This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Spring Season 2014

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#106 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

I went last night also.

The cables failed to lift Puck - did anyone realize this?  in the end, he was supposed to levitate and 'sing', but the cables drooped around him instead.  Troy Schumacher just played it up as if nothing was wrong, as well as the other butterflies surrounding him. happy.png

I did. I thought Schumacher handled it well -- if you didn't know he was supposed to soar up into the air, you wouldn't have noticed anything was amiss at all. But I missed seeing him do it all the same! 

#107 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

Speaking of standouts and elegance: I thought Olivia Boisson looked particularly aristocratic in Titania's retinue. Some of the other women got a bit swoopy -- Whee! All this chiffon! --  but her lines were always firmly elegant and her carriage beyond reproach. She was a standout in the Melancholic section of 4T's too -- she released her big, silky battements right on the music and without the least disruption to her torso. I hope we get to see more of her.

Troy Schumacher is my favorite among the current crop of Pucks. He doesn't have Ulbricht's level of bravura technique (who does?), but he's got more than enough for the role, and I find his unfussy and mischievous but sweet-tempered characterization delightful.

Kathleen, it's funny you single out Olivia Boisson in 4T's, because I also noticed her -- several times! I couldn't quite figure out what made her stand out. Thanks for the analysis. 

I also love Schumacher as Puck and similar roles (like the Jester in Swan Lake). He has a relaxed charm and connects beautifully to the audience. I find Ulbricht too stiff. 

I couldn't quite figure out why Puck didn't levitate the other night, but I had the impression the butterflies were trying to quickly hook him up and couldn't quite get it done in time. 

The new costumes are brilliant -- and I mean that literally. The colors, and Oberon's allover golden glow, seem to radiate all the way up to the fourth ring. The article in last week's New York Times was accompanied by some lovely photos that show the care and detail that went into the construction.  

#108 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:30 PM

Did anyone see Gina Pazcoguin as Hippolyta?  I've always been a fan of Gina's but never thought of her as being cast in this.  

#109 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

I believe her debut is tonight. I'll report back. She has been so woefully underused that I've wondered if she was injured. Why did they promote her to soloist if they were going to use her so little?

#110 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

She danced tonight; I thought she had an authoritative presence in the role.

#111 cobweb

cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

Georgina Pazcoguin leapt onto the stage with commanding authority as Hippolyta last night. Shrouded in fog, a brilliant, billowing orange cape, a huge helmet, and holding a large golden bow, the not-tall Pazcoguin nonetheless dominated the scene with her strong presence. Her grand jetes were large and her fouettes had a marvelously springy quality. I don't know why she isn't used more! She seems relegated to "hot tamale" roles, when she seems capable of so much more. 
I saw three Oberons: veyette, Carmena, and de Luz. Advantage: de Luz! Razor-sharp and full of sweeping amplitude. 

#112 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Georgina Pazcoguin leapt onto the stage with commanding authority as Hippolyta last night. Shrouded in fog, a brilliant, billowing orange cape, a huge helmet, and holding a large golden bow, the not-tall Pazcoguin nonetheless dominated the scene with her strong presence. Her grand jetes were large and her fouettes had a marvelously springy quality. I don't know why she isn't used more! She seems relegated to "hot tamale" roles, when she seems capable of so much more. 

Thank you Cobweb for that report.  I'm happy to hear Gina P. did well.  I too wish she was used in more.  Maybe this is the start.

#113 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:03 AM

Happiness is watching Maria K. dance Titania. 

#114 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

I was at the last performance of the season. I thought Reichlen has grown so much in the role. When I first saw her do it she was beautiful but too cool and remote. Now she's sexier and funnier. Another standout was Troy Schumacher as Puck. Absolutely amazing, charismatic performance. I usually worship at the throne of Ashley Bouder but I found her a bit miscast in the second act divertissement. She has a habit of turning her head towards the audience too much when she dances -- this is wonderful for the bravura pieces, but when it's a romantic reverie like the second act pas de deux it looks like mugging. Overall, great show. 

#115 Razor

Razor

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hope for more roles for Gina - she's been put aside a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):