Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

I had the same problem as amiaow.

#17 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Have you tried Firefox or Safari? Although I didn't encounter the problem you described, the players on these browsers seemed to allow pre-loading of the stream.

#18 amiaow

amiaow

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

I'm using Chrome. It does pre-load, but it still plays as terribly as it does when not pre-loaded. Strange! I will attempt another browser for next week's episode and hopefully that will help. Thank you for your assistance!

#19 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Same trouble with Safari on an old iPad... But it was so worth it. I only wish there were subtitles.

#20 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

episode 6: De Vuurvogel

http://avro.nl/bloed...6_Aflevering_6/

#21 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

That is strange about the shaky, uneven streaming for some of you! I was wondering if it had anything to do with what countries you are in? I have no problems, but I am in Europe. Where are you who are having troubles? Could that be a reason? (or very likely I am just totally illiterate about these things)

-d-

#22 amiaow

amiaow

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

I'm in Brisbane, Australia which is a large city with good internet. I'm about to attempt Episode 6 so keep your fingers crossed :D

#23 love_ballet

love_ballet

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Perhaps you can try to access them via this link: http://www.uitzendin...eringen/1412034

I am really enjoying this series!

#24 macnellie

macnellie

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

Thank you Love-Ballet! That link worked! I've caught up!

#25 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

I just started watching these videos - very enjoyable so far. It's interesting how many people are choosing to speak in English.

Where did Anna Tsygankova learn her English? From Matthew Golding?  ;)
It seems to me she must have been exposed to the language for a good long while to have become so fluent, but I thought she had always danced in Europe.

#26 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

Although Russian, it looks like she's been performing in Germany, Hungary, and Monte Carlo for many years: http://www.operaballet.nl/en/node/2244

English is the new lingua franca for Europe - the one language most people are likely to understand. Younger people especially are eager to learn to improve their employability in the EU. I don't know the situation in Russia (it appears that Osipova never learned English), but in many eastern European nations, it's been required for K-12 since the fall of the Berlin Wall. In the Netherlands, English language instruction in the schools has been mandatory since WWII. They realized that in order to regain their trading status in the post-war world, they needed citizens fluent in English. I might add that Rick Steeves, in his PBS travel show on Europe, often says American's don't need to bother learning a language to travel. Seek out younger people, and you'll be amazed at how fluent they are in English, no matter the country. It's nice to learn a few greetings, but not essential, he says, and that's certainly been my experience. So she's had plenty of opportunities to learn English, if she wanted to.

#27 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:31 AM

^^ At least in Germany, where there are a large number of professional ballet companies, the languages most often used in the studio are English, French and Russian. (with local differences, depending on how many speakers of what languages are in the company and which the director/s speak/s). 

Most Europeans nowadays are at least bi-lingual, and many also have working knowledge of other languages, too. 

Pretty cool, actually. 

-d-

#28 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

All about Ashton's Dream.

episode 7: Een man op spitzen

http://avro.nl/bloed...3_Aflevering_7/

#29 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

We've come to the last episode, alas. Hans van Manen makes dinner and a new ballet, and the wardrobe department constructs some unconventional tutus.

episode 8: Dutch Doubles

http://avro.nl/bloed...8_Aflevering_8/

#30 love_ballet

love_ballet

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

I loved watching Hans van Manen work and listening to him talk about how he creates these ballets and in what ways he likes to work with the dancers. Fascinating! And hard to believe he is 81, he has such vitality. I wish there were subtitles for those of you who don't speak Dutch, as there was very little English spoken in this episode.

Too bad the series had to come to an end, it was wonderful to watch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):