This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Encores, Sun 8 Jun @ 6:30 Honoring Kaori Nakamura

PNB has published the Encores program to its website; it is subject to change. Use this link for most up-to-date information: http://www.pnb.org/Season/13-14/Encore/

The line-up for the 2013-2014 Season Encore Performance includes:

TAKE FIVE…More or Less
Music: Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond
Choreography: Susan Stroman

Nine Sinatra Songs (excerpt: “That’s Life”)
Music: Songs sung by Frank Sinatra
Choreography: Twyla Tharp

Roméo et Juliette (excerpt: Balcony pas de deux)
Music: Sergei Prokofiev
Choreography: Jean-Christophe Maillot

Emergence
Music: Owen Belton
Choreography: Crystal Pite

Swan Lake (excerpt: Act IV pas de deux)
Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: Kent Stowell

The Sleeping Beauty (excerpt: Bluebird pas de deux)
Choreography: Ronald Hynd (after Petipa)

The Sleeping Beauty (excerpt: Rose Adagio)
Choreography: Ronald Hynd (after Petipa)

Programming subject to change.

Peter Boal kidded about delaying sending back the set and costumes for "Emergence," hoping for permission to perform it in this program, and there it is!

I'm guessing Liora Neuville will dance Princess Florine and Andrew Bartee will be featured in "Emergence." Kaori Nakamura has been featured in everything else, and, hopefully, she will beg.gif .

I imagine that we will see a pretty impressive line-up of "suitors" for Nakamura's Rose Adagio...

There are:

1. The opening with the supported developpes

2. The balances in attitude

3. The turns into supported pirouettes

4. The arabesques into penche-plie (unsupported)

5. Supported pirouettes and shoulder lift (main cavalier)

6. The curtsies to the courtiers

7. Accept rose to supported pirouette(s)

8. Supported developpes into supported pirouettes (main cavalier)

9. The turning developpes while grabbing each rose

10. Promenades in attitude and balances

11. Final supported pirouettes (main cavalier)

There could be a lot of traffic onstage.

I wonder how many costumes they have? Tuxedos would be nice, too. (Suzanne Farrell ended her career with "Sophisticated Lady" and that was a swoon-worthy group of men in tuxes.) I know it's not "La Sylphide," but it was spectacular at Thomas Lund's retirement performance when all of the men not in the cast donned kilts and were part of the crowd in his honor...

Here is the press release, sans program which is listed above:

SEATTLE, WA – The curtain comes down on Pacific Northwest Ballet’s 41st season with its annual Season Encore Performance, a crowd-pleasing reprise of some of PNB’s greatest hits. A thrilling evening of inspired repertory selections and awe-inspiring performances (including Crystal Pite’s show-stopper, Emergence), the program will feature PNB’s entire Company, along with the mighty PNB Orchestra. The Season Encore Performance will be presented one night only, Sunday, June 8 at 6:30 pm at McCaw Hall, 321 Mercer Street. Tickets may be purchased exclusively through the PNB Box Office (206.441.2424, online at PNB.org, or in person at 301 Mercer Street at Seattle Center.)

In addition to the previously-announced retirement of principal dancer Kaori Nakamura, (whose remarkable career at PNB will be celebrated with selections ranging from the Roméo et Juliette balcony pas de deux to The Sleeping Beauty’s Rose Adagio), the Season Encore Performance will be PNB’s chance to bid a fond farewell to departing corps de ballet members Andrew Bartee and Liora Neuville. Mr. Bartee joins Ballet BC this summer, and Ms. Liora has chosen to pursue a nursing degree.

The Season Encore performance will also pay tribute to retiring executive director D. David Brown.

“The annual season encore is not to be missed,” said PNB Artistic Director Peter Boal. “A one-night-only performance of highlights from the past season and other great hits, plus the opportunity to salute departing company members, make this one of the most memorable evenings of the year. Expect ovations, tears, great dancing and a few surprises as well.

