This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet 422: Justin Peck NYCB Ballet Documentary

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:08 AM

I know a little of what you are up against... having started the first index of Dance websites [performed not social] as a service to the community at a time when most of us discussing ballet on the internet had not yet seen a webpage... By the time Google was invented, keeping up was already out of reach...

But if it could be done, how exciting!!! Even if it were only put up once, it would be fascinating!

You were a pioneer! Well, thank you! Fortunately, the folks at Dance/USA picked up where you left off. (The link takes you to Dance/USA's National Company Roster, a listing of all known 501c3 dance companies in the U.S. with expense budgets greater than $100,000 for fiscal years ending in 2012.)

#47 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:25 AM

I meant your repertory listing, :) not my index, but thanks! A budget filter certainly helps and I'm glad to see Dance/USA providing this service.

#48 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

I meant your repertory listing, smile.png not my index, but thanks! A budget filter certainly helps and I'm glad to see Dance/USA providing this service.

I knew what you meant, but I really did want to commend you for trying to keep an index of company websites going. Even today it's not easy to pull together a comprehensive list, and I'm very glad Dance/USA has committed some resources into making it happen. I use their list all the time now.

#49 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,546 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

It warms my heart to read a discussion about directories and indexes (and what that says about me I don't even want to think about!)  Thanks to you both for the intelligence and effort you put into this work!

#50 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:54 PM

I saw Ballet 422 last night and liked it very much – it seemed very much its own thing. I would have liked less of the costume designing process, and seeing more of Peck working on some small scale choreographic figures. But I didn't miss seeing the whole filmed ballet – which would have looked flat, or not quite fit with the fragmentary nature of the rest of the film.

The world of City Ballet it portrayed seemed almost monastic – the film was like an ethnographical observation of the social structures of a monastery.  Justin Peck, from the lowest rung of the ballet, the corps – as the opening title informs us – is selected to choreograph a ballet, does just that, and then immediately after the premiere sheds his suit and tie, returns to being a corps member and joins the cast of the third ballet on the same bill.

The scene where Cameron Grant takes Peck aside and suggests he take time out to talk to the orchestras is good. And also Albert Evans having to be an advocate for the dancers. Curious that the name of the piece was not mentioned until the end – only that it had been written in 1935 (at first I thought it might be RodeO).

The addition of music of the adagio movement of Symphony in C was technically ok, but perhaps too rich for the images, like a last minute spoonful of Devonshire cream, and ran against the the dry tone of the film. It might have worked with no sound  – the short excerpt of the Ratmansky ballet that Peck has rejoined, then the high shots of Lincoln Center fountains, all in silence or the natural sounds of the plaza.

#51 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

I just saw Ballet 422 and loved it. I thought it offered great insight into how collaborative the process of creating a ballet is: choreographer, musicians, costume designers, wardrobe staff, lighting designers, dancers. I recommend it highly if it is playing anywhere near you.

http://www.magpictur...f6-0b4cc0861d52

#52 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

The film will be released on DVD on May 26. Amazon is taking orders.

#53 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

I saw it last weekend and found it exceedingly boring. It was nice to see bits of Tiler, Sterling and Amar's dancing on film but there was hardly enough sustained performance footage of PAZ DE LA JOLLA to warrant a second look (or purchase the DVD). Zzzzzzz.....

I *do* love the Martinu music and wonder how Justin Peck choreographed to this score, compared to Wheeldon's fantastic work to the same music, RUSH. Alas, one cannot compare based on the bits of dancing shown in this film. However, I *can*tell that the costumes for the Wheeldon are more beautiful and unified (styles and colors).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):