This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sascha Radetsky to Give ABT Farewell PerformanceJuly 3

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

And I always thought Tsiskaridze wore hair nets out of vanity blushing.gif .

#17 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

An ex-ABT ballerina, while staging a ballet for the company, once followed a dancer into the bathroom to deliver notes through the stall door. She was was known to bark—literally, like a dog—during private rehearsals. 

Ooh, anyone want to take a guess at who this can be? The list is pretty narrow ...

#18 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Anyone going tonight?  Would love to hear about Radetsky's farewell.

#19 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Anyone going tonight?  Would love to hear about Radetsky's farewell.

Ditto! Actually reflections and thoughts on any (and all) of the farewell performances will be much appreciated!

#20 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Impossible to know how much he was edited (and Vogue didn't catch a couple of errors; it's rock star and Navy SEAL), but it seems Sascha's a good writer--strong and very personal voice. I'd love it if he started a blog as our newest dance critic! I'd rather read him than... oh well, I won't name names.

#21 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Golden Idol, haha! I think most of us would agree!

Speaking of which I hope that the final three shows of Coppelia sold well and there won't be a bunch of empty seats. With the company saying goodbye to three great dancers who all in a way are part of the identity of ABT many if us know, Sascha, Yuriko, and Jared all deserve to say goodbye to from the Met stage in front of all their adoring fans. It will be interesting to see if the holiday/long weekend affects this positively or negatively.

#22 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

Impossible to know how much he was edited (and Vogue didn't catch a couple of errors; it's rock star and Navy SEAL), but it seems Sascha's a good writer--strong and very personal voice. I'd love it if he started a blog as our newest dance critic! I'd rather read him than... oh well, I won't name names.

What a fabulous idea!

I wish I could see one of the farewells but alas holiday plans. I agree - hope all 3 of them have a deserving send-off. I'm going to miss all of them and wish them much success!

#23 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

Radetsky just tweeted this six hours ago:

#radetskyrambles:

"Last show tonight @ABTBallet. Hoka-hey, let's do this!"

So it looks like he is going onstage tonight.  Hooray!  I will be there for him - lots of empty seats still available.

#24 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

An ex-ABT ballerina, while staging a ballet for the company, once followed a dancer into the bathroom to deliver notes through the stall door. She was was known to bark—literally, like a dog—during private rehearsals. 

Ooh, anyone want to take a guess at who this can be? The list is pretty narrow ...

Wouldn't we all love to know. The only names I can think of off the top of my head are Makarova, Kirkland, Sallie Wilson, and Susan Jones (if the re-staging of the Twyla piece counts). The first two on that list don't exactly seem like the warm and fuzzy types. 

#25 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Wouldn't we all love to know. The only names I can think of off the top of my head are Makarova, Kirkland, Sallie Wilson, and Susan Jones (if the re-staging of the Twyla piece counts). The first two on that list don't exactly seem like the warm and fuzzy types. 

I'm betting on Gelsey.

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

In the recent long, wonderful interview with Mathilde Froustey (in French and English via Google Translate) -- posted by pherank in the dancer's thread -- speaking about working with Makarova on her "La Bayadere," Froustey said,

Natalia Makarova not not loose as she did what she wants is a character! At first it was difficult to work with her, but on stage, when I saw the result, I understood where she was coming. She has her vision of dance and I love it. This is very different from the Opera, it's almost the opposite. She said, "Ohhh, Nureyev version Nureyev Bullshit."

(original:  Natalia Makarova ne lâche pas tant qu'elle n'a pas ce qu'elle veut, c'est un personnage ! Au début, c'était difficile de travailler avec elle, mais sur scène, lorsque je voyais le résultat, je comprenais où elle voulait arriver. Elle a sa vision de la danse et j'aime ça. C'est très différent de l'Opéra, c'est presque l'opposé. Elle disait : "Ohhh, Noureev version, Noureev Bullshit".)

So, yeah, not exactly warm and fuzzy.

Messages of congratulations from Radetsky's colleagues:

Tweet from David Hallberg:

Watching @Radetskyrambles retire from @ABTBallet tonight. A noble man and pilar ventures ahead. Bravo dear friend.

Tweet from Marcelo Gomes with link to photo on Instagram:

The team going to celebrate #sascharadetsky 's farewell tonight in #Coppelia #abtmet2014http://instagram.com

Tweet from Dance Spirit:

@ABTBallet's #sascharadetsky will take his final bow at the Met early next month. But it's not goodbye for long! http://bit.ly/1hzBiTi

#27 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Wendy Whelan posted a beautiful photo on her Instagram too. It sounded like a nice send off.

#28 onxmyxtoes

onxmyxtoes

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

somehow the orchestra went from about 1/2 sold this morning to maybe 85% sold tonight. Was a very memorable evening and Sascha looked fantastic, genuine, humble and gracious, as always.  He will be sorely missed on the Met stage!

#29 Amour

Amour

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

It was really a great send off. Everyone seemed to be there: Stella (of course, and who sat 2 seats away from us), Ethan, Gillian, Gennadi, Joaquin de Luz, Wendy Whelan, Maria Kowrowski, Gonzolo Garcia, Paloma, Isabella Boylston, Max &Irina (and their 2 daughters) and more. At the conclusion of the performance, Xiomara gave Sascha her bouquet. Then Stella came out, gave him more flowers and several kisses. Then Kevin came out and gave Sascha a flower wreath. On one side of the stage were several dancers who hadn't performed (including David Hallberg) applauding and cheering. Sascha came out on his own for a few curtain calls and seemed very touched.

As for the performance, what can you say. Coppelia is, in my opinion, not much of a ballet and Swanilda does most of the dancing. Tonight Xiomara as Swanilda was fine, did a good job with all her hops on pointe, her developpes, enveloppes, and pirouettes. However, she doesn't excite me; I've always considered her a glorified soubrette who lucked into being a principal because ABT has so many short men (Angel before, now Herman and Daniil).

As for Sascha, though Franz has almost nothing to do in this ballet (in Act 2 he basically just sits in a chair) he barely got through it. He clearly struggled partnering Xiomara in Act 3 and his timing was off in his solo. His tours were off balance (luckily there are either no pirouettes or very few) and I held my breath every time he jumped (praying he would not worsen whatever injury he has). This is not the ballet a full strength male star should retire in.

But all this performance critique is really beside the point. Tonight was about coming out to celebrate a very well liked dancer's career and the hopefully fulfilling future that awaits him. So bravo Sascha; we will miss you and hope all the best for your future.

#30 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

I guess I should have posted here instead of starting a new Coppelia thread.  Now that you mention it, I did notice him being off in his solo.  

Anyone know who was the guy on crutches during the curtain call?    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):