This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sascha Radetsky to Give ABT Farewell Performance

This was mentioned earlier on the ABT roster thread but here's the official announcement:

SASCHA RADETSKY TO GIVE FAREWELL PERFORMANCE WITH

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Final Performance Scheduled for Thursday Evening, July 3, 2014

at Metropolitan Opera House

Sascha Radetsky, a Soloist with American Ballet Theatre since 2003, will give his farewell performance with the Company on July 3 at the Metropolitan Opera House in the role of Franz in Coppélia. Radetsky will dance opposite Xiomara Reyes in the role of Swanilda.

Radetsky was born in Santa Cruz, California and began his ballet studies in the San Francisco Bay Area with Damara Bennett and Ayako Takahashi. At the age of 15, he was invited to study with Pyotor Pestov at the Bolshoi Academy in Moscow. He studied on scholarship at the Kirov Academy in Washington, D. C. under Roudolf Kharatian and Andrei Garbouz and toured with the Kirov Ballet throughout the United States and internationally. He also studied on scholarship at the summer programs of the School of American Ballet, American Ballet Theatre’s School of Classical Ballet with Mikhail Baryshnikov, the San Francisco Ballet School and the Bolshoi Ballet Academy in Vail, Colorado.

Radetsky joined American Ballet Theatre as an apprentice in 1995, became a member of the corps de ballet in 1996 and was appointed Soloist in 2003. His repertoire includes Her Prince Charming in Cinderella, Lankendem and Birbanto in Le Corsaire, Espada and Lead Gypsy in Don Quixote, Hilarion and the peasant pas de deux in Giselle, Lescaut and the Jailer in Manon, Tybalt, Paris and Benvolio in Romeo and Juliet, the Bluebird in The Sleeping Beauty, Benno and von Rothbart in Swan Lake, Camille in The Merry Widow, Iago in Othello, His Friend in The Moor’s Pavane, Orion in Sylvia, Gaston in Lady of the Camellias, the Cavalier and the Nutcracker-Prince in Kevin

McKenzie’s The Nutcracker, Petrouchka in Petrouchka, the second and third sailors in Fancy Free, the Champion Roper in Rodeo, Accordionist in The Bright Stream, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy in Company B, the Pastor in Fall River Legend, the Warrior Chieftain in Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor, Rabbit in Rabbit and Rogue, the third movement in Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1, the pas deux from Clear and leading roles in Thaïs Pas de Deux, The Brahms-Haydn Variations, In the Upper Room, Petite Mort, Études, The Leaves Are Fading, Dark Elegies, Offenbach in the Underworld, C to C: (Close to Chuck), Symphony in C, and Symphony #9, among others. His created roles include Aftereffect, From Here On Out, Glow-Stop, Gong, Troika and Thirteen Diversions.

In 2008, Radetsky joined Dutch National Ballet as a principal dancer. His repertoire included Albrecht in Giselle, Basilio in Don Quixote, Sanguinic in The Four Temperaments and The Son in Prodigal Son.

Radetsky has performed in galas and festivals around the world and as a guest principal with companies such as the Pacific Northwest Ballet, the Berlin Staatsballett, Ballet San Jose, Ballet do Theatro Municipal of Rio de Janeiro and the Mongolian State Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet. He has also appeared with troupes such as Ethan Stiefel’s Stiefel and Stars, Benjamin Millipied’s Danses Concertantes and Daniel Ulbricht’s Stars of American Ballet. In 2012, he choreographed for Bucknell University’s Department of Theatre and Dance.

Radetsky starred as Charlie in the movie Center Stage. He has written for Newsweek, Dance Magazine and Dance Spirit. He and his wife, ABT soloist Stella Abrera, were recently named repetiteurs-in-training with The Antony Tudor Ballet Trust. Radetsky will star in the Starz television series, Flesh and Bone, slated to air in 2015.

I'm impressed ABT released this for a soloist. They usually reserve retirement announcements for principals only.

And, very interesting to read that Radetsky and Abrera are "repetiteurs-in-training" w/ the Tudor Trust. That answers my question as to what else he'll be doing post-retirement.

Thanks for posting.

And, very interesting to read that Radetsky and Abrera are "repetiteurs-in-training" w/ the Tudor Trust. That answers my question as to what else he'll be doing post-retirement.

