This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

New York City Ballet in Montreal, vols. 1-4Orpheus, Serenade, Concerto Barocco, Agon, Apollo, Unicorn, Coppelia,

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#106 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Nice. Seeing early versions of Ivesiana and The 4 T's will definitely be exciting.

Liebeslieder may still appear in a Vol. 5. I myself wish there had been a broadcast of Episodes...

I updated my list today. Aside from Liebeslieder, there is still an unreleased color program (Apollo/Concerto Barocco/Glinkiana) plus a bunch of smaller things over the years, including a Chaconne and a Who Cares? with the original cast. Based on stuff people have mentioned over the years with regard to other Balanchine recordings, I'm wondering whether the more recent recordings may be held up as VAI negotiate with the performers still living for its inclusion.

Overall, CBC seems to have been better about retaining its tapes than the BBC, but who knows what they still have left. Then again, someone did find a uncut copy of The Passion of Joan Arc in an insane asylum, so we can hope...

PS: There is a German recording of Episodes. Movements 3 (w Kent) and 4 (w Estopinal) was up on Youtube for a while, but the camera angles made it as unwatchable as I remembered.

#107 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:20 AM

Episodes Movement 3 and Movement 4 (Bach Ricercata) are on YouTube.  In spite of the poor video quality, Kent and Cook in Movement 3 are astonishing to watch.

Here are the links:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZNv7d3fBj70

#108 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

PS: There is a German recording of Episodes. Movements 3 (w Kent) and 4 (w Estopinal) was up on Youtube for a while, but the camera angles made it as unwatchable as I remembered.

I've seen it recently -- it's not unwatchable so much as the camera angles and the editing turn it into a different ballet.  Fascinating, but not CB as we know it.

#109 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

I updated my list today. 

Thank you for keeping track of the progress being made.

#110 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

Episodes Movement 3 and Movement 4 (Bach Ricercata) are on YouTube.  In spite of the poor video quality, Kent and Cook in Movement 3 are astonishing to watch.

Here are the links:

Thanks for the links DB - it's a shame the video quality is so bad (perhaps beyond digitial cleanup capabilities). But it is still fun to watch. For those who still haven't seen it: the Suzanne Farrell Ballet does a couple of excerpts form Episodes (in HD) and the video stream is still available online:

http://www.kennedy-c...ideos/?id=M5627

[Starts at about the 10:00 mark]

Looking at the YouTube video now, I'm realizing this is from that same German TV series that had Concerto Barocco, and I believe other works (?), so there must be a better copy in the hands of the German broadcast company. To quote RG on this forum:

some 15 ballets were filmed by a german tv team in '73 in berlin, the problem, as it's now told by b.horgan, balanchine's assistant, was that balanchine wasn't allowed to direct or have any special say about the filming, so the results are overall a mess of busy cuts and odd angles. apparently g.b. hated the results and wanted nearly none of the results shown. the SYM IN C was shown a few times as was LIEBESLIEDER WALZER & STARS AND STRIPES. european tv has shown the BAISER, LA VALSE, DUO CONCERTANTE, SERENADE, TARANTELLA, EPISODES, CONCERTO BAROCCO and perhaps a few more. (european readers will be able to say more.) i suppose someday, b/c the films document balanchine's late company of dancers these films might be unearthed for historical purposes, tho' not likely, it would seem, while the current powers-that-be are in charge of the balanchine trust, etc.

#111 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

...   For those who still haven't seen it: the Suzanne Farrell Ballet does a couple of excerpts form Episodes (in HD) and the video stream is still available online:

http://www.kennedy-c...ideos/?id=M5627

[Starts at about the 10:00 mark]

For those whose main interest in the series of videos we're talking about is in seeing authentic performances of Balanchine's ballets, pherank's link is particularly apt.  Having watched hundreds of performances of NYCB in the last decade of Balanchine's supervision of it, along with others I recognize in TSFB's performances virtues of authentic qualities  in Balanchine performance which are harder and harder to find on stage.  For those of us whose taste runs in this direction, then, these videos - the VAI DVD series and the Millennium Stage archived previews - are really something.    

#112 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Jack, can you elaborate somewhat on what those authentic qualities are that I might be able to distinguish from other companies' performances?  Thanks in advance!

#113 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

Volume 4 is now available for pre-order on amazon.com.  Release date is scheduled for 23 September.

#114 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

I received Vol.4 today.  The video quality for the Nov.1, 1964 performances (The Four Temperaments and Ivesiana) is very good, including some nifty camera-work.  The video quality for the 1955 Afternoon of a Faun is not so good.  In addition to getting to see some great dancers there is a 3 minute introduction to the 1964 performance in which Mr. B. introduces his dancers and does a little moving himself.  Seeing Ivesiana makes me wonder if there is a video out there of the Schoenberg Op.34, also choreographed in 1954?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):