23 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

The Met is further along on the learning curve, but it still leans heavily toward the least adventurous of its programming, "The Nose" being an exception to the rule.  Glass operas have proven serendipitous.  No "Wozzeck," no "From the House of the Dead," Chereau's last and one of the most lauded Met productions, and, next season, no "Rake's Progress."  We get "Bluebeard's Castle," but it's on a double bill with Tchaikovsky's Iolanthe for Anna Netrebko.

Since the Met also seems to take into consideration what DVD's they can sell from the series, next year, no Eva-Maria Westbroek in her greatest role, Katerina Ismailova in "Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk."  There's already a DVD with her in it from Nederlands Oper.  However, it is getting to the point where they're doing repeats -- Tosca, Carmen, Eugene Onegin -- due to the large number of productions they show on HD.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

Grigorovich Overload indeed. It's bad enough that all of the ballets that the Bolshoi is presenting on the upcoming US tour are by YG except for DON Q (which has already be presented to death in the US in the past 10 years). It's telling that the Bolshoi is coming to Washington, DC with its heavy-Grigorovich Giselle, of all things, and I do not care to attend. I have better things to do with my money.

#18 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Do you all think the Bolshoi's modern ballets would not sell well to the western? 

They were putting The Golden Age in HD broadcast schedule of last season, then canceled and replaced it. I was hoping to see it in the coming season. I also like to see a new composition of dancers for The Bright Stream

I saw the complete ballet The Golden Age (2007) on youtube, I like it very much. It is mostly about the love story of Boris and Rita - no need to think about Soviet, and blah, blah, … There are many innovative movements in four duets danced by Boris & Rita, very beautiful. I love to see them on HD screen.

I feel very disappointed there is no major modern ballets from Bolshoi in their next season's HD broadcasting. 

Even no more Ratmansky's ballet?!

wub.png 

#19 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

This is like a serious question. Are the Grigorovuch productions really that popular in Moscow? I can understand Spartacus in all it's Soviet superman glory but do balletomanes really eat up his Swan Lake (with the weird Evil Genius and odd musical arrangements) or Giselle (which makes nonsense of much of the first act's dramaturgy)?

#20 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

This is like a serious question. Are the Grigorovuch productions really that popular in Moscow? I can understand Spartacus in all it's Soviet superman glory but do balletomanes really eat up his Swan Lake (with the weird Evil Genius and odd musical arrangements) or Giselle (which makes nonsense of much of the first act's dramaturgy)?

Grigorovich is considered to be the 'Grand Master Choreographer of Soviet Ballet' (my words); so yes, he is still very popular.  He was Bolshoi Artistic Director and Choreographer-in-Chief from 1964 - 1995.  The Moscow International Ballet competition was established by him in 1969, and that's just one of the competitions where he's a jurist.  He was and is still revered and influential, and I daresay will be long after he's gone. 

The Mariinsky reveres the memory of Konstantin Sergeyev and they haven't altered, or removed any of his Petipa productions.  The Bolshoi will (probably) do the same with Grigorovich's Petipa redactions and repertory. For example, Filin wanted to mount the 1899 reconstruction of the Bolshoi premiere of "Sleeping Beauty" in 2011 to celebrate the reopening of the Theatre.  The management reproduced Grigorovich's 1973 production with "new" designs by the same team that brought us La Scala's and POB's current designs. 

Grigororvich's work received the highest State honors.  For me, he always seemed more of a stage producer (i.e.Broadway), than a choreographer of steps.  I think he was the most successful at combining ideology with acrobatics and bombastic effects, more than his Soviet contemporaries.  IMO all of these elements came together in "Spartacus" and to a lesser extent, "Ivan the Terrible."

#21 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Grigorovich's Swan Lake is extremely popular in Moscow. Like Spartacus and The Nutcracker, Swan Lake tickets fetch the highest price (12,000 RUB), and they sell out the instant they go on sale. But I suspect that would be true of just about any production of Swan Lake, as long as it had more-or-less traditional white acts and a 'black swan' pas de deux. From my point of view, Grigorovich's Nutcracker is more dreadful than his Swan Lake, but evidently Muscovites are willing to pay through the nose to see it.

The Bolshoi's simple problem is that it ran out of full-length ballets, and after La Bayadère it had shown all the 19th-century classics in its repertoire. Having filmed the productions that made the Ratmansky and Burlaka periods so interesting--Coppelia, Esmeralda, Le Corsaire, Ratmansky's own ballets--we are now left with the Soviet dregs, and it gives the appearance that the company has entered a period of stagnation and succumbed to a reactionary aesthetic: the Revenge of Grigorovich. I'm not saying that's actually the case, but it's the impression this lineup creates.

A film of Onegin was never likely to happen. John Neumeier is not adverse to having his ballets filmed, but perhaps he would rather the Bolshoi's dancers develop their roles more before putting The Lady of the Camellias before the cameras. The Bolshoi could have revived some of the productions it hasn't performed since before the main theater closed for renovations, such as Petit's Notre-Dame de Paris or Neumeier's A Midsummer Night's Dream. And somebody could start presenting mixed bills, for crying out loud. But unfortunately I think they've opted for the worst possible solution.

If the company was finally forced to begin repeating repertoire, I suppose it's inevitable that they would have started with The Nutcracker and Swan Lake. Of all of Grigorovich's ballets, I find Legend of Love the least bothersome. But Ivan the Terrible is just plain, well, awful.

#22 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

I echo volcanohunter's view, and will probably only pay to see Legend of Love.  

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

Well this is interesting. Next season the Bolshoi will be presented in the U.S. by Fathom Events, which presented the Royal Ballet last season. It could present both companies, of course, as is the practice in Canada, but Royal Ballet screenings have not yet been scheduled. (The Metropolitan Opera has not yet been listed either, so this omission does not necessarily mean anything.)

October 26 - Legend of Love

December 21 - The Nutcracker

January 25 - Swan Lake

March 8 - Romeo & Juliet (repeat)

http://www.fathomeve...-2014-15-season

#24 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

Both the Bolshoi and the Royal are scheduled to show Swan Lake as one of their broadcasts. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):