This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

flowers

Reading the thread on the Miami City Don Q after coming home from Pacific Northwest Ballet's run of Midsummer Night's Dream this weekend, I realized that it's been ages since we did flowers at a curtain call here. There were plenty of flowers in the house, destined for the young dancers who were 'bugs' in the performance, but not much I could see heading for adult dancers, and none were delivered during the curtain calls.

I know it's an expense that some companies have chosen to forgo -- I'm wondering if we could have an informal survey here. Does your home company regularly do flowers at curtain?

I sort of like the Russian way where the flowers actually come from the fans. Of course, there are pros and cons to both ways of doing it.

I know that in some companies, dancers have sent each other flowers, for various accomplishments. I thought that was particularly sweet.

(I originally thought you were just referring to tossing flowers over the pit at the end of the performance, which has the added possibility of a tulip on the head...)

I sort of like the Russian way where the flowers actually come from the fans. Of course, there are pros and cons to both ways of doing it.

I know that in some companies, dancers have sent each other flowers, for various accomplishments. I thought that was particularly sweet.

(I originally thought you were just referring to tossing flowers over the pit at the end of the performance, which has the added possibility of a tulip on the head...)

I think at the Mariinsky you are supposed to give the flowers to an usher or the backstage area (drop off) and tell them (or have a card) who is to receive it.

I don't think it is allowed to bring the flowers into the auditorium and toss them at the Mariinsky. Maybe it was allowed at one time, but I don't think it usually happens now, but I could be wrong. Rules are meant to be broken! LOL

I have seen in the U.S. people going up to the stage and handing or tossing flowers or torn up programs (for confetti), so I am sure tulips or roses can land on heads! LOL I read that Maria Callas once picked up radishes some disgruntled fan threw up onto the stage, and she sniffed them and threw them into the pit. She was near sighted so thought they were roses at first without her glasses (which she wore off-stage), but she was always quick to deal with anything that came her way, it seems.

I also witnessed first hand a young fan give Kathleen Battle flowers, and she refused to take them until he removed the plastic around them. In fact, if I remember correctly, she made a big show telling him and showing him to remove the plastic before she finally accepted them with a smile. I felt sorry for that particular fan standing there while she taught him etiquette while using bad etiquette (correcting someone publicly).

I would think receiving flowers from actual fans would be more meaningful to a ballerina than flowers purchased and given by the company. But I don't think I would complain where I got them either!!! LOL

I've sent flowers backstage to favorites of mine, usually via a fellow dancer or whoever I see passing by on the way. I have also witnessed bouquets being distributed among friends from a particular source close to a leading lady to be then tossed onstage-(not at MCB though). I would had understood the lack of flowers in a mix rep. night, but in a war horse ballet, on a Saturday night, and on someone who nicely replaced a fellow dancer...? No excuses.

I think at the Mariinsky you are supposed to give the flowers to an usher or the backstage area (drop off) and tell them (or have a card) who is to receive it.

I don't think it is allowed to bring the flowers into the auditorium and toss them at the Mariinsky. Maybe it was allowed at one time, but I don't think it usually happens now, but I could be wrong. Rules are meant to be broken! LOL ..."

You're right; the current procedure is to give flowers with cards attached to a backstage usher and he/she will present it to the performer. In Soviet times, you could do this and you could toss them onto the stage, (sometimes during a performance), and at curtain calls. I remember one "Giselle" from that era with Galina Mezentseva. After her Act 1 solo, someone tossed a large bouquet (as in armful) of daisies at her feet.

I've noticed in the ABT playbill that ABT thanks a particular flower shop for providing the flowers at curtain calls.

NYCB doesn't generally do flowers at curtain calls. They do lots of flowers at farewells, though. If you're a NYCB audience member they won't let you into the theater with flowers. They require you to leave your flowers in the lobby under the care of an usher and retrieve them at the end of the performance on your way out.

I've noticed in the ABT playbill that ABT thanks a particular flower shop for providing the flowers at curtain calls.

NYCB doesn't generally do flowers at curtain calls. They do lots of flowers at farewells, though. If you're a NYCB audience member they won't let you into the theater with flowers. They require you to leave your flowers in the lobby under the care of an usher and retrieve them at the end of the performance on your way out.

I suppose we could take flowers to the coat check room -- do you suppose they could have those big buckets of water you see at the shop where you bought them? Flower parking, like stroller parking?

We have those 'tear off one' packages of plastic umbrella bags next to all the doors here at McCaw Hall (where PNB performs) - I've never seen anyone take one for their bouquet, but I suppose they could do double duty.

When the school does its annual show, they arrange with a local florist for parents and friends to pre-order flowers they can pick up in the lobby on the day of the show. This makes for tables and tables full of flowers -- it's a spectacular effect.