This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I think Miss Opolais did a very decent job, considering that she had only two hours of sleep before getting the request to substitute Harting, all on top of having done Butterfly that very previous night. Still, I found her a bit opaque, tired...something wasn't right in the voice department. Phillips' Musetta was a charm. Loved her. I really hope they don't mess up with this beautiful production. My mom was weeping by the end of the "snow scene".. ;-)

I've heard Opolais when she hasn't sung Butterfly the night before, woke up after 2.5 hours of sleep, and spent the whole morning in a crash course of the staging on those elaborate Zefferelli sets. I don't love her voice -- it's a little on the cold side -- but I think she's a wonderful singer.

Any reason to see Patrick Carfizzi is a win in my book.

I actually attended the Friday evening Butterfly performance at the Met. It was first time hearing Opolais. I thought she sounded shrill at the beginning, but as she warmed up she sounded much better. I would see her again. Did not like the voice of James Valenti, who sang Pinkerton.