They're also going to be guest teachers at the Summer Intensive of the Colorado Ballet Academy (presumably in July after the ABT season):

http://www.coloradoballet.org/academy/summer

Tudor's Pillar of Fire has been announced for the March 2015 ABT visit to the Kennedy Center. With luck, they'll also include that in the fall 2014 season in NYC. Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner have been staging Tudor works in the past, so perhaps there is some connection there.

BTW: I read up a bit on "Flesh and Bone" on Starz. Irina Dvorovenko will also be acting in this series. It has a lot of ballet people and Ethan Stiefel will serve as the choreographer/dance consultant. Ethan and Sascha are like best buds. BTW: Sascha is very well-remembered and has higher profile outside the ballet world from his role as Charlie in "Center Stage".

Radetsky had a classroom scene that was cut from the movie, which is really too bad, but it is in the DVD outtakes.

yes, a real pity they couldn't find a way to include this scene, it's really just an extra 1:40!

It gave us a moment of pure dance in a classroom/rehearsal setting with some very familiar choreography that wasn't interrupted by camera angle changes.

ABT just sent out a Tweet with a link to a very gracious farewell essay by Sasha Radetsky, published in the new issue of Vogue magazine. I suppose with his wife continuing as a member of the company, he doesn't feel free to be as blunt as other recent departees have been:

http://www.vogue.com/culture/article/sascha-radetsky-last-rehearsal-abt-ballet-studios/#1

I also believe this is an on-going feature for Vogue as the season progresses...so while we'll probably never read anything negative per se, we should get a lot of insight. And as always, Sascha's writing is always a pleasure to read.

Pacific Northwest Ballet just tweeted:

We were lucky to have @ABTBallet soloist, Sascha Radetsky dance w/ us before his retirement: http://bit.ly/Sr1xzj

The video is a short excerpt of Radetsky and retiring PNB ballerina Kaori Nakamura in Tharp's "Brief Fling." Many of us out here more-than-half expected Radetsky to join PNB after his guest stint, the way Miranda Weese did for a couple of years at the end of her career, while she maintained a long-distance relationship with her partner. It appears not to be the case, if PNB is using the r-word.

An ex-ABT ballerina, while staging a ballet for the company, once followed a dancer into the bathroom to deliver notes through the stall door. She was was known to bark—literally, like a dog—during private rehearsals.

Ooh, anyone want to take a guess at who this can be? The list is pretty narrow ...

Impossible to know how much he was edited (and Vogue didn't catch a couple of errors; it's rock star and Navy SEAL), but it seems Sascha's a good writer--strong and very personal voice. I'd love it if he started a blog as our newest dance critic! I'd rather read him than... oh well, I won't name names.

Golden Idol, haha! I think most of us would agree!

Speaking of which I hope that the final three shows of Coppelia sold well and there won't be a bunch of empty seats. With the company saying goodbye to three great dancers who all in a way are part of the identity of ABT many if us know, Sascha, Yuriko, and Jared all deserve to say goodbye to from the Met stage in front of all their adoring fans. It will be interesting to see if the holiday/long weekend affects this positively or negatively.

Impossible to know how much he was edited (and Vogue didn't catch a couple of errors; it's rock star and Navy SEAL), but it seems Sascha's a good writer--strong and very personal voice. I'd love it if he started a blog as our newest dance critic! I'd rather read him than... oh well, I won't name names.

What a fabulous idea!

I wish I could see one of the farewells but alas holiday plans. I agree - hope all 3 of them have a deserving send-off. I'm going to miss all of them and wish them much success!

An ex-ABT ballerina, while staging a ballet for the company, once followed a dancer into the bathroom to deliver notes through the stall door. She was was known to bark—literally, like a dog—during private rehearsals.

Ooh, anyone want to take a guess at who this can be? The list is pretty narrow ...

Wouldn't we all love to know. The only names I can think of off the top of my head are Makarova, Kirkland, Sallie Wilson, and Susan Jones (if the re-staging of the Twyla piece counts). The first two on that list don't exactly seem like the warm and fuzzy types.

Wouldn't we all love to know. The only names I can think of off the top of my head are Makarova, Kirkland, Sallie Wilson, and Susan Jones (if the re-staging of the Twyla piece counts). The first two on that list don't exactly seem like the warm and fuzzy types.

I'm betting on Gelsey.