This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I am sad to tell you all that Marc Platt died yesterday, March 29th, 2014. He was born on December 2nd, 1913 and celebrated his 100th birthday with a beautiful party last year organized by his wonderful family. He died peacefully surrounded by his loving family and friends... Marc was a treasure. He was one of the last of that great generation of dancers of the Ballets Russes represented so beautifully in the Ballets Russes documentary in which he was featured. He was a star on Broadway, creating the role of "Dream Curly" in the original Broadway production of "Oklahoma!". He was featured in the later film, as well. In addition to being a featured star on Broadway, he made several films including "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (he was brother Daniel!), "Tonight and Every Night", and "Down to Earth" among several others. From 1962 to 1970 he was principal choreographer of the ballet at Radio City Music Hall. He married Jean Goodall who was a dancer appearing in several films including "Carousel", "Guys and Dolls", and "Pajama Game". Together, they owned ballet schools and created local companies from 1962 through 1992 in both New York and Florida. Marc moved to California in 1994 to be closer to his family. In addition to being a guest artist in several Bay Area local company productions including Marin Dance Theater, Marc became a good friend to me and to Santa Rosa Dance Theater. He would come and watch rehearsals, coach, and give wonderful, always "spot on" feedback to our students. We adored him!!! He will be greatly missed by his family and friends. What an amazing man and artist! It was a blessing to know him...

R.I.P. So happy to hear Marc Platt lived a long life. I love that 7 Brides videoclip and have watched it so many times throughout the decades. I always follow Jacques d'Amboise around in it, although he doesn't have as much dancing to do as a few of the others. Now I've got Marc Platt to watch, too.