This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet 2014-15 season

I thought the McGregor Woolf Works looked interesting, although I can't find any information about the Richter score they are using. Amy Seiwert used it for Travelling Alone, a 20-minute (or so) piece she did for Colorado Ballet in 2012, repeated last weekend. I love that music -- very postmodern, with some hints of Glass. But I'm not sure about a full-evening of that or whether it's a new/commissioned score or several existing pieces. When Robbins did Glass Pieces, he picked out some of the most danceable excerpts from existing Glass scores, so perhaps that's what McGregor is doing. It would be even better if the new McGregor overlapped another piece (like the La Fille) to make a trip from the US especially worthwhile.

My mistake -- McGregor is using a commissioned score by Richter:

Acclaimed British composer Max Richter (Infra and Sum) creates a specially-commissioned score that incorporates electronic and live music.
Edited by California

It's looking like no one wants to take a chance on a mixed bill for one of these screenings.

And I thought that eventually someone would have to take the plunge, because there just aren't enough full-lengths to go around. The consequence is predictable. If this season the ROH screenings were split 50/50 between opera and ballet, next season the imbalance returns, with 7 operas and 4 ballets.

It's the repetition that I find frustrating -- we saw Alice and Swan Lake this year. If I was following the company closely, I'd be pleased to get another go at those works, but they're using this medium to reach out to a larger audience. I think they should present a broader view of themselves.

It's the repetition that I find frustrating -- we saw Alice and Swan Lake this year. If I was following the company closely, I'd be pleased to get another go at those works, but they're using this medium to reach out to a larger audience. I think they should present a broader view of themselves.

Agreed. In addition, I'd request a better distribution of dancers. They've already had Cuthbertson AND Lamb perform Alice for the screenings...and they are the only principals who do the role. Stix-Brunnell and Choe do it as well, but as they are soloists, I doubt they would be allocated a screening. So who is left for Alice next year (for the third time around)? I'm happy the screenings exist, but the RB has a very rich rep--let's see it!

It will be broadcast in Europe, Japan, Australia and Brazil, but the Canadian screening was called off a couple of months ago, and an American screening was never scheduled the American distributor doesn't have it scheduled either. In Canada the Cineplex chain says, "A Winter’s Tale live, on Monday, April 28, 2014, has been canceled for broadcast in Canada. The Royal Ballet and Arts Alliance expect that this title will return next season."

Well, it is a co-production with the Canadians, so I could understand why there would be an embargo, but it had been, until recently, on the schedule of my local cinema, which has shown all the other programs this year.

Whatever the reason, phoey!

I don't exactly know why having a choreographer who has never worked in ballet before is a point of pride. Ballet has a wonderful vocabulary to use and expand upon. I can certainly be argued out of this, but it seems to me that a choreographer who is creating on a ballet company should be comfortable with ballet vocabulary, otherwise why use such highly trained dancers. My thoughts are not totally formulated on this, obviously.

but it had been, until recently, on the schedule of my local cinema, which has shown all the other programs this year.

Oddly enough, Seattle still shows up on the ROH map, but the link leads to Bicester in Oxfordshire. Likewise Los Angeles has become confused with Innsbruck, which has a "Hollywood Multiplex," and Santa Fe with Barcelona, which has a cinema on Carrer de Santa Fe de Nou Mèxic.

Let's just hope the ballet comes back next season as Cineplex promises.

It's still far away, but the Royal Ballet has published some casting for its autumn run of Manon. As of today, the cinema broadcast is to star Marianela Nuñez and Federico Bonelli. The other important bit of news is that Francesca Hayward will debut as Manon during the run.

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/manon-by-kenneth-macmillan

The broadcast of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is to feature Lauren Cuthbertson and Bonelli, both of whom have already been filmed in the ballet, though not together.

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/alices-adventures-in-wonderland-by-christopher-wheeldon