This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ice Dancing

Alexandra

Christopher Dean did some fantastic choreography for the Duchesnays. I just loved their West Side Story in 1992 in which he actually utilised their brother-sister releationship. I think they were a little unlucky to peak at the same time as husband-and-wife Klimova and Ponomarenko who were very passionate skaters.

I also thought Torvill and Dean really oudid themselves in making Carmina Burana for A&P to win the 2000 Worlds. Technically and choreographically it was a masterpiece and I wish to God they'd used for the Olympics. Why more ice-dancers don't employ them is beyond me.

I watched it on tape, late last night. Not a banner year for Olympic ice dancing. The placements were fair, especially after the falls by the Italians and Canadian teams.

Gold - Annisina/Peizerat (France) - skated with more 'oomph' at Europeans but still the best of the lot last night

Silver - Lobacheva/Averbuch (Russia) - big surprise; they have really improved this year. I loved their quick footwork & passion.

Bronze - Fusar-Poli/Margaglio (Italy) - I loved the first minute of the programme, as they went 'gangbusters' speeding down the ice. such energy then - plop! down went Maurizio. They went for broke...but it broke.

4th - Bourne/Kraatz (Canada) - always an audience-pleasing team but nowhere near the difficulty as the top three teams. Yet they always try so-so hard, that the effort shows & that may be hurting them. Also...I've always had a problem with Shae-Lynn's sassy smirk; something harsh/arrogant in her otherwise-lovely face. Is it just me? Maybe she has developed this 'fighter's harshness' due to the bad luck & low markings through the years? Yet her partner Victor Kraatz is not like that; he comes across as a sweetie, although I'm sure he's tough as nails, too.

LOL, my daughter sat through the beginning of the Canadian's skate and suddenly exclaimed, "NOW I know who she reminds me of - Paloma Herrera!" I think she nailed it - same expression on her face.

I liked the Duchesnay's as well, but only while Dean was their choreographer!

Re the issue of ice dance remaining true to its ballroom roots: I have a problem with it now accepting Michael Jackson routines and NOT accepting Bolero-type skating. I suppose the rationale is that they're dancing disco but I quite emphatically believe that wasn't disco I was watching. Unlike many other folks, I LIKED the programs that weren't strictly ballroom. But to allow them and NOT to allow Bloomberg & Siebert's Scheherezade is where I think they get into trouble.

I really do think that the free skate should be precisely that: a free skate. It can still be bound by certain rules such as time spent in side-by-side skating, rules about lifts, throws, etc. They've proven their ability to skate to ballroom rhythms in the compulsories and the original dances - now let them just DANCE! So, yes, to me it's still a step backwards.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: vagansmom ]