This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Prix de Lausanne 2002

Natalia

This is the first big competition of the new year. As most of you know, it is quite unique in that only pre-professional students compete & the prizes are scholarships to top ballet academies around the world.

It is also unique in that the finals can be seen by anyone around the world who possesses a computer with internet access - yes, the finals are 'webcast.' It should be fun to reserve those dates &, perhaps, those of us interested can see it & 'comment' on the procedings as they go along (write our comments on this board, going back-and-forth between the two websites), as if we all were sitting together in the auditorium in lausanne. Think about it. If there's enough interest then we can 'meet' in cyberspace!

Here is the link to the competition website:

http://www.prixdelausanne.org/en/whats_up/home.asp

Click on the "LiveandPictures" subdirectory near the top of the home page to access the link to the competition films. [The link to this year's finals is not up yet but plans are to do the webcast again, for sure.] To view any of the competition films, or this year's live webcast, you will need to have RealPlayer on your computer...which can be downloaded for FREE from the Lausanne competition site. It's in the "LiveandPictures" subdirectory.

In the meantime - How about competitors? Does anybody know anyone who will be competiting? Any Americans or UK-based dancers? Other countries? Please feel free to share your insights!

- Jeannie

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

Thanks for the link & interesting news about the new Natl.BalletCanada-Prix de lausanne connection, Ottawamom!

A number of top winners from the Prix de Lausanne have gone on to train at the NBC school, haven't they? The lyrical Yuriko Kajija (now with ABT Studio Company) comes to mind. She won the top-top prize at Lausanne just two years ago. Immediately after her advanced studies at NBC academy she received the offer to join the ABT Studio Company.

- Jeannie

I'm bumping this one back up, as Prix de Lausanne is happening this week, with finals on Sunday, Feb. 3.

I notice that four American girls have entered (no boys); two Canadian boys (no girls); seven Russians (5 girls + 2 boys)...and many, many from other countries, of course. Total of 115 competitors will enter the initial round: 100 girls & only 15 boys!! Seventy semifinalists will be selected from the initial pool of 115 entries, by virtue of their classes (jury watches students-dancers go through typical class). Performances on stage happen in the semifinal & final rounds only.

Following is the schedule for the week. Any comments/insights from people-who-know-people attending the competition are welcome!

*source: prix de lausanne website*****

Sunday 27 and Monday 28 January

• Registration and general information

• Classical and contemporary lessons

Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 January

Eliminations:

• The classical and contemporary lessons will take place behind closed

doors. The final part will be devoted to the study of an enchaînement.

Its interpretation will be immediately judged by the jury.

• Selection of 70 candidates

• Rehearsal of contemporary variations with the choreographers.

Thursday 31 January and Friday 1 February

• Classical lessons and rehearsal of the variations with étoile dancers.

• On Friday morning, the candidates will present their classical

variation in rehearsal dress before the jury.

• Selection of 30 candidates

Saturday 2 February 4 PM: SEMI-FINAL

• Classical variation girls-boys

• Intermission

• Contemporary variations girls-boys.

The number of semi-finalists is limited to a maximum of 30 candidates

with at least 10 from category P (private school), as opposed to

category I (state institutions or subsidised schools)

Sunday 3 February 2.45 PM: FINAL

From 2.15 PM:

• Class on stage

• Classical variations girls-boys

• Contemporary variations girls-boys

• Free variations girls-boys

• Intermission

The number of finalists is limited to 15 candidates with at least 5

from category P.

6.00 PM:

PRIZEGIVING CEREMONY

Presentation of the awards to the prize-winners of the 2002 Prix de

Lausanne.

The final of the 30th Prix de Lausanne is broadcast by the Swiss Radio

and Television Corporation.

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

Why is it that this competition is not shown on television here? I just don't understand it. Does it all come down to advertising dollars?

There are so many people who would love to see this! I've tried looking at in on my computer but it just isn't any good...perhaps it's because I don't have a DSL line. frown.gif

I also wish that at least one ballet competition were shown on television. I remember a long time ago one was televised on PBS, with a 13-year old Katherine Healy winning the gold (can't remember which competition it was, I was very young). Does anyone know if any competitions will be on TV this year? *sigh* What would we do without PBS -- and it doesn't even broadcast much ballet anymore frown.gif

BW, I agree with you about the advertising dollars. Just wait for the Super Bowl and Olympics -- advertising melee!

linsusanr - You are thinking about the 1982 Jackson, Mississippi competition (Jackson IBC). It even had as emcee, of all people, Dick Button (famous ABC-TV skating commentator & Olympic gold medalist...you either love him or leave him...). Kathy Healy won the silver medal, jr division, at 1982 Jackson. The following year, she topped that by winning the gold medal at Varna. She was principal of Vienna State Opera Ballet before retiring in the mid-90s (she was 26 or 27) & married a famous figure skating coach soon after.

