This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Whelan to retire from NYCB Oct 18, 2014

Atmosphere at Wendy's farewell was electric! The number of dancers, past and present, unbelievable. And I have NEVER seen the promenade level so jam packed.And the outpouring of love from the auduence; a standing ovation for La Sonnambula and, of course at the finale. At the first intermission it took us 5minutes to get from one side to the other. Wendy is such a unique and beloved dancer. The only reason I can write now (and not cry) is that I kmow we will see more of her with Restless Creature and other projects. She's not done yet, only this first chapter:)

What a wonderful night. Full of NYCB alumni: Jacque d'Amboise (who gave Wendy a final waltz at the curtain calls), Damian Woetzel, Philip Neal, Jock Soto, Janie Taylor, Sebastian Marcovici. Saw ABT people there: David Hallberg, Stella Abrera, Gillian Murphy, Ethan Stiefel, Irina Dvorovenko. Wonderful farewell. Concerto DSCH was my favorite moment. During After the Rain the whole house was quite literally pindrop silent.

Heads up! $20 tickets available for restless creature at the joyce! I just bought three for Sunday matinee may 31. It's the only matinee of the run. With phone service charges the cost was $69 for 3, one center ticket a few rows back is $75. I'll crane my neck a little!

Whelan had the good fortune to be assigned the most lyrical sections of the music to dance. I wonder who will get assigned her part when Pictures returns in 2015. Maybe poor Sara can get out of her previously assigned part of jumping around breathlessly and bruising herself as she slams down to the floor, and instead upgrade to Wendy's more balletic role. As an aside, the movement that Amar Ramasar is doing is straight out of Paul Taylor.