This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

New York City Ballet in Montreal, vols. 1-4Orpheus, Serenade, Concerto Barocco, Agon, Apollo, Unicorn, Coppelia,

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#91 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Likewise, thanks, though this is, as emilienne says, a partial list, I'm still grateful for anyone navigating the NYPL catalog, which seems to be beyond me.  

But, who is the choreographer of #7 in emilienne's list?  Another item I'm not finding in some of the usual places.  (A movement of a symphony suggests Massine to me, rather than Balanchine, but if his company could dance Butler to Menotti, it could dance Massine - or some other choreographer - to Schubert, I suppose.)

#92 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Likewise, thanks, though this is, as emilienne says, a partial list, I'm still grateful for anyone navigating the NYPL catalog, which seems to be beyond me.  

But, who is the choreographer of #7 in emilienne's list?  Another item I'm not finding in some of the usual places.  (A movement of a symphony suggests Massine to me, rather than Balanchine, but if his company could dance Butler to Menotti, it could dance Massine - or some other choreographer - to Schubert, I suppose.)

Jack, for the fastest and most relevant (criteria to be debated), I looked for Balanchine choreography. Unfortunately in this case I didn't parse the lines correctly. It's a ballet sandwiched between two pieces of music. Here is the original entry http://catalog.nypl....d=b15071345~S99. The music for the pas de deux is actually by Tchaikovsky, sandwiched between a performance of a Schubert and a Liszt piano concerto, but no further information on what it is. I'll go back and edit my list.

The problem with relying on the NYPL is that my research is limited to whatever they have in their collections. As shown by the Coppéliasometimes they simply don't have it. In this case, a quick look through the Balanchine biography shows that the Farrell/Morris/von Aroldingen/Martins Apollon (which I had noted as being B&W in the library collection) was filmed in color (which most plausibly also applies to the other pieces from that same L'heure du concert, including Farrell/Morris/Ludlow Concerto Barocco and a McBride/Villella Divertimento Brilliante). Oh, my kingdom for some source films...

#93 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Awesomeness.  Probably all in black and white? When was color introduced?

I didn't see this question earlier, but to answer it (general knowledge supplemented with wikipedia), color transmission was introduced in the early 50s (1953). However, most American networks continued to broadcast in black and white, switching over gradually until general consolidation into color transmission in the early 1970s.

In Canada, the CBC first shot in color in 1963, but it wasn't until 1966 that they began to transmit in color and full color service didn't begin until 1974. 

Unfortunately, this is where the bottleneck comes in. If CBC has the original tapes, then a substantial number of what I listed will be in color. Sadly, Liebeslieder will not be one of them, being shot in 1961.

#94 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

Thanks for your researches!  Does anyone know what is to be released on Vol.4?

#95 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

We're all waiting with bated breath.

#96 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

I was disappointed that Vol. 3 included a work by John Butler, The Unicorn... The work sets my teeth on edge; it never seemed to end. I thought André Eglevsky was sublime in Coppélia!

In the minority here, but I'm glad to have something of Butler's available on DVD.  He's one of a number of choreographers who were very active and influential at the time, but whose work hasn't really settled in a permanent repertory. 

#97 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

I was disappointed that Vol. 3 included a work by John Butler, The Unicorn... The work sets my teeth on edge; it never seemed to end. I thought André Eglevsky was sublime in Coppélia!

In the minority here, but I'm glad to have something of Butler's available on DVD.  He's one of a number of choreographers who were very active and influential at the time, but whose work hasn't really settled in a permanent repertory. 

The piece is 44 or 45 minutes long! The DVD should have been titled Butler in Montreal. I only bought the DVD for Tanaquil Le Clercq in Coppélia.

Not implying any reservations about his partner?

Good catch, Jack. I don't know. Le Clercq is exquisite but I expected something more... I was very happy with her performance in Concerto Barocco.

#98 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

The 4th volume is up:

http://www.vaimusic....oduct/4574.html

#99 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

Wow this is great news!  I finally get to see Ivesiana,  and Afternoon of a Faun with original dancers

#100 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

the original cast of FAUN was LeClercq and Francisco Moncion, not Jacques d'Amboise - this kinescope is the same one included on the d'Amboise compilation already on the market.

#101 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Argh, no Liebeslieder.

#102 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

beg.gif Don't lose hope.

Until then, I'm looking forward to seeing a Four Temperaments from that period. The revival of the 1970s is burned so strongly into my mind.

#103 DanielBenton

DanielBenton

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

rg, thanks for the correction on Faun.  I too would relish a Liebeslieder.

#104 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Nice. Seeing early versions of Ivesiana and The 4 T's will definitely be exciting.

Liebeslieder may still appear in a Vol. 5. I myself wish there had been a broadcast of Episodes...

#105 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

I too would relish a Liebeslieder.

I think we all would!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):