This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Live at the MET:: La Boheme. 4/5/14

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

I think Miss Opolais did a very decent job, considering that she had only two hours of sleep before getting the request to substitute Harting, all on top of having done Butterfly that very previous night.  Still, I found her a bit opaque, tired...something wasn't right in the voice department.  Phillips' Musetta was a charm. Loved her.  I really hope they don't mess up with this beautiful production.  My mom was weeping by the end of the "snow scene"..  ;-)

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:30 PM

I've heard Opolais when she hasn't sung Butterfly the night before, woke up after 2.5 hours of sleep, and spent the whole morning in a crash course of the staging on those elaborate Zefferelli sets.  I don't love her voice -- it's a little on the cold side -- but I think she's a wonderful singer.

Any reason to see Patrick Carfizzi is a win in my book.

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

I read about this in the morning paper and thought of our discussion in another thread about last minute changes and substitutions -- what a story!

#4 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

I actually attended the Friday evening Butterfly performance at the Met. It was first time hearing Opolais. I thought she sounded shrill at the beginning, but as she warmed up she sounded much better.  I would see her again.  Did not like the voice of James Valenti, who sang Pinkerton.

#5 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

I though Grigolo's gesture of reaching for his heart under his shirt to throw it at us very charming...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):