The Jackson IBC takes place once again this June 2002. The final gala is usually broadcasted over Mississippi Public TV.

Almost all of the competitions that I have attended -- or read about -- are broadcasted within the host country, to some degree or another (Varna IBC is shown on Bulgarian TV, Moscow IBC is shown on Kultura, Shanghai IBC's full final round + gala were shown on CCTV, etc.). Not so with America's big IBC competition. Heaven forbid that it would take air-space away from such popular PBS offerings like 'Antiques Road Show,' or 'You Too Can Become a Millionaire with Suzie Orman' (or whatever the heck her name is).

Wow, Jeannie, thanks for the clarification and details! I remember wishing Dick Button would just leave! I'm in California, so I guess I won't hope for any broadcasting of the Jackson competition ... But I can hope, can't I?

As for Ms. Healy, I didn't realize that she retired so early. I do remember her wonderful appearance in one of the Vienna New Year's Concerts a few years ago where she danced a Josef Strauss Polka Mazurka. She was gorgeous in that one, and I was glad to see her dance.

Round One ended yesterday & Round Two commences today. The following information is from a 'secret agent' who is following the Lausanne happenings for me:

Only 1 American( Ginger Smith) Made it to the 2nd round of the Prix

de Lausaunne. Don't know anything about her. The list [of Round Two qualifiers) is dominated w/ Japanese and Korean dancers.

Too bad for the Americans. Anybody know of/about Ms Smith? That's quite an accomplishment, especially against brilliant dancers from Asia...the continent of multiple-medalists in these competitions. Japan & Korea -- along with China -- are taking the ballet competition world (& plain-ols-ballet-world) by storm; no surprise that it would be the same here!

Ginger Smith is an extremely talented young girl from Phoenix, Arizona area. I know two years ago she won the junior Grand Prix for Youth America. She is a real beauty. We offered her a scholarship maybe 4 years ago, but she stayed home to study. She was working with the same teacher as David Hallenburg ( I think is his name, the boy who was in ABT Studio and now the company). The teacher is a very gifted man, but unforunately I cannot remember his name. He is Asian. Obviously she has done well. Go Ginger!

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: vrsfanatic ]

Thanks, bhough! You see what happens when I'm out of town & skip a Kirov Acad concert. Is there any end to the pool of talent at that place?

I wonder if Hyo Jun Kang is related to Yena Kang (of ABT corps, who graduated Kirov Acad a year or two before Michele Wiles)?

Following are the 15 dancers who advanced to tomorrow's final round. Hey-hey...Ginger Smith + the two Kirov Acad students (Golding & Kang) are still in it!!!! Way to go!!!!! smile.gif

Not just an Asian sweep thus far...six of the 15 finalists are from former-USSR. The two North Americans. But no Western Europe???!!! By the way, I remember both Milena Sidorova (Ukraine) & Maria Kochetkova (Russia) from last summer's Moscow IBCs that I attended - Sidorova was a stand-out in contemporary with a clever pillow dance (I'll have to check my program notes...both Kochetkova & Sidorova won bronze medals in Moscow).

Remember - the finals will be WEBCAST LIVE, in their entirety, tomorrow (Sunday, Feb 3), beginning at 2:45 pm Lausanne, Switzerland time...that's six hrs ahead of Eastern USA time (8:45 am Washington DC, for example). You need to have RealPlayer installed in your computer, which you can download for free in its basic version. There is a link to the download of RealPlayer in the Prix de Lausanne website itself, at the bottom of the 'Live Webcasts' page.

LIST OF FINALISTS:

****source: Prix de Lausanne website****

003 Milena Sidorova, Ukraine

005 Hitomi Takeda, Japon

019 Soo-Youn Cho, Corée

033 Yurie Matsuura, Japon

035 Sang Yi Han, Corée

038 Seo-yeon Yu, Corée

053 Hyo Jung Kang, Corée

070 Yuhui Choe, Corée

077 Ginger Smith, USA

093 Maria Kotchetkova, Russie

109 Maksat Koubanychbek, Kirghizistan

111 Matthew Golding, Canada

116 Arman Grigoryan, Arménie

118 Vitali Safronkine, Russie

123 Dinu Tamazlacaru, Moldavie

Who will win the top prizes tomorrow. Ooooo...can't wait to find out.