“Liora Neuville has always been a standout among our ranks of stellar dancers since she arrived in Seattle almost a decade ago,” said Mr. Boal. “As part of the corps de ballet in the Waltz of Diamonds or in the Snow scene from Nutcracker, one couldn’t take their eyes off of Liora. Her exquisite use of port de bras and musical phrasing are unparalleled. Her sweetness and technique are seen on proud display as Princess Florine in The Sleeping Beauty and in dozens of other featured roles throughout our repertory. A quiet presence with a long lasting impression, Liora will be missed.”

Liora Neuville is from Paris, France. She trained on full scholarship at Pacific Northwest Ballet School from 2005 to 2007. She also participated in summer courses at the Royal Ballet School and Universal Ballet Academy, as well as a workshop at the Opera National de Bordeaux. Ms. Neuville has won both the gold medal and the Special Prize of the Jury in the Concours International de Danse Classique de Grasse in France, and was featured in A Pas de Loup, a 2005 documentary film about the 33rd Prix de Laussanne competition. Ms. Neuville joined Pacific Northwest Ballet as an apprentice in 2007 and was promoted to corps de ballet in 2008.

“My decision to leave PNB, where I have spent so many wonderful years, has been bittersweet. But I am very excited to take on this new adventure,” said Ms. Neuville. “I am particularly grateful to Second Stage [PNB’s career-transition program] for helping me further my education while dancing.”

“Andrew Bartee has been a rock star at PNB and throughout the Seattle dance scene with his uncanny ability to move with an almost non-human liquidity,” continued Mr. Boal. “Olivier Wevers, Val Caniparoli, Victor Quijada, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Twyla Tharp, Crystal Pite, Alejandro Cerrudo and Kate Wallich have all created on Andrew and marveled at his singular ability to bring choreography to life. Having watched Andrew grow up in our School and find his voice as an artist in our company, both as a choreographer and as a dancer, has been so rewarding for all of us. One suspects Andrew has only just begun.”

Andrew Bartee is from Everett, Washington. He joined Pacific Northwest Ballet School in 2003. He was the first recipient of the Flemming Halby Exchange with the Royal Danish Ballet School and a 2007 Princess Grace Award recipient. Mr. Bartee joined Pacific Northwest Ballet as an apprentice in 2008 and was promoted to corps de ballet in 2009. He originated leading roles in Alejandro Cerrudo’s Memory Glow, Marco Goecke’s Place a Chill, and Victor Quijada’s Mating Theory, and choreographed his ballet, arms that work, for the Company.

“Having been a part of PNB for over ten years, I am excited to explore new opportunities in my career,” said Mr. Bartee. “Ballet BC offers the next step for me in my growth as a dancer and choreographer.”

I imagine that we will see a pretty impressive line-up of "suitors" for Nakamura's Rose Adagio...

There could be a lot of traffic onstage.

I wonder how many costumes they have? Tuxedos would be nice, too. (Suzanne Farrell ended her career with "Sophisticated Lady" and that was a swoon-worthy group of men in tuxes.) I know it's not "La Sylphide," but it was spectacular at Thomas Lund's retirement performance when all of the men not in the cast donned kilts and were part of the crowd in his honor...

Hey, maybe we can get Utilikilt to underwrite something -- Porretta and Postelwaite wore kilts for that duet Olivier Wevers made for them.

I forgot about the kneeling -- perhaps they could wear coordinating knee pads?

I've always liked the sequence in one of the Harry Potter books where two old wizards were talking about why they don't wear pants under their robes. I can't remember the exact phrase, but it boils down to "I like a breeze."

With a heads up that this is from "The Stranger" and reflects a snarky and dismissive attitude towards ballet amidst straight reporting, there's info on Nakamura's and Reshef's retirements:

• Nakamura was going to retire last season until Peter Boal convinced her to stay for "Sleeping Beauty ", "and it's time, in her opinion, to quit while she's ahead."
  • Reshef said, "I want to leave while I still love it, before my body is broken."

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/bowing-out-when-and-why-ballet-dancers-retire/Content?oid=19671239

I'm always glad when the Stranger covers dance -- their readership is part of the demographic that the ballet has been courting for several years.

And while the tone is very much the house style, Datz hits most of the major points for this kind of article, many of them elements that most of their readers will not have considered.