This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

No. Fathom Events has not scheduled the repeat screenings of The Pharaoh's Daughter or La Bayadère. It will show the repeat of Romeo and Juliet, but not the live Ivan the Terrible. On the other hand, the Royal Ballet's four live screenings will be supplemented by last season's The Winter's Tale.

The total number of cinemas showing the Metropolitan Opera is greater than the number of cinemas screening ballets. And not all participating cinemas are showing both ballet companies. Some are screening one company, but not the other.

You can find a list of cinemas showing a particular "event" by clicking on the gray "more info" button and then selecting "theater locations."

I came away so puzzled that this ballet is so honored. The choreography showed off the strength of the men and the suppleness of the women--Maria Allash was powerful. Would love to see her in something else. But the music? the pasties over the leotards? and the dance I remember as the "pony"!

Well, I absolutely loved this screening.

I thought Maria Allash performed at the level of great art (not just the dancing). I liked the music (made me think of Shostakovich). The story was compelling, and the stagecraft (costumes and alike) a treat for the eyes. Grigorovich's choreography I found fascinating; was it the best choreography I've seen? No, but fascinating none the less (very reminiscent of Malliot IMO). He created powerful renditions of emotions.

Was it the greatest thing ever? No, but for my $18 and an afternoon, I'd do it again in a heart beat. (And it's certainly easier and cheaper than flying to Moscow or to the east coast.....which is about the only other ways I will ever see the Bolshoi -- living here in Seattle as I do!)

Should the casting be decided by the choreographer Grigorovich? Grigorovich seems to be really quite fond of Rodkin. Guess that Rodkin would be Siegfried in next Bolshoi's HD Swan Lake, if D. Hallberg could not recover from injuries soon.

Last summer I saw D. Rodkin in S.W., D.Q. and Spartacus. He is pretty good. If Bolshoi would call Tsiskaridze back to coach Rodkin as The Nutcracker-Prince, that would be something to watch.

yahoo.gif

If Bolshoi would call Tsiskaridze back to coach Rodkin as The Nutcracker-Prince, that would be something to watch.

This is never, ever likely to happen as long as Sergei Filin is director of the company. There are a couple of prevailing theories in the Russian dance press about the huge, almost unseemly push Rodkin has received recently. One is that Filin wants to prove to Tsiskaridze that Rodkin can excel without his former teacher. The other is that Tsiskaridze is still lobbying for his former charge through Grigorovich. It's entirely possible that before the season is out, movie audiences will also see Rodkin as Siegfried and as Prince Kurbsky, with Nikulina as Anastasia, of course. Alas, I cannot share your enthusiasm, yudi. By plastering Nikulina and Rodkin all over the screen, the Bolshoi is taking an extremely unappealing selection of repertoire and making it even less attractive to me.

If Bolshoi would call Tsiskaridze back to coach Rodkin as The Nutcracker-Prince, that would be something to watch.

This is never, ever likely to happen as long as Sergei Filin is director of the company. There are a couple of prevailing theories in the Russian dance press about the huge, almost unseemly push Rodkin has received recently. One is that Filin wants to prove to Tsiskaridze that Rodkin can excel without his former teacher. ...

If this's true, Filin might underrate people's I.Q. Certainly, he has the power to cast dancers. But audiences could easily see Tsiskaridze's charisma influence upon Rodkin, even A. Ovcharenko. I remember, once Rodkin said in an interview that Grigorovich liked big jumpers, that's how he got Spartacus.

Anna Nikulina should be good as Marie, shouldn't she? She always impresses me as a tender lady. I would be very happy to see Andrei Merkuriev as Drosselmeyer on HD screen!

flowers.gif

Let me put it this way. I think Grigorovich's Nutcracker is ghastly, and there are almost no dancers in the world who could persuade me to watch it.

I'm trying to be as diplomatic as I can!

I don't know about that, it's so ghastly that it's good - in the same way Rocky Horror Picture Show is good. Still, not sure I want to pay $18 to see it at the theatre. After all, the Ovation TV Channel will probably have it in their Battle of the Nutcrackers again.

Would rather waste $18 on gasoline (now that it's getting cheaper) and drive down to Portland to see the OBT Balanchine Nut.

Let me put it this way. I think Grigorovich's Nutcracker is ghastly, and there are almost no dancers in the world who could persuade me to watch it.

I'm trying to be as diplomatic as I can!

I don't know about that, it's so ghastly that it's good - in the same way Rocky Horror Picture Show is good. Still, not sure I want to pay $18 to see it at the theatre. After all, the Ovation TV Channel will probably have it in their Battle of the Nutcrackers again.

Would rather waste $18 on gasoline (now that it's getting cheaper) and drive down to Portland to see the OBT Balanchine Nut.

You can take the Bolt Bus, and let someone else drive!