This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Thursday, April 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

A review of "Tanaquil Le Clercq: Afternoon of a Faun" by Kenneth Turan in The Los Angeles Times.

Offstage, says Barbara Horgan, Balanchine's longtime assistant, the story was the same: "She had a magnetic quality, she knew how to seduce people. She could fascinate anyone she wanted to."

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

An interview with Arcadian Broad of the Orlando Ballet.

Money became a constant worry as the family teetered on the edge of homelessness, and even as a preteen, Broad took on the stress.

"I assumed the role of man of the house very young," he said. "My mom was trying the best she could, but whenever we'd have problems — like we couldn't pay the rent — I'd blame myself. If my sisters wanted something, and we didn't have the money for it, I'd feel like it was my fault."

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Ballet master James Jordan heads east.

Jordan began his career as a dancer with the Kansas City company from 1981-1987 and continued as ballet master there from 1991 to the present. He has also worked for the past 18 years as a repétitéur for The Antony Tudor Ballet Trust and with its director, Sally Bliss, the trustee of the organization. In his new position, he will work directly with Webb and Assistant Director Margaret Barbieri to stage works for the company.

Related.

Jordan said the events that led to his decision unfolded rapidly in recent weeks. He was invited to Sarasota to stage a production in March of “Gala Performance” by Anthony Tudor, a British dancer and choreographer ranked as one of the most important figures in 20th century dance. Jordan is one of the choreographers authorized to stage Tudor ballets by the Antony Tudor Ballet Trust, which licenses his work.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Reviews of Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo in "Lac."

Londonist

Maillot’s choreography is mixed. There are a lot of strange pelvic thrusts, lasso-ing actions and banging of pointe shoes against the floor. Group scenes in particular have excessively energetic and vigorous movements, with constant throws, lifts and slides overwhelming Tchaikovsky’s melodic score. The central pas de deux (pictured) between White Swan Anja Behrend and Prince Stephan Bourgond does, however, offer a rare moment of creativity, musicality and tenderness.

The Guardian

This is a lot of story to tell, and Maillot choreographs it at a ferocious lick – a fusion of neoclassical and modern steps tumbling across the stage. Impressively he infuses the dancing with vividly pointed character detail, and the superb Monte-Carlo dancers work their material to the hilt.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

An interview with Lauren Cuthbertson.

In the middle of all this, though, Wheeldon came calling. He wanted her as his lead for Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland, the RB’s first original full-length ballet in 16 years.

‘We had to start really gently,’ says Cuthbertson, who glows when talking about the man who has gone on to make her something of his muse. ‘That’s true but there’s nothing contrived about it,’ she says. ‘He never makes me feel too special.’

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

A review of State Ballet Berlin by Ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

Ratmansky is currently one of the world’s most sought after choreographers. Apparently the thinking is that a company that wants to be considered up-to-date must have at least one Ratmansky in its repertory. In Germany he is making a piece to Richard Strauss music for Semperoper Ballet Dresden (to be premiered this June). Bavarian State Ballet has commissioned him to stage a new “Paquita” in December. This choreographer is praised for his fine, intelligent works and his effervescent fantasy for creating movement. “Namouna” proved none of it.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

An interview with Ashley Murphy by Gia Kourlas for Time Out New York.

Describe your ballet training with Carol Anglin. What was her focus?
We were a part of Regional Dance America. She encouraged us to do competitions. We did Joe Tremaine’s. She said it was great for us to have that kind of experience even if it wasn’t the kind of dance that we liked to do. Now I do see what she meant. It’s very important to be able to turn yourself on when it’s time to get onstage. It’s not so much about putting on a show, but finding what it is inside yourself that you need to bring out in order to engage with the audience. That was really important to learn at a young age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):