New York City Ballet in Montreal, vols. 1-4Orpheus, Serenade, Concerto Barocco, Agon, Apollo, Unicorn, Coppelia,

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#16 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

Volume! Three!

Volume! Three!

beg.gif

#17 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

Thank you for the heads up -- I'd been stalking the site to no avail.

Edited to add:  the price is currently $24.47/disk, compared to $34.95 list.

I decided I was going to buy direct so VAI gets the full price and continues to release these types of DVDs.

#18 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Plus, VAI is quoting earlier dates than Amazon.  Normally, I'd loyally support the board through the order box on this page, but this time - my order's in direct to VAI.

I've seen some of these over the years - not only are the performances superb, authentic examples of Balanchine's art, but they are well shot.

Yeah, Volume Three!  Go, VAI, go!

#19 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Just like to say, three cheers for the CBC/Radio Canada and the Canadian taxpayers that support it. A perfect example of the value of public broadcasting. Unfortunately our current government keeps hacking away at the CBC so it is a shadow of its former self and nowadays wouldn't be able to do any of this stuff they did back between the 60s and 90s.

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Just like to say, three cheers for the CBC/Radio Canada and the Canadian taxpayers that support it. A perfect example of the value of public broadcasting.

Absolutely!

#21 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Long, long past, alas. When Radio-Canada axed 'Les Beaux Dimanches' I did not despair initially because it coincided with the launch of the dedicated Artv network. Unfortunately, Artv took the predictable route of other "arts" networks in record time. The debasement of the CBC's performing arts unit, if you could even call it that, its eventual closure and the reformatting of the radio division in a vain search for a "new" audience means that American public broadcasting is in better shape these days, which isn't saying much, of course.

#22 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Unfortunately, Artv took the predictable route of other "arts" networks in record time.

Ah, the wonders of the A&E network, and Bravo television.  Every so often, when I re-watch the old Brideshead Revisited, I'm reminded that it was originally an A&E production.  From Evelyn Waugh to Duck Dynasty!

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

I should not dwell on a topic that depresses all of us.

Some time ago I remember there was news of PBS planning to release, at least for online use, some of its older arts programs. I can't find the information on the board, though I'm sure I read it here, so I don't recall whether this concerned "Live from Lincoln Center" or "Great Performances." Has there been any news on this front? Since VAI has been successful in negotiating the rights issues for these Balanchine broadcasts, I hope it would be possible for PBS to do the same.

#24 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

I hope it would be possible for PBS to do the same.

My guess is that copyright negotiations for live performances are different than television performances, if only because there are more parties involved. In addition to the performers, PBS would also have to negotiate with the musicians' union, the stage crews' union, et cetera ad infinitum, as opposed to studio personnel (musicians, etc) who are presumably already covered under a Radio Canada employment contract. 

Second, given that most of these performances are fairly old, they may not have had syndication or home video riders built in to the contract. Fewer financial terms to arrange here: you've got to negotiate with the Balanchine trust, presumably the dancers, and then it's just archival work.

Last, and probably the most depressing part: fewer of the original dancers are alive to refuse permission. The 1978 Balanchine performances on PBS originally included Allegro Brilliante (Farrell/Martins) and Rubies pdd (McBride/Weiss). I believe they were not on the home video releases because some of the dancers declined to have those performances included.

#25 tpc

tpc

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Canadian Broadcasting also has a Chaconne with Farrell and Martins

#26 emilienne

emilienne

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Canadian Broadcasting also has a Chaconne with Farrell and Martins

You're right! I've seen copies of this floating around Youtube, but had not realized that it was different (thanks brain) from the PBS broadcast. I'll add it to my list.

#27 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

I have Pas De Dix on the DVD "The Art of Maria Tallchief" and I adore it. Are these films digitized? I am thrilled to have anything from the 1950s but especially Agon and Concerto Barocco. I am guessing that Concerto Barocco was cleaned up for the Tanaquil Le Clercq documentary. I cannot wait until that film is out on DVD.

#28 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

I have Pas De Dix on the DVD "The Art of Maria Tallchief" and I adore it. Are these films digitized? I am thrilled to have anything from the 1950s but especially Agon and Concerto Barocco. I am guessing that Concerto Barocco was cleaned up for the Tanaquil Le Clercq documentary. I cannot wait until that film is out on DVD.

If it's on a DVD, then it's digitized.  ;)

You maybe wondering if they've been cleaned up or enhanced in any way - that's hard to tell since the original broadcast quality was quite crude. But it's still great to see these films.

I'm loving Vol 1, and I'm waiting for my copy of Vol 2 with bated breath - the official release date is April 20th.

#29 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

There is a bit of the Agon pas de deux on Facebook.

https://www.facebook...152425895304809

#30 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

Vol. I and II are available for pre-order on Amazon at $31.46. If you pre-order both, then you get free shipping (all orders over $35). Be sure to use the Amazon order box on this site so a sliver goes to support Ballet Alert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):