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

It's on now. I joined it about 15 minutes in progress & saw a wonderful guy dance DON Q, the Moldovan, Dinu Tamazlacaru...and brought down the house! Yuhui Choe - a Korean female - is about to go on in Raymonda dream var. And they show 'em backstage after each variation, too, hugging coaches, etc.The thrill of victory...the agony of defeat. This is so cool. Join me, please!

Well...as it appears that I may be the only nut who got up early to watch this, I'll go out on the limb. Three numbers were performed this final round by each finalist: classical, madatory contemporary (from solos learned this past week) & 'free round' (either a classical or contemporary solo of competitor's own choosing..almost all chose contemporary for this 3rd number). Stand outs for me:

Among men, Dinu of Moldova has an awesome technique, nice line & total-charisma. Audience seemed to really be with him. Matt of Canada really did himself well with the 3rd number, a contemporary piece titled 'Odyssey.' Was OK in earlier 'Corsaire'...I love his positions but seems a bit youngish (not so muscular as other 4 guys remaining in competition). All in all, I see Matt just behind the Moldovan, who is the stand-out among men for me. Of course, one can't count out the Russian lad, Vitali, for one of the top spots, due to the passion with which he performed his 3rd number...but I prefer Dinu's & Matt's lines.

Among women....well, the two gals who I saw in Moscow IBC last year are neck-to-neck for top honors. I give the zippy spitfire Maria Kochetkova of Moscow (Bolshoi school) the edge after a SPECTACULAR Kitri Act I variation!!!!! As at th Moscow IBC, Milena Sidorova of Ukraine -- all-legs, pliant body - hair down to her knees -- was queen of the contemporary numbers...but didn't impress me so much in her initial classical variation. She is big, tall, powerful, danced her 3rd number with the force of a man (although she is slim). If contemporary talent outweighs the 'overall picture' then Milena could win Grand Priz. Let's see. The other stand-outs were Korea's Seo-Yeun Yu -- tall, slender, gorgeous, dances like liquid gold, esp in 3rd number, contemporary 'Pavane.' I saw the USA's lone finalist, Ginger Smith in the 2nd & 3rd numbers - she was lovely in 2nd (contemporary mandatory) but seemed to lack the Kitri Fire in 3rd number...especially when compared to Russia's Maria Kochetkova. Just a matter of style; Ginger still has a chance to win a prize. I also like Ms. Kang of Korea in her 3rd number, Igor Belsky's 'Carmen,' performed with the right attitude & sexy long lines. Yuhui Choe of Korea was yet another stunner...gee, hard to decide. Good luck, judges...and competitors, of course!

So I stuck out my neck. Let's see what happens!! Prizes to be announced at 12 noon, Washington, DC time (18:05 in Lausanne-time). Not sure if I'll be able to tune in 'cause I have other things to do but I will definitely post results.

I'm sorry I missed it -- I just logged on, but it was over. I just don't have any free time this week. Webcasts are a great idea, though! More in the future.

Thanks for posting all the news, Jeannie. I think this forum is turning out to be both useful and fun smile.gif

Congratulations to Ukraine's Milena Sidorova, who took to top-top prize!!! Ochien kharasho!!! Matthew Golding and Maria Kochetkova also took high prizes. I couldn't hear all of the proceedings well so I'll wait to post the official list, once it is up on the Prix de L site. One of the Korean girls (San Yu Han, I think...) also won one of the highest prizes.

More later. Anyone who heard all of the results...feel free to post it.

Gotta run...work...

I, too, watched the prize ceremony. I didn't have sound for most of it, so I had no idea what the woman (forgot her name) was saying. I could only hear what the man was saying - and he used a term I couldn't find in my French dictionary (Yes, I keep one by my computer) - it sounded like "sagie" - but that could be the poor sound quality. Could someone French please help? confused.gif

Here's the full list of awards. Note that Milena Sidorova won not only one of the top prizes (scholarship) but also the TV Viewers Choice Award! And special 'congrats' to Matthew Golding of Canada -- top North American at this competition), also a scholarship winner...makethat TWO scholarships for Kirov Academy entries -- both Matthew and Korea's Hyo-Jun Kang!!! Likewise, big 'congrats' to Ginger Smith of the USA, who copped an 'Encouragement Prize.'

Whew...I think I'm getting pretty good a picking these winners, eh? wink.gif On to the next competitions - Nagoya, Japan, in mid-February and Nureyev Prix-Budapest in mid-March. I might be 'live' in Budapest if my next work-related trip to Europe is scheduled correctly.

