to be relatively full as well

RStorms - thanks for joining us and sharing! smile.png

I'm personally, looking forward to hearing from others about tomorrow's farewell performances (there's a part of me that's still in denial about Sascha, Yuriko, AND Jared's departure...WHY?!?!?!?)

ps - videos of curtain call are on YT now (3 parts) but here's that final bow when the audience just wouldn't let him go! It's nice to see that he got a warm goodbye and that the respect between the audience and Sascha goes both ways as he sincerely mouths "thank you" several times.

#37 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

Aha.

RStorms - thanks for joining us and sharing! smile.png

I'm personally, looking forward to hearing from others about tomorrow's farewell performances (there's a part of me that's still in denial about Sascha, Yuriko, AND Jared's departure...WHY?!?!?!?)

ps - videos of curtain call are on YT now (3 parts) but here's that final bow when the audience just wouldn't let him go! It's nice to see that he got a warm goodbye and that the respect between the audience and Sascha goes both ways as he sincerely mouths "thank you" several times.

How sad we missed seeing him dance his Albrecht, etc. when he moved to Dutch National Ballet.  But he will surely be missed at ABT.  His Tybalt, Rothbart, the jailor in Manon, etc. were all excellent.  I personally will miss his work in the more contemporary rep., especially "Upper Room" where he sizzled! Hail and farewell, Sascha!  I can only wish him success in his next step after ABT.

#38 Roberto Dini

Roberto Dini

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

I agree.  I was there applauding to the end.  He will be greatly missed.

#39 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

in case anyone missed it - Sascha's own account of his farewell performance evening...from leaks and floods at the Met, to why he'd been absent for 2 weeks prior, and a really awesome retirement gift from ABT! -- and a very appropriate one if you ask me, aptly fits him, his passion and career :)

http://www.vogue.com...-performance/#1

#40 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

Oh, that was an exceptionally thoughtful gift -- thanks so much for the link!

#41 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for posting this link! I hadn't seen it. I got a bit misty eyed reading about the wonderful farewell gift.

#42 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I've said it before on this site: Sascha is a very good writer. He deserves a permanent column and some smart editor should give it to him.

#43 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Maybe his gig w/ Vogue will evolve into something permanent?  Someone said on this blog he'd be a great dance reviewer for the Times.  That would be an awesome coup.

#44 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

I think you need a lot of academic pedigree, including a degree in journalism, to write for the Times. I did enjoy his piece in Vogue.

On a similar topic, Lourdes Lopez, immediately following her retirement from NYCB, did one or two segments on NBC's local news station here in NYC about dance, but it never turned into a permanent gig. 

#45 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

I think you need a lot of academic pedigree, including a degree in journalism, to write for the Times. I did enjoy his piece in Vogue.

Macaulay has a degree in classics from Cambridge, but he had published extensively before being hired by the Times:
http://www.ballet.co...ir_macaulay.htm

Anna Kisselgoff graduated from Bryn Mawr with a degree in French history, and later got an MA in journalism from Columbia: http://en.wikipedia....Anna_Kisselgoff

I don't know if the other NY Times critics are on staff or free-lancing.

The most important thing for a critic to be taken seriously is to publish a lot of good writing -- free-lance criticism, books, etc. The really big problem nowadays is that so few newspapers and magazines have staff critics. More and more rely on free-lancers and even then papers just aren't publishing the quantity of criticism they used to. Even Dance Magazine abandoned its criticism columns. DanceView has sadly ceased publication after decades of in-depth reviews from all over.

Free-lancers are usually paid a pittance and for some smaller papers, nothing but the comped tickets they get to performances. It's very, very difficult to make a living that way.

I, too, have been impressed with Radetsky's writing. He'd be smart to take any free-lance opportunity he can get to build up a file of clips of published writing and somehow finish a BFA somewhere. Then he could get a faculty position at a community college or possibly a four-year college, where he could teach studio, dance criticism, etc., if he's looking for a stable job with benefits. Ballet dancers are at a real disadvantage, as they start their professional careers so young, before they can pursue a college degree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):