This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

50th Anniversary Artistic Director Discussion

Watched the director's panel and was struck by the fact that, since E Virginia Williams handed the directorship to Violette Verdy, they've been alternating male and female in that job. I'm sure that wasn't on purpose, but it's an interesting phenomenon.

I am hoping to watch both this week. I do think there was a very short period of time when Jonathan McPhee acted as director. In addition, Maina Gielgud was hired after Holmes, but in a very short period of time she came to an agreement with the Board that it was not going to work out. That was in 2001, I believe. I am not really sure what happened; I have only read that there were artistic differences.

They mentioned both of them -- I wasn't taking notes but the gist was that Gielgud stepped down before her term officially started, and I believe it was McPhee and one other person that held down the fort for a time until they got the current director.