• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

Two principal dancers will be retiring at the end of the 2014 season:  Damian Smith and Rubén Martín Cintas.  Smith’s retirement had been announced previously, but Martín Cintas is a bit of a surprise (to me, anyway).  That's three male principals gone in two years (Pierre-Francois Villanoba retired at the end of last season).  

Now the speculation begins:  who will replace them?

Only subscribers can access the page right now, but here’s an excerpt from the subscriber email:

JUST ANNOUNCED!

Special Farewell Performance—one night only!

Sun, May 11, 7pm

Join us as we celebrate the careers of Principal Dancers Rubén Martín Cintas and Damian Smith in their final performance with SF Ballet. Don’t miss this special program showcasing the extraordinary artistry of two of the Company’s most beloved dancers. Programming for the evening will be announced soon—this will be a performance that ballet fans will not want to miss

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

:(

#3 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

PeggyR- Did the email about the May 11 farewell performance say when tickets would be available for non-subscribers?

#4 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

PeggyR- Did the email about the May 11 farewell performance say when tickets would be available for non-subscribers?

Sorry about that!  Here's the entire email.

JUST ANNOUNCED!
Special Farewell Performance—one night only!
Sun, May 11, 7pm

Join us as we celebrate the careers of Principal Dancers Rubén Martín Cintas and Damian Smith in their final performance with SF Ballet. Don’t miss this special program showcasing the extraordinary artistry of two of the Company’s most beloved dancers. Programming for the evening will be announced soon—this will be a performance that ballet fans will not want to miss! 

Special Access for Subscribers
As a subscriber, you're a special part of the SF Ballet family, so we’re giving you advance notice of this performance, and exclusive access to tickets at a discounted subscriber rate before they go on sale to the general public Thursday, April 24. 

Learn more about Rubén Martín Cintas and view performance excerpts.

Learn more about Damian Smith and view performance excerpts.

Online: https://www.sfballet.org/farewell

Subscribers must login to receive access and special subscriber pricing for this performance

Phone: 415.865.2000

Monday through Friday, 10am to 4pm

#5 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Thank you, PeggyR!!

#6 PeggyTulle

PeggyTulle

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

Intersesting that the text says "Farewell" and not "Retire." I'm assuming that Ruben is retiring, as he's been dancing a lot less technically demanding roles the past year or two.... And here I thought Gennadi or Pascal would be the next principal men to retire.

#7 Terez

Terez

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

Was so shocked to hear Ruben Martin Cintas was retiring. That, on top of Damian Smith leaving - ouch! Yes, PeggyTulle, agreed on your comments, and there's Joan Boada, too. He's been there a long, long time. 

I soooooo wish I could go to that Sunday 7p performance, but the schedule just won't allow it (and I've got tix for Ballet San Jose the night before). I went to Program 7 last night and I have to admit, there were tears in my eyes as I watched Damian and YY in their Fifth Season pas de deux. Will so miss that pairing.

So glad to see this post, Peggy, after just hearing the news about Cintas retiring as well, and wanting more info.

#8 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Program and casts for the farewell performance:

SUNDAY, MAY11—7:00PM—SPECIAL FAREWELL PERFORMANCE

Excerpts from THE FIFTH SEASON
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Composer: Karl Jenkins
Conductor: Martin West

Frances Chung, Davit Karapetyan
Mathilde Froustey, Davit Karapetyan, Ruben Martin Cintas, Damian Smith
Yuan Yuan Tan, Damian Smith

VARIATIONS FOR TWO COUPLES
Choreographer: Hans van Manen
Composers: Benjamin Britten, Einojuhani Rautavaara, Stefan Kovács Tickmayer, Aster Piazzolla

Sofiane Sylve, Luke Ingham
Sarah Van Patten, Carlos Quenedit*

“THE MAN I LOVE” from WHO CARES?
Choreography: George Balanchine
Music and Lyrics: George and Ira Gershwin, arranged by Hershey Kay

Simone Messmer, Ruben Martin Cintas

Pas de Deux from AFTER THE RAIN
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon
Composer: Arvo Pärt

Yuan Yuan Tan, Damian Smith

INTERMISSION

VIDEO PRESENTATION

IN THE NIGHT
Choreographer: Jerome Robbins
Composer: Frédéric Chopin

Dores Andre, Ruben Martin Cintas
Sofiane Sylve, Tiit Helimets
Lorena Feijoo, Damian Smith

#9 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Relating to the retirement of Damien Smith:

Former SFB Principal Dancer Muriel Maffre Announces Project with Damian Smith

Over the course of his final few weeks with San Francisco Ballet, Smith is creating tangible and permanent records of his work at the barre in the form of action drawings on cotton paper and canvas.

#10 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

According to Alan Ulrich in his SFGate review of the farewell performance yesterday, Simone Messmer will not be returning to SFB next year.

#11 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

According to Alan Ulrich in his SFGate review of the farewell performance yesterday, Simone Messmer will not be returning to SFB next year.

Oh no!!! I wonder what happened. She's made a lot of fans in her short time here. Very sad/bad news. Now for Froustey's decision.

#12 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

That IS disappointing, and it's impossible to know what prompted the decision to go/return. She may simply prefer to be in the North East. It wasn't for lack of opportunities - she was given as many roles as any of the other soloists. And let's face it, she got good press for her dancing. But maybe she has been lured back by an offer she couldn't refuse?

If both Messmer and Froustey leave it will be a quite a bummer - it will weigh heavily on Tomasson, but I won't be suprised if the dancers' reasons for leaving have little to do with SFB company management.

#13 Eshana

Eshana

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

I think perhaps Messmer just missed life on the East Coast too much.

I don't think Froustey will leave, at least not for the next season.

#14 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,986 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:21 PM

Froustey is on a one-year sabbatical from Paris Opera Ballet.  Her decision to leave or stay has significant financial as well as career ramifications.

#15 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

What we do know from interviews: Messmer wanted specifically to be a principal, and Tomasson didn't have that position available (I would think especially with the hiring of Froustey), and if in the end-of-season interview he said that matters remained the same, she may have decided that she would try her luck back on the East Coast. The details will no doubt leak out at some point.

Frosutey's situation is much more complicated: she has made friends in SF, I think she likes the company, but she's still (naturally) drawn to Paris and the POB. If she were able to dance part-time for POB too, then she might stay in SF during much of the regular season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):