LIST OF PRIZE WINNERS

****source Prix de Lausanne website

Winners

(070) Ms Yuhui CHOE, Korea

Mayumi Ballet School, Japan

Centre d'art chorégraphique franco-japonais, France

Prize provided by: The main sponsor of the Prix de Lausanne : Beau-Rivage Palace

(111) Mr Matthew GOLDING, Canada

Sitter School of Dance, Canada

The Kirov Academy of Ballet, Washington, USA

Prize provided by: Fondation Antoine Leenaards

(093) Ms Maria KOTCHETKOVA, Russia

Ecole du Bolshoï, Moscow, Russia

Prize provided by : UBS SA

(123) Mr Dinu TAMAZLACARU, Moldavia

Ecole de Ballet de Chisinou, Moldavia

Conservatoire de Vienne, Austria

Prize provided by: Capital International

(109) Mr Maksat KOUBANYCHBEK, Kirghizistan

Ecole chorégraphique de Bichkek, Kirghizistan

Prize provided by: The Marina Kleinwort Trust

(003) Ms Milena SIDOROVA, Ukraine

Ecole chorégraphique de Kiev, Ukraine

Prize provided by: Fondation Harafi

(019) Ms Soo-Youn CHO, Korea

SunHwa Arts High School, Seoul, Korea

Prize provided by: Donatrice anonyme

(053) Ms Hyo Jung KANG, Korea

The Kirov Academy of Ballet, Washington, USA

Prize provided by: Cartier

PRIX DE LAUSANNE "HOPE"

Winner

(005) Ms Hitomi TAKEDA, Japan

Hakucho Ballet Academy, Nagano, Japan

Prize provided by: Fondation Notaire André Rochat

"CONTEMPORARY DANCE PRIZE"

Winner

(070) Ms Yuhui CHOE, Korea

Mayumi Ballet School, Japan

Centre d'art chorégraphique franco-japonais, France

Prize provided by: Fondation Nestlé pour l'Art

PRIX DE lAUSANNE "BEST SWISS CANDIDATE"

Winner

(014) Ms Carrie-Ann VAIL, Switzerland

Priska's Ballett und Tanz Atelier

Opernhausballettschule, Zurich

Prize provided by: Fondation Antoine Leenaards

In addition, 1000.- Swiss francs to encourage the candidates have been given by BOBST SA to:

Finalists

(116) Mr Arman GRIGORYAN, Armenia

Ecole de Ballet de Yerevan, Armenia

Haïfa Ballet School, Israel

(035) Ms Sang Yi HAN, Korea

Yewon School,

Seoul Art High School, Korea

(118) Mr Vitali SAFRONKINE, Russia

Ecole de Ballet d'Oufa, Russia

Schweizerisches Ballettberufsschule, Zurich, Switzerland

(033) Ms Yurie MATSUURA, Japan

Kurosawa Tomoko Ballet Studio, Iwate, Japan

(038) Ms Seo-yeon Yu, Korea

Yewon School Arts School

SunHwa Arts High School, Seoul, Korea

(077) Ms Ginger SMITH, USA

Arizona Ballet School, USA

"VIEWERS' PRIZE"

Winner

(003) Ms Milena SIDOROVA, Ukraine

Ecole chorégraphique de Kiev, Ukraine

Prize provided by: Télévision Suisse Romande

Special message for Felursus :the man was saying "il s'agit de:"and that means approximately "speaking about",or" that means ",or "we are mentionning" I hope I succeeded in translating !as you didn't hear what the lady was first talking aboutthe students without naming them ,saying: Coming from the bolshoî or the Nagano school of ballet a student who......then the man had in charge to mention the name.

We know who won the one-year scholarships & prize money for living expenses but do we know what schools have been selected by the winners? The choice is up to each winning dancer & they can select among the schools affiliated with NYCB (SAB), England & Denmark's Royal Ballets, the Vaganova Academy, Vienna, National Ballet of Canada school, etc. I can picture Milena Sidorova of Ukraine at SAB - she's a long-legged colt who is not afraid to take risks. Very powerful in every sense of the word. I thought of Balanchine as I saw her at last year's Moscow IBC. Not your typical Petipa Porcelain Princess!

The press releases from Lausanne provide no clues. Then again, perhaps the winners are still deciding where they will go.

One other thing - the press releases make no mention of 'Apprentice Scholarships' being awarded this year. Perhaps the jury was not convinced that any of the dancers is ready for professional life just yet? All of the prizes awarded in 2002 are traditional 'Scholarships,' rather than 'Apprentice Scholarships.' [Last year, one dancer won the apprentice variety of scholarship - Ludovic Ondiviela. It doesn't happen too often.]